Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I recently havnt had time or money to go pick up my usual regimen, So lately all I have been doing is washing my face when i take a shower and originally i thought my faced is totally FCKED right? Wrong, my acne hasnt gotten worse it has almost gotten better. Can anyone explain this?

ya its jsut temp though.... cause ur skins used to all the harsh chemicals... then u give ur skina break and it gets better for a bit then it goes to shit again.. atleast its what i expierenced

Same with me. A regimen with just water will cause you to break out in a few days. That's what happened to me when I tried this idea. Your better off just drinking the water if you want a real "water-only" regimen.

This is the best thing to do if you have acne. Your acne will DEFINATELY become better washing once a day. Washing twice actually makes acne and oil worse. Stick with the once a day(use a gentle soap), your acne WILL stop.

I thought it was only me but I experience the same thing! Sometimes I just don't have time to wash my face at night and when I wake up the next day, my face seems a lot calmer and better. But I never had the guts to do this long term.

Guest james11

Maybe you should stop smoking the chronic!

Guest « Clara »

Constant use of harsh chemicals (in certain cleansers) can make acne want to grow and expand more. Better off using a gentle cleanser so that doesn't happen. Or use Hibiclens or something that'll kill most germs before they get aggrivated.

It doesn't work in the long run. It's similar to the effect some seriously ill people observe when they stop taking medication: they feel better briefly, then ultimately everything goes to hell. There's a sort of transitional moment where you are still getting the benefits of your now abandoned regimen but without the side effects (irritation, more oil, etc.) So things seems to improve. But then it goes downhill.

I mean think about it. By what mechanism could having an unwashed, dirty face prevent you from breaking out? Overwashing or irritating your skin can be bad, though.

Paul

Constant use of harsh chemicals (in certain cleansers) can make acne want to grow and expand more. Better off using a gentle cleanser so that doesn't happen. Or use Hibiclens or something that'll kill most germs before they get aggrivated.

True...I wash my face twice a day. But I was wondering if maybe washing once would do me better. But I don't have the guts to try it out in fear of a massive break...as if my acne isn't bad enough.

I stopped washing my face and it looks better than it did when I was washing it. I have faith in God, so this may be the reason why i'm clearing. However, the fact is, I don't wash my face anymore.

What if you gotta apply retin a at night?

you can't possibly go out without washing your face.

Then do your reginmen at night(cleanse, retin a, moiturizer). In the morning, dont wash AT ALL and moisturize a little on the dry places. Also you probably wont need to use retin-a anymore after not washing your face so much.

It doesn't work in the long run. It's similar to the effect some seriously ill people observe when they stop taking medication: they feel better briefly, then ultimately everything goes to hell. There's a sort of suspended, transitory moment where you are still getting the benefits of your now abandoned regimen but without the side effects (irritation, more oil, etc.) So things seems to improve. But then it goes downhill.

I mean think about it. By what mechanism could having an unwashed, dirty face prevent you from breaking out? Overwashing or irritating your skin can be bad, though.

Paul

I dont understand why it is the "norm" now that you must wash your face twice a day?

The face doess not get that "dirty" as people like to say. Unless you play in mud all day, your face is not that dirty. You may seem like it is but its just oil and skin cells. Not dirt. Skin cells and oil are natural. So really there is NO POINT in washing twice a day.

I can understand why females would do it but i dont understand why men would. Females take off makeup so they might need something to take it off. Even then, Females could still wash once a day too. If they wash their face at night, then they don't need to wash it again in the morning.

This is indeed interesting. Many people i know only have a shower etc. in the morning. i'm looking into this. I wonder if my persistant rather minor breakouts could be that i'm washing too much!

Stick with the once a day(use a gentle soap), your acne WILL stop.

Just cos washing once a day has got rid of your acne doesn't mean it'll work for every acne sufferer out there.

Look im just trying to help. ISnt that the point of this messageboard? Why you hating on me?

I recently havnt had time or money to go pick up my usual regimen, So lately all I have been doing is washing my face when i take a shower and originally i thought my faced is totally FCKED right? Wrong, my acne hasnt gotten worse it has almost gotten better. Can anyone explain this?

[/quote

At beauty school i learnt that skin can become immune to any products that you use, so we should alternate our products. EG- use one cleanser, toner, and moisturiser until it's all gone. Then switch to different products the next time. Then when you have used them go back to the others.

It doesn't matter if you use the same brand, it's just that the skin becomes immune to using the same ingredients- so you don't get results anymore if you use them long term.

This is why if you use nothing at all you see results for a bit, or if you change products you see results for a bit, but it never lasts.

I only wash my face with water, morning and night and i've done this for a few years now because I have very sensitive skin (used to have eczema there) and my skin is a lot better. But it might be because my hormones have calmed down a bit.. also I think shaving helped it a lot.

Personally I think when you use face washes it takes all the oil off your skin and that has to be replaced.. and the oil produced may start to clog pores if there is a lot of it. I think if you give your face a wuick swill with water it doesn't strip the oil away. Well that's my theory anyway.

Hating on you??? :eh: where'd you get that from? :confused: I hate no one anyway :wacko:

Plz don't take what I said the wrong way. If it works for you then great. I understand you want to share your success & help other people but I don't think it's helpful to say to people - "wash once a day and your ACNE WILL STOP" because we all know it's not always simple as that. And that's my point :cool:

Yes it will be helpful to some people who are using harsh chemicals/cleansers/lotions etc & over irritate their skin too much. Then yes being gentle and giving your skin a break is a really good idea. I totally agree with that - but it doesn't mean you'll just stop getting spots though :D

sorry man. I did take what u said the wrong way.

Im just really confident that less washing could really help acne.

I only wash my face with water, morning and night and i've done this for a few years now because I have very sensitive skin (used to have eczema there) and my skin is a lot better. But it might be because my hormones have calmed down a bit.. also I think shaving helped it a lot.

Personally I think when you use face washes it takes all the oil off your skin and that has to be replaced.. and the oil produced may start to clog pores if there is a lot of it. I think if you give your face a wuick swill with water it doesn't strip the oil away. Well that's my theory anyway.

You are exactly right there Pinker. But.............. if you use the correct face wash for your skin type you will not wash away the moisture. Read my topic on 'WHY DO WE GET SPOTS'.

Seriously, i can't say this enough to my clients at the salon. If you don't use a cleanser or face wash then you will not remove dirt. Ever heard the saying 'its like water off of a ducks back' ?

If all you are going to use is water to wash your skin then you may aswell use nothing at all for all the good it does!

I'm gonna try this shower only in morning regimen. But that means I won't be able to go to the gym anymore cause of the sweat and stuff.

Beauty Babe or anyone else, do you know if facials do anything for acne? I'm getting desperate to get rid of this acne, and I want to try that method of switching regimens like every 3 weeks or something.

Why not shower at night? After you've been out in the world all day, sweating and exposing your skin to the environment. Then workout in the evening, take a shower and if you put any junk on your face like Retin-A, do it then.

Then when you wake up in the morning, just rinse off. You didn't get dirty sleeping in your bed all night so why wash in the morning.

Good luck,

Paul

I'm gonna try this shower only in morning regimen. But that means I won't be able to go to the gym anymore cause of the sweat and stuff.

Beauty Babe or anyone else, do you know if facials do anything for acne? I'm getting desperate to get rid of this acne, and I want to try that method of switching regimens like every 3 weeks or something.

A water only regimen could work, I've just never had the courage to actually stick with it for an extended period of time. I would imagine coming off the chemicals would cause some breakouts initially, but who knows a couple months down the line?

Why not shower at night? After you've been out in the world all day, sweating and exposing your skin to the environment. Then workout in the evening, take a shower and if you put any junk on your face like Retin-A, do it then.

Then when you wake up in the morning, just rinse off. You didn't get dirty sleeping in your bed all night so why wash in the morning.

Good luck,

Paul

yup..just shower at night. But in the mornig, dont use anything(not even water). Maybe some moisturizer if dry.

Facials can exfoliate the skin which leaves less dead skin cells to block the pores, and depending on what products you have put on they can soothe the skin and calm it down. Infact there are lots of different acne facials out there which can really help in different ways. It would really depend on which specific facial you have as to what it will help.

Facials are good for a persons skin no matter who you are and what skin type or problems you have. I always do one mini facial on myself once a week.

Unfortunately it really depends on the cause of your acne, as to what will work best for you- ie- is it hormonal or is it spots caused by external factors?

Acne is sooo complicated. For me personally, mine is hormonal so until my sebum stops producing too thickly (probably by drugs such as Roaccutane) then nothing i do will get rid of it.

But i use various facials and home-care products to calm it down and minimise the look of the spots. Like everyone else any products i use only work for a while then i have to switch again.