Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well well what can i say really.... was ambling along through life just kinda putting up with acne until i stumbled upon this little jem of a website, have been reading all of your personal journals (which really are great i might like to add!) but never really built up the courage to start one of my own (i no pathetic!!).. But here i am and i am really scared no one is gonna want to reply.. but oh well lol its worth a go. And to be honest the only condition my mum would let me have accutane was either starting a journal on here or writing it down in a diary (you no im sure youve all experienced the over paranoid parents convinced that after one pill you are gonna fall into severe depression and kill yourself!)

Anyways i have a fairly similar story to most, am 18 yr old female mild/moderate acne and have had acne whole way thru teens, although its never realy been that bad or seemd to bother me much until the last two yeasr in which i seem to have tried a billion different antibiotics/birthcontrol pills and OTC creams etc as well as spening a billion pounds on all the new Clearsil/Clean and clear etc etc products (i really do sipise those companies by the way!! grrr). so finally managed to get an apointment with derm (6 months later) and was prescribed accutane. Lol had my whole speech /act sorted thought i would have to break down in tears and beg for it but one look and she quite hapily prescribed to me!! result. anyways 4 weeks and three (yes 3!! they lost first set, and second set became void or something) blood test later, and here i am just about to pop my first pill!!

Anyways have bought all of the products anyone has ever recommended and all vitamins and fingers crossed this might just work for me!

Products : Cetaphil cleanser, euracil (bottels and bottels of stuf thought better to buy in bulk!), vit E, vit C, zinc, fish oil, still on dianette... o and ample amounts of cotton wool buds and vaseline for that rather unpleasant nose cracking... nice

Well i guess ive got a lot to look forward to,, sorry its so long, anyone else starting around now?????

Good luck mwa x x x

Good Luck with Accutane, I'm a month in and so far, so good. I was taking Vit. E but stopped because I did want some of the peeling, really on my face.. hasn't occured yet? Oh well. I will stop by to give guidence where I can every now and then. Just remember. Keep your head up, Accutane is a rollercoaster.

aww thanks thats really sweet of you.. yerh i no its gonna be a tough journey but im kinda all out of options. I just cant wiat to get back to my old self n get back out to all those wicked nights out i used to have when skin was ok...

Was reading your journal actually today, seems like you had pretty rough time to start out but am really glad to hear everything is going ok so farr. you proabably dont realise it but you come along such long way in just a month its really great! So weird to hear other peeps talk and artitculate exactly the same thuoghts and feelings that you are going thru when all along i though i was only one...

anyways thanks for replying, love the way ppl look out for each other here.. better be off and prepare for my long awaited weekly installment of LOST!!!! very exciting, anyone else into that atm. x

Hey, forgot to mention fairly vital point that am on 40mg (2 x 20mg) daily, not sure for how long.....

Anyways

Day 1

nothing, zilch, nada, nil

dont really no what i was expecting to happen really, its funny coz even after still reading all of everyone elses experiences you still kinda have this hope that you will be the one that it will work magically for and the first day you will wake up with beautifully clear skin!! i dont think so lol

so... Day 2

nothing really to report at all. Have been popping all my pills/vitamins etc (6 in total, is this normal?)but nothing really seems to be happening . i no i no its only day 2 but we can hope cant we lol

Anyways if anyone is reading who has already gone thru this, i have a few questions...

1. is it ok to take both pills in eve, thought this would be better as dont eat much in morning.

2. Also what kinda high fat foods do ppl recomend (have heard quite alot that taking pills with fatty foods increases absorption, makes sense really)

3. everyone says that you must drink loads of water but how much as a guide, coz i dont drink that much n find it really hard to drink massive quantaties of it.4.

4. last one.. and i no that it is different for everyone but when does this dreaded intial breakout begin n how long does it usually last... coz i am really really really dreading it. Have a few birthdays coming up n might have to back out if its really awfull..

5. oo sorry one more does anyone no how much the tane affects sun on skin.. coz am going away to africa (am from UK and its winter) and i dont want to completely frazzle. also am going travelling etc to thailand /ausi in feb and i will still b on tane, should b bout 3 months in i think.

Sorry for questions just am really new to all this n would help loads if someone could help out with them

thanks mwa x

Day 2 (i no ive already said ive had day two but worked out today is actually proper day two, i no its v v hard counting days)

Anyways well today isnt a brilliant one, not really experiencing any of the side effects (i no i shouldnt really b expecting much this early on), however i do think i have a few 'halos', as ppl round here call them, of dry skin appearing round my existing pimples... apart from that tho, im afraid no news.

I guess it doesnt really help to b an impatient person whilst on tane, but like most round here i most def am and i just cant wait, literally cant wait for there to be some imrpovements. Am just so sick and tired of waking up in the morning and hoping that there will be some improvement, or at least no newies, but then your heart sinking when u look in the mirror...... grrrrrrr. then spend half an hour trying to put make up on to cover it up and the end result seems even worse that the one you started with, orange cakey face with ;arge and smal visible bumps everywhere, nice and attractive!!!.. grrrr im am so so so sick of this.

Dont you just feel that you want to just crawl into a hole an hibernate through the whole tane journey and emerge a beautiful clear version of your former self with all your confidence and self worth restored!!!! grrrrrr i am so pissed of with this bloody acne.

lol sorry for the vent but had to ge it out.. hope everyones well whos reading n good luck with whatever your currently trying, x

Yes, I know how you feel... I live in a share-house close to my uni, and I so wish I could have some more privacy during my intital break-outs... :wall: (As i prefer to remove my make-up whenever I'm home ,) and don't like people seeing me like that)

Also, I decided not to drink ( not much , anyway) on tane, my housemates must think I'm the most boring and lonely person in the world... sigh...

Imagine not having acne and not have to worry about these things... I'm seven weeks in , btw.. Finally seeing some improvements, but still a long way to go..

Yeah, I LOVE lost!!! its brilliant how they fit all kinds of details into each episode...

Hi Little one!

I've been on 'tane for two months and almost three weeks, starting out at 40 mg/day (now I'm at 60) and I remember being just as excited as you were when I started! Not that I don't still appreciate this drug, because I do, but after you're on it for awhile (and especially after you start seeing results) you'll probably not post so much, unless you have questions.

Anyway, your acne sounds just like mine! I hope we're both able to stay clear for a loooooong time after our courses! Good luck!

ello mis oxford: thanks for the mesage. i no what you mean, i really feel for you having to go thru this whilst at uni must b a bummer n i no exactly what you mean bout drinking etc lol. When i decided to take tane i was like you know what, i want to do this prop! so i quit drinking and thus kinda started goign out less and now all my friends think ive turned into some kinda recluse or something (supose i kinda have lol). its quite funny but i realy dont wanna tell them, i no its nothing to feel embarresed or disgraced about but it kinda makes me feel like that, and ive known them all my life so must b really horrible with ppl you dont really know.. but oxford heyyy (take it your at uni there) thats a result!! what you studying? i live quite close so know quita a few ppl there myself..

and lost.. well what can i say, absolute quality show!! love every second of it.. but if it turns out to be a monster or massive dinosaur or something that keeps crashing thru the forest and picking ppl off.. then i will be v v v angry, i might cry lol, coz that would b soo unrealistic (as if a plane falling from 30000 ft and 50 ppl surving isnt!!).. o well you gotta love it. N its a great distraction from al this crap!

soo carys, ive been following your journal. thanks so much by the way for sticking with it, helped me so much before i decided to start my own. Yerh i totaly related to you, i think ours sounds pretty similar.. thanks for dropping by n the support, im sure you know yourself how much it means whilst going thrught the early guelling stages of this crap!! and yerh i know ive found it pretty common, whilst reading all these journals, that everyone seems to write so much, like 10 times a day, during the early period and then they kinda dissapear. suppose it makes sense tho, i mean once your life starts gettting back on track you wanna get back out there and make up for lost time!!!

Am so glad to see your seeing improvement, just hope its plain sailing for you from now on. everyone deserves it, especialy with they years we have had to put up with this!!

anyways thanks both of you for gettin in touch. I am at work today n just went to loo and looked in mirror and did i have a shock. dont you find you kinda stop thinking bout what you look lke sometimes, and then you catch a glimps and yourn like,"f*************k have i been waltzing around chatting to ppl at work looking like this!!! shit, lol. oh wells

anyways catch you all later mwa x

Thanks for your support:)

lol, i'm not in oxford... I just really couldn't think of a nick, and had a look around in my room, and i was writing an assignment from a book published in oxford... lol... i'm so not creative...

i study economics, btw.. in australia. i don't know whether it's because of tane, or being under a lot of stress lately, but i'm REALLY tired atm... Hope it won't affect my grades too much..

but i'm really from scandinavia.. (explains my english..;))(ro)accutane isn't really that common there, so it doesn't matter whether i tell my friends or not. They have no idea what it is anyway ;) i just told them i'm on meds that doesn't mix well with alcohol.. it kind of sucks, tho, cause not even my family understands how serious this drug is, they just think it's like any other drug..

here in australia everyone seem to know what it is, so i've told some friends... i figured it's no secret i have acne anyway (they're not blind.... lol..), so why keep it a secret that i'm trying to do something about it... I'm going home over the christmas break, so my big goal is to wear no make-up on the airports and flights home ( three flights, more than 24 hours..).. let's hope a clear up like 90 % by then ;) do you ever go out "au naturale"?

yeah.. about catching a glimpse of yourself in a mirror... if your reaction to tane is anything like mine, i'll warn you.. during the first few weeks, a pimple/cyst can pop up in less than an hour.. like.. in the morning, no cyst, at lunch-time:massive cyst.. you don't even see it coming, cause they don't hurt as much and are not as deep.. I had a couple of "shockers"

:think:

lol gosh and i thought i was not very creative he he......

i kinda know what you mean bout your family n friends not understand how serious it is. Ive told one friends n i dot really know what i was expectig, but after wekks/months of having to build myself p to b brave enuf to take, but her reaction was very minimal!! lol o well, but then on the other hand my family (mum in particular) has taken it into her own hands to play the very very over protective and over concerned parent role, as my dad has absolutely no clue about it.. anyways the first time my derm mentioned it n i told her serisouls the next day she had done about 3 hours research on the internet and had printed out loads of studies researching the link between sucide etc and accutane, and had already decided it was too dangerous.... so i just upulled the whole im 18 i can do what i want with my life argument n she just had to kinda deal with it... but shes still so worried every morning and evening she asks me how im feeling and i have to give her a complete run down of everything and if i have ths slightest argument with my younger bro shes like o my gosh your depressed, these are the first signs you must stop etc etc and breaks down having some kinda nervous break down lol v v v funny...

anyways your soo brave to move away from home to study, gosh im scared about going to uni 2 hours away from home let alone 24 hours!!!!!!!

well i hope all is well, i guess its lovely summer in ausi now. Went there at xmas couple of years ago n loved it so we are gonna stop of for couple of weeks during our round the world travels in feb!! where are you exactly

hope your ok, smile mwa x

lol... i'm sure your mum will calm down eventually... how long will you be on tane for?

i'm in perth, western australia... i know, it should be summer by now... but no! it's actually raining right now, and it has been cold and raining a LOT lately.. :confused: and this time last year it was like 40 C and sunny... oh well, at least i don't get burned... ;) since i'm going home to winter soon, i was hoping to build a bit of a tan(with spf 50 of course, lol), but we'll see about that...

what places did you visit in oz last time? you wrote you're going to thailand too? i was there last february... brilliant.. make sure you bring the lonely planet guide, it's sooooo helpful if you're doing a bit of backpacking..

hey hey everyoneeeeee, sorry i havent been intouch recently have had a veryy busy weekend.

So i was just reading back over my blog and its not quit as concise and easy to follow as i would like. so im just gonna give quick run down of what my first week on accutane has been for anyone following:

So im on 40mg a day (2 x 20mg pills) and have now been on them for one week. I decided to take both pills at the same time after my evening meal , rather than one in the morning. This is because i dont eat much fat at breki n i want these babies to be absorbed as much as pos!!

Day 1: Nothing much, just patch of exisiting acne on my chin.

Only really ever had acne on chin, and at that its usually fairy mild but veryyy stuborn!!!

Day 2: No change

Day 3: Existing acne dissapearing, waxy appearance on face

Day 4: no change in oil production, no more acne. Acne from begining still here slowly dissapearing. Cant stop picking tho so this might be slowing healing process.. small rings of dry skin appearing round pimples

Day 5: skin on chin pealing where old pimples were, make up difficult to apply due to pealing skin

Day 6: no new acne, old acne still here (seems to b taking longer to heal), skin still a bit peely

Day 7 (one week gone): still no drastic changes, no new acne, just few healing pimples on chin. they are drying up and flattening.

Overview of first week: to be honest, i ve not really seen any really noticable effects if this drug yet!!! If i hadnt known i was on this drug i definately dont think i would have even noticed the slight drying. Having said that from day 1 i have been using all of the right products, gentle cleanser and plenty of moisturiser, dianette, all the vits and lots of water, so in a way i think this cuold have prevented the drying effect! Whilst im really worried that the drug isnt working yet im also still really wary that the intial breakout might still happen....

Has anyone else not noticed any changes within the first week. :think: i thought that being on 40 mg a day i would def notice some side effects but am bit worried i havent.

anyways hope everyone is well, x

Well its Day 8 and i still dont have anything much to report, still no sign of any side effects.. really only good news, which i suppose makes me really boring lol. all acne that was around previous to begining accutane has cleared up nicely (despite my constant picking) and i have been left with a nice chin full of red marks, great! but most important thing is no active acne atm, fingers crossed. Am bit skeptical tho that this is it and i will just keep improving, of course this is what i hope but fully doubt. I think maybe its just taking a while to kick in!! also i havent really noticed this improvement in skin texture/tone that alot of people seem to comment on.. if anythingwhilst my active acne has improved slightly, my skin texture/tone has got worse.. large open pores etc, lots of redish scarsn poc marks (as me derm pointed out) from my old acne. i really hope this eventually improves on acutane

Reasons why i dont think much effect:

1. Been using euceril since day 1 and cetaphil so skin is def not irritated

2. started back on dianette same time as accutane. have been on it before and it helped clear up my skin nicely but it just came back so i went off it for a couple of months. Maybe starting back on it i conjunction with accutane is preventing intial breakout???

3. Took both sat and sun night pills on empty stomach with no food, i no this is a big no no. but was extremely busy at work and i either took them with nothing or didnt take them. Have read tthat it is extremely important to take pills with food so that they are fully absorbed. think this may be why i have not experienced any effects of accutane yet

4. Maybe im just gonna b the ony one that it doesnt affect, in either a good or bad way...

anyways, firts wekk on accutane has not been a problem in the slightest,no side effects etc

Quick question, how important is it to stay out on sun on accuatne. and if you have to b in sun how much protection do you need. and is it at all possible, if you make sure that your wearing 40 at all time, to get a tan??? coz the best my skin ever gets is with a tan, it really really helps with my skin tone!

if anyones reading, good luck with whatever your currently trying. hope this log helps a bit x

this is absolutley bizarre...... since starting this drug i have been tentatively waiting for all of the awfull side effects and Intial breakout to kick in, but one week in and i am completely clear for the first time in a couple of years. No active acne, just a few scabs from the last few toughies i had when starting accutane and lots of red marks...

This must be Day 9: i mentioned yestereday that i hadnt had any of the conventional side effects but yesterday my whole face and scalp (particulary my chin, the area where i used ot have all my acne) was soooooooo itchy. Having spent half an hour applying my make and eventually looking half normal, by 10.00 the itchiness had reduced my to scratching all of it off basicaly. But the wonderful thing was when i looked in the mirror, the dreaded face without make up im used to seeing wasnt there, i mean it nwasnt beautifull but there wernt any active acne!! was great

Also am def experiencing the dry lips, but is very mild. am convinced that this is because i have been using the aquaphor religiously since it arrived, and that was two weeks prior to starting accutane. Am also convinced that my clear skin is due to the combination of starting dianette again with accutane

However although my skin looks clear, i can stil feel bumps under the skin on my forehead, nose and chin. although they are not visible i thought that accutane would clear these out also. To b honest im not convinced this is how its gonna be for the rest fo the four months. I just think me clearing is coincidental and that i still have the Intial out break and crappness to come. Def not looking forward to that, especially after ive had a taste of almost clear skin.. o well, sigh

o also before i forget, a couple of mornings ago i woke up with a large blister on my forearm. Have no idea where it came form but it really hurt, after a day i popped it and clear liquid ran out. Now although my mum was quick to attribute this to accutane i was skeptical as id never heard of anyone to experience similar side effects. But this morning i woke up with another blister on my upper arm. Is almost like a burn, really hurts to touch.. now i have absolutely no idea where they have come from and have never had them before. Has anyone noticed anything at al similar??????

anyways better be off, cheers x

itchy, itchy, itchy

arghhhhhhhhhhhhh..... the itchiness is unbearable. cant stop itching and scratching.. although still mostly on face. it snow spread to arms n legs..ekek. everywhere is so so itchy, especially scalp and developing slight rash on arms n legs whih i assume is related to the itchiness.. is thi normal????

itchy, itchy, itchy

arghhhhhhhhhhhhh..... the itchiness is unbearable. cant stop itching and scratching.. although still mostly on face. it snow spread to arms n legs..ekek. everywhere is so so itchy, especially scalp and developing slight rash on arms n legs whih i assume is related to the itchiness.. is thi normal????

Even though its a rare side effect af roaccutane, severe itching is usually related to liver dysfucntion. Bile salts from your liver can accumulate and irritate the skin. Sometimes itching can be psychologic, so maybe you should check it out with your doctor, it may just be a transient thing, good luck!

ps you're on a small dose and not on it very long so it may not be liver related

Edited by collegegeek

thanks for the reply.. gosh that sounds a bit scary..

to b honest i think i prob was over reacting a tad earlier, i mean dont get me wrong i was itchy but i think your right in that im kinda looking for side effects and it probably isnt as bad as i think.... atually whats worrying me more are these skin blisters ive got. ive never had anything similar before in my life but since starting accutane two have appeared on my arms. they are really sore and seems like its a reaction or something to the drug... little worrying as i havent heard of any similar reactions from others.. have you by any chance.

much appreciate the help and reply x

Yeah sorry to scare ye, I had a rash on my foot for a few days and it went awat was prob nothing, your's just sounded a bit worse. I have 2 big red spots on my arms, don't know why which also itch could be the same thing? I freak every out with them! Not only is my face messed up so are my arms!

lol yerh probably nothing, funny how once yoy start this drug, everyone becomes so parnoid and super alert to pick up any change to their body and blame it on accutane. the thing is if they didnt hurt like a bitch, then i wouldnt worry much but the blisters really do.. and they look really sick lol.. i mean im more worried about what they look like than what the situation is on my face lol, i suppose thats a first!!

anyways thanks for all you help x

hey littleone!

how are you? i've started week 8 now! still waiting for the big clear-up :pray: it's partially my fault, since i'm a big time picker... but if i was clear, i wouldn't have anything to pick, would i :angel:

probably no reason to freak out about the itchiness just yet... itchiness is a veeery typical sign of irritation to some product... My scalp started to itch about a week or two into my course, just meant I needed to switch to a more gentle shampoo! make sure you use something really mild without chemicals.. eg. Simple or some organic shampoo... (find that conditioner doesn't matter as much, since it doesnt have to be applied as closed to the scalp).

also, i start to itch if i take too long or hot showers... (just gotta looove those long, hot showers tho)

(makes you more dry, i suppose)

dunno about the blisters tho.. but i got a pimple on one of my wrists and a finger! (wtf...) and an infection under one of my finger nails (guessing picking caused it) :evil:

hey miss oxford.... yerh i know it prob makes sense really, just feels like ive been bitten my a million gazillion mosquitos. but at leats its a side effect.. yey which must mean that (a) i am definately taking the drug and not some kinda placebo theyve fobbed me off with, as i previously began to think and (b) that it is working!!!!

anyways yerh the blisters arnt nice at all, hurt like anything!! def hope its not seom kinda allergic reaction... thatn would be the worst!!

o yerh and the picking.. well in my mind any one that doesnt pick has super human wil power.. or something along those lines. coz ever since ive had acne i just cant resist it. and im not convinced it makes things worse. back in the day when id get to the eve and have a chin full of pimples, i would have a a little piccking/squeezing sesh, wash face and put bp on it ova night. and almost always id wake up with the situation better.. also you know when old pimples are drying out n go flat and flaky and start lifting(like on accutane) at the sides thats even moreeeee impossible to resist. so dont worry your not the only one. as much as i want to i cant stop picking either.

anyways hows the weather picked up down there... am sure it cant possibly b as bad as up here, got down to 2 degrees lats night. i froze just running from my car to my friends door (wasnt wearing any shoes tho, so.... not the best of ideas when its near freezing)

anyways thanks for the reply, hope your ok x

Heya little one! Just thought I'd have a look over your log, sounds like your doing ok, well except for the itchyness, sounds very hard to resist. I'm like that with picking, if theres skin there hanging off waiting to be picked off, I just can't help it! :doh: I hope the blisters don't come up too often, they sound quite painful, I know how painful it is when you get them on your feet if you've been walking for ages, can't imagine it on my arm! Lol, your mum sounds like my mum, she was worried too, don't think she knows too much about the whole suicide issue :shhh: better not tell her, she'll only get worried! Anyway, hope all is well, I'm still going through another breakout on my third week, its all up and down all the time, just can't wait till it's all over! Good luck with everything! x

Hi there!

I am totally with you on wondering how nice it must be to just NOT have acne and NOT have to worry about it!! Good luck, glad you're seeing progress!

Julie

Yes, I know how you feel... I live in a share-house close to my uni, and I so wish I could have some more privacy during my intital break-outs... :wall: (As i prefer to remove my make-up whenever I'm home ,) and don't like people seeing me like that)

Also, I decided not to drink ( not much , anyway) on tane, my housemates must think I'm the most boring and lonely person in the world... sigh...

Imagine not having acne and not have to worry about these things... I'm seven weeks in , btw.. Finally seeing some improvements, but still a long way to go..

Yeah, I LOVE lost!!! its brilliant how they fit all kinds of details into each episode...

awww... thank you julielm... i guess we'll all just have to remember that WHEN ( :pray: ) accutane clears us, we wont take it for granted, but be really happy :dance:

hey littleone.. how are those blisters going?i guess you should call your derm? have you? even if it's not serious, i'm sure he'll come up with something you can put on them to make them go..show them no mercy :evil:

yeah.. i know, sometimes picking is not the end of the world, and it can help a little.. but on the tane, it's a disaster.. i think about 1 month in or something, the skin becomes so fragile, just a careful little squeeze can make a whole shitload of skin come off... result: HUGE scab... :doh: i guess making a massive scab out of a small pimple ( i usually pick the smallies, for some reason, they annoy me sooo much.. ), is not a brilliant idea.. but you know... been doing it for years, so it was really naive of me to think i would be able to quit just because of accutane..

the weather is improving.. not raining anymore.. but "only" 23 degrees... guess it doesn't matter, i've only got two weeks left... have to do 3 exams first...yey... should be reading right now i guess... going to the gym first :whistle:

Hello everyone guess this is Day 10

so skin situation, is actually (and neverrr thought id here myself say this) great!!! like no new acne all old pimples shrivelled up n died.. i mean ive still got scarring and red marks but the progress so far is astonishing!! although am still only week one and think that i will encounter some harder times as this drug gets properly stuck in..

.. bad news bout blisters tho, my first one that i kinda popped has gone really bad is swolen and red all around it and reallllly painfull... my second has gone down but still sore and swollen.. It is all so bizarre.. My rents are away but i text them to tell them anyways.. my mum phoned up in a massive panic (she works in health profession, so always gonna be hyper alert bout side effects etc) she is convinced its an allergic reaction, and to b honest it does look that way... arghhhhhhhhhhhhh am v scared.. i had to stop my medication last night and get an emergency apointment with gp today and also phone derm... am really scared. i hope to god that it isnt an allergic reaction and she will take it away from me.. i def couldnt handle that.. i cant go back to how i was 2 weeks ago (so depressed and down bout skin, was v badd), i mean ive had a taste of the wonders this drug can potentially work on our skin, really dont know what id do if it was taken away.... eek

am very worried, anyways am going later so will update of the latest info

thanks for all your relpis and posst will write back to yal later, mwa x