Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sassy561

Could an antibiotic...

Does anybody know if an antibiotic could be used to clear a cyst? I have a stubborn cyst and I've tried everything including a cortisone injection. I just thought that since its basically an infection under the skin, perhaps an antibiotic may help it clear? Going to the derm on Tuesday but thought I'd ask you folks for opinions.

they might put you on an antibiotic but odds are first they'll inject it again with more stuff to see if goes down.

Try taking some asprin too...might help with the inflammation.

Does anybody know if an antibiotic could be used to clear a cyst? I have a stubborn cyst and I've tried everything including a cortisone injection. I just thought that since its basically an infection under the skin, perhaps an antibiotic may help it clear? Going to the derm on Tuesday but thought I'd ask you folks for opinions.

A cyst is not an infection under the skin, however a cyst can become infected.

An oral antibiotic will not clear a cyst. Antibiotics only fight against bacteria, and will only help in a cyst if it is infected. Once you clear the bacteria, you still have a cyst to deal with.

A cyst can be absorbed by the body, but many will remain until some type of treatment is done.

Lancing is the only way to clear it.

Lancing is good for a boil, but will not clear a cyst. Lancing a cyst will only allow you to extract the contents. It will not allow you to get the cyst structure itself. If you don't get the internal cyst structure, the cyst will usually refill.

dermpro,

what is the medical/technical name for the cortizone that is injected in cysts, if you know?

thanks

Kenalog is probably the most common one, but is not the only one.

Antibiotics only fight against bacteria

A couple or derms have told me that as well as fighting bacteria, antibiotics do help reduce inflammation, although I think they merely prevent future imflammation, than on current lesions

Antibiotics only fight against bacteria

A couple or derms have told me that as well as fighting bacteria, antibiotics do help reduce inflammation, although I think they merely prevent future imflammation, than on current lesions

The cyclines are said to have a slight anti-inflammation quality to them, but I'm not aware of any studies that conclusively proves this. However, given that inflammation is one of the body's responses to infection, you would decrease inflammation if you decrease the bacteria load. IOW, you create many changes by going on oral antibiotics, but antibiotics themselves just fight against bacteria.

Dermpro (or others)-I have an appointment tomorrow to perhaps receive my second injection into this cyst. Any chance the second time may be the charm? I'm sorry but the only reason I am in such a panic about this is becasue I've never had anything persist on my face this long. (6 wks)

Hi Sassy,

usually the second time IS the charm for a persistant cyst. The derm will probably inject significantly more formula this time now that they know it is reluctant to go down. Don't worry. you'll clear it.

Before you go, try to take some asprin, which will help with inflammation.