Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leopolda

concealing/camoflaging scarring

Hi there everyone. I just wanted to share a product/technique I've been experimenting with that temporarily makes scarring look less significant. First let me say that my second dermabrasion back in June has really improved my scarring tot he point that it is no longer moderate to severe, but rather quite shallow and I'm really happy with it and may even go back for a third. Unfortunately for me, I've a few new scars, but thery are healing and I'm confident that another regional dermabrasion will yield good results on those.

For now, I wanted to pass along a tip that I first got from animegirl a while ago and have only recently started to try it and I think it works great. This is not a treatment tip, but a cosmetic tip so it's temporary and is only useful if you use makeup, but it works pretty well for a special night out. I know this might better belong in the make-up board, but I spend most of my time here and this is particular to concealing indented scarring.

I'm not a big make-up person--prefer the natural look, but my skin has made me become really good at camoflage. First, I use a silicone primer on freshly washed skin. Then, I use light coverage foundation all over, then I use either full coverage concealor or coverblend (comparable to dermablend), to conceal the redness of any scarring. The most important thing here is to match your skin color--for me, because I have yellow undertones, the danger is using a color that is either too pink or too orange. Now once you've got the color evened out, here is my secret for hiding the indentations. This probably works better for pick or pitted scars, but I've had success on scars that are wider and shallower (not quite rolling, but it might work on hills and valleys as well). Prescriptives makes a product called something like magic line smoother or something like that. It's a thick clear almost gel-like substance that you can fill in and smooth over depressions. I use a toothpick to apply a bit into the center of a scar and then I work it into the scar and with the edge of the toothpick, I smooth it over (almost like a spackle, but that makes it sound really bad). It dries to a transparent matte finish and it really creates the illusion of smoother skin. I then very gently dust a translucent powder around but not directly on the scarred area and it looks great. Where I can really see the difference is in reflections that highlight textural problems, and it blends very nicely. It takes a little experimentaion to get it right, but I think I"ve just got the hang of it. I felt so confident today that I got my haircut (which I hate to do because the mirrors/lights highlight all of my scars and I'm always self-conscious about the generally beautiful woman styling my hair). I asked the woman to leave my sweeping bangs and told her that I need them to cover up some scarring on my forhead and she promptly pulled all of my hair back in full light, squinted at me, and said "where's your scarrng?" ! And she wasn't just being polite. Of course, I could still see it, but it was so much less prominent than it used to be. Most of this improvement is real and due to my dermabrasions, but I really think the silicone line filler (and the silicone primer) really helped hide the indentedness of my scarring. Anyway, this sounds like a huge hassle and it does take a while, but for those who have the time and inclination to do it daily, it's great and for the rest of us, it's a nice tip for a special occasion when you have to look your best.

Leopolda

Hi there everyone. I just wanted to share a product/technique I've been experimenting with that temporarily makes scarring look less significant. First let me say that my second dermabrasion back in June has really improved my scarring tot he point that it is no longer moderate to severe, but rather quite shallow and I'm really happy with it and may even go back for a third. Unfortunately for me, I've a few new scars, but thery are healing and I'm confident that another regional dermabrasion will yield good results on those.

For now, I wanted to pass along a tip that I first got from animegirl a while ago and have only recently started to try it and I think it works great. This is not a treatment tip, but a cosmetic tip so it's temporary and is only useful if you use makeup, but it works pretty well for a special night out. I know this might better belong in the make-up board, but I spend most of my time here and this is particular to concealing indented scarring.

I'm not a big make-up person--prefer the natural look, but my skin has made me become really good at camoflage. First, I use a silicone primer on freshly washed skin. Then, I use light coverage foundation all over, then I use either full coverage concealor or coverblend (comparable to dermablend), to conceal the redness of any scarring. The most important thing here is to match your skin color--for me, because I have yellow undertones, the danger is using a color that is either too pink or too orange. Now once you've got the color evened out, here is my secret for hiding the indentations. This probably works better for pick or pitted scars, but I've had success on scars that are wider and shallower (not quite rolling, but it might work on hills and valleys as well). Prescriptives makes a product called something like magic line smoother or something like that. It's a thick clear almost gel-like substance that you can fill in and smooth over depressions. I use a toothpick to apply a bit into the center of a scar and then I work it into the scar and with the edge of the toothpick, I smooth it over (almost like a spackle, but that makes it sound really bad). It dries to a transparent matte finish and it really creates the illusion of smoother skin. I then very gently dust a translucent powder around but not directly on the scarred area and it looks great. Where I can really see the difference is in reflections that highlight textural problems, and it blends very nicely. It takes a little experimentaion to get it right, but I think I"ve just got the hang of it. I felt so confident today that I got my haircut (which I hate to do because the mirrors/lights highlight all of my scars and I'm always self-conscious about the generally beautiful woman styling my hair). I asked the woman to leave my sweeping bangs and told her that I need them to cover up some scarring on my forhead and she promptly pulled all of my hair back in full light, squinted at me, and said "where's your scarrng?" ! And she wasn't just being polite. Of course, I could still see it, but it was so much less prominent than it used to be. Most of this improvement is real and due to my dermabrasions, but I really think the silicone line filler (and the silicone primer) really helped hide the indentedness of my scarring. Anyway, this sounds like a huge hassle and it does take a while, but for those who have the time and inclination to do it daily, it's great and for the rest of us, it's a nice tip for a special occasion when you have to look your best.

Leopolda

Thanks for the info Leopolda, I am definitely going to try this.

Oh yeah! I recommended the Prescriptives Magic Line Smoother a few years ago. It really is a fantastic product. Fills in large pores and pits really beautifully.

I used a small brush, though.

I havn't used it in several years but I highly recommend it.

I've been using this stuff for a few years and wont ever be without it. I found out about it through someone's post on the board. My guess is, it was probably you Denise. :dance: You are right, it really does help to fill in scars. It takes some trial and error to get it right but well worth it.

I've been using this method for about the last year or so to fill in some of my deeper pitted scars...I have used the prescriptives one, but I currently use a similar product called philosophy fine line filler. It's really similar to prescriptives but for me it works even better. I use it everyday to fill in my scars...it's helped me sooo much to be less self conscious about my skin!

Thanks leopolda and Denise,

I am going to try it. I have been using the Clinique pore minimizer stuff, which I believe has silicone in it but it's flesh-colored, and then dusting powder over it. I am wondering - you don't put powder or anything over the line filler? Also, what kind of primer do you like? Thanks!

I wish I had seen your post years ago Denise--I could have used this stuff earlier! I've heard of the philosophy stuff, but have heard that the brush thingamobobby is difficult to use. Littlefrog, may I ask what you like better about it? I just bought a sample size of smashbox primer and I think it really helps presevre everything as it should be. As far as the filler, I like the fact that this stuff is transparent, because you don't have to worry about blending it with your foundation/concealor--it just picks up the color of whatever is underneath it. I use the powder only because the filler dries to a matte and I want the rest of my skin to stay as matte for blending purposes, but I'll bet you don't need to use one. But if you do, I use the prescriptives (I really like their entire line) magic liquid powder (hard to explain) because it creates a holographic, almost soft-focus effect that is supposed to optically blur flaws. I'm not sure if it really does that (maybe a little bit), but I really like it because it doesn't make me feel/look powdery or made-up.

hey girls,

I'm a guy (and very straight by the way) and I have a lot of scarred pores and some ice picks, I wouldn't mind using make-up as long as it covers my scars in a very unoticeable way. I don't want anybody to notice that I'm wearing make up. My reputation will go down to the tubes. And that will hurt me more than my scars. I would like to know if that make-up combo is very noticeable. How should I apply it? Are those products noncomedogic?? will I break out?

Please I need some help. Next week I have a special date and I don't want my scars to the main focus. I want to show this girl the real romeo inside of me :)

Hi fighter. I really think this could work for you. Just remember, it's transparent, so it will "lift" whatever is underneath it up to the surface. So, for scarred pore or ice-picks, the darkness or the shadow of the hole may show through it. If it does, I'd recommend finding a good concealor that matches your skin exatly (I like the prescriptives camoflage cream in a tube) and dot a tiny amount in the scar only and blend it with the very edge of the surrounding skin and let all of that dry (a small, pointy brush would be helpful). Then, I'd dab a bit of the line smoother into the center and smooth it out with a toothpick. Just remember, it takes some experimenting, so don't get discouraged if it doesn't look right immediately. Also, make sure to look at yourself in outside daylight to make sure it all matches to invisibility. Good luck on your date Romeo!

--leopolda

hey girls,

I'm a guy (and very straight by the way) and I have a lot of scarred pores and some ice picks, I wouldn't mind using make-up as long as it covers my scars in a very unoticeable way. I don't want anybody to notice that I'm wearing make up. My reputation will go down to the tubes. And that will hurt me more than my scars. I would like to know if that make-up combo is very noticeable. How should I apply it? Are those products noncomedogic?? will I break out?

Please I need some help. Next week I have a special date and I don't want my scars to the main focus. I want to show this girl the real romeo inside of me :)

Leopolda--

I like the philosophy one better because it seems to be just a little thicker consistency and is a bit less noticeable... that's just me though....I think both are excellent products :)

The little brush thing is kind of annoying on the philosophy one so what i do is just cut the little bristles off when I get a new tube! Then the silicone just comes out of the little hole in the tip of the tube when you turn the bottom and I can put it on the tip of a toothpick.

thanks you very much Leopalda

Yeah, this girl drives my crazy but I've postponed this date so many times due to my scars. I'm surprise that she was very patient and still wants to see me. Let's be more realistic here, any skin problem, especially in your face area puts your self-steem down. As much as I've been dreaming about this date, I don't want to feel bad when she sees me very close. And it would be even worse if she notices that I'm wearing make up. I've never worn any kind of make-up in my life, so I guess i will have to try so many times before my big date. I know it takes a lot of time to get really good results. I don't mean to be rude, but I've seen so many girls at work or on the streets who don't know how to apply make up. You can really notice they're wearing makeup from 3 miles away. They just look like clowns!!! And I'm talking about really decent women. So I can't imagine if i look like them. I wish i had a female roomate so she can help me apply make up.

Thanks leopolda and Denise,

I am going to try it. I have been using the Clinique pore minimizer stuff, which I believe has silicone in it but it's flesh-colored, and then dusting powder over it. I am wondering - you don't put powder or anything over the line filler? Also, what kind of primer do you like? Thanks!

Oh, sorry curious. Let me explain what I meant (I think I misread your question). When I said that I didn't dust the powder right on the scarred areas, I dust around it instead, I meant that I tried not to touch those areas with a brush because it's still really maleable and it might mess up my "spackle" job. By dusting right around, especially above those areas, they usually get powdered without the brush touching them. I bet that for smaller scars (pores and picks) you could powder over them just fine, but some of my scars are bigger in surface area and require more product. Also, when I say I smooth it over with a toothpick, I kind of mean the way when you're baking and you need exacltly 1 cup of flour, you fill it up and then take a knife (I use a chopstick) and level it off at the edge of the measureing cup--that's what I do--does that make sense?

Leopolda--

I like the philosophy one better because it seems to be just a little thicker consistency and is a bit less noticeable... that's just me though....I think both are excellent products :)

The little brush thing is kind of annoying on the philosophy one so what i do is just cut the little bristles off when I get a new tube! Then the silicone just comes out of the little hole in the tip of the tube when you turn the bottom and I can put it on the tip of a toothpick.

I am interested in this product! I just tried to find it on Sephora.com but it's sold out. Do you know of any other places that carry it? Where can you buy the prescriptives one? I want to find this and give it a try! Thanks for all the input everyone :dance:

thanks you very much Leopalda

Yeah, this girl drives my crazy but I've postponed this date so many times due to my scars. I'm surprise that she was very patient and still wants to see me. Let's be more realistic here, any skin problem, especially in your face area puts your self-steem down. As much as I've been dreaming about this date, I don't want to feel bad when she sees me very close. And it would be even worse if she notices that I'm wearing make up. I've never worn any kind of make-up in my life, so I guess i will have to try so many times before my big date. I know it takes a lot of time to get really good results. I don't mean to be rude, but I've seen so many girls at work or on the streets who don't know how to apply make up. You can really notice they're wearing makeup from 3 miles away. They just look like clowns!!! And I'm talking about really decent women. So I can't imagine if i look like them. I wish i had a female roomate so she can help me apply make up.

Just go eay on it dude. I used the clearasil spot stuff with tint for years to cover up really red zits and marks. It is kinda like foundation and I didnt mind wearing it. I dont see why this wouldnt work.

Whats funny is I was talking to my sister about why there isnt a product that u put on everyday to fill in scars like this. She said there was something one of her friends uses to cover up scars from going through a car window. U can definately tell her firend is wearing it but she has some bad scars on the side of her face.

This stuff sounds amazing! Has anyone had any breakouts with it though? I read a post on here a few weeks ago about how products that contain silicone clog the pores and cause severe breakouts?? Also, does this stuff have perfume in it, cos I cant usually wear makeup with perfume in - that makes me breakout too!!

I DO SEE THERE IS A PROBLEM IF PEOPLE NOTICE I'M WEARING MAKE-UP. Remember, I'm a guy, I just want to cover my acne scars, but at the same time I wouldn't want people think I'm a freak. It's not a "macho" attitute. I wouldn't mind wearing make up at all. But again, I don't want to look kind of femenine.

See the pics below, I don't want to exagerate on the make-up and turn into something completely different . What would my hot date think about me???????

Me, Before Make- Up Me, After Make-up

[attachmentid=2428][attachmentid=2429]

post-26392-1130438672_thumb.jpg

post-26392-1130438697_thumb.jpg

post-26392-1130438672_thumb.jpg

post-26392-1130438697_thumb.jpg

leopolda,

Thanks for the info. I'm looking for this in the UK. Can you tell me is this the same stuff? I thinkit's called 'invisibleline smoother'?

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukgasp/frameset.asp?n...=219447&ref=fgl

Can't wait to try it. I feel so depressed about not being able to go out with this horrible skin. Going on a night out for me is more stressful than staying at home. but staying at home makes me depressed and lonely!

fighter05: Are you planning to wear makeup on your date? Maybe you can try it and take a picture and we can tell you the makeup is noticeable or not. Have you tried shelf tan lotion if so, does it help make scars look less visible? I have not tried it but if it helps then do that instead of makeup.

Hi everyone. Yes, pittedskin and 30something--that's it. It's generally about $34 USD, but you can find it on ebay for cheaper--I think another reason it helps is because it not only fills the pits and visually "lifts" the base of the scar up to the surface, but I think it also has light refracting particles which create a sort of blurry optical illusion. Just remember, it takes some experimentaion to get the hang of it. You need to make sure the color is completely taken care of first, then you need to put enough on and smooth it out. It may look a little shiny/wet at first, but give it a while and it dries to a matter--it also helps to make sure you really smooth it out. Good luck everyone--I'm really loving this stuff.

--leo