Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shadowfax

Ready to quit I am so upset...

So I just finished my 4th week on the regimen. Except for the fact that I have been having trouble ramping up the dosage (and you'll see why) I have been very good and following the regimen exactly.

The first week or so was great (I was using neutrogena's BP), my face was so calm and it actually cleared up a lot in the first couple days. ( i was shocked and excited).

I was dry, but dry as in not an oil mess anymore, not dry as in flaking everywhere and not being able to move my skin for fear of wrinkles and cracking.

Everyone said how Dan's BP is even better so I ordered that. When that came and I started using it things got SO much drier and my skin has been awful ever since - never a break from the dryness even if I skip a BP dose. I've only been able to use 1/3 of a finger of the gel, sometimes even less. I broke down during my 3rd week and gentled scrubbed off the flakes around my chin since there was no active acne there. Things were great again, btu I knew that was bad so i didn't wanna keep doing...a day or so later - the same dryness came back again.

Up until that point I had been using Cetaphil Antibac. Bar and Neutrogena Oil Free moisture. (I had used the reg. Cetaphil barn in the past and this moisturizer so thought I'd have ok results w/ them). I wanted to use AHA though since I was getting so dry, but of course couldnt' find the recommended Eucerin one.

About a week ago I found Neutrogena Healthy Skin face lotion which is oil free and AHA. Great I thought! but the fragrance is HORRIBLE (like putting purfume on my face) and it HURTS. (I've used BHA and AHA in the past w/out pain/bad reactions). It's not a little dull burning, etc. that is common w/ BP, etc. but in certain parts of my skin (where I now have pimples actually - started getting pimples again after a couple weeks on the regimen) it literally is painful to put on in stings SO bad.

So I thought last night...hmm maybe the bar Cetaphil is just too drying so I bought the regular cleanser in the bottle. I've used it twice and no change...not to mention I felt like I was rubbing lotion on my skin, it didn't take of my m/u and didn't leave me feeling cleansed.

I'm at a loss here. I want this to work and by my results in the first week I think it really could for me. But after 4 whole weeks I would think my skin wouldn't be so dry and I could have ramped up my dosage by now.

I'm almost thinking of going back to the Neutrogena BP to see what happens but I thought Dan's would be great. And I'm scared b/c that is white and w/ the mess my skin is now it will totally be hard to absorb.

I've tried Cetaphil moisturizers in the past and they dont' agree w/ my skin.

I DO have a Eucerin moisturizer that has Lactic Acid (AHA), but it's not the recommended/discontinued one. It's called Extra Protective Moisture Lotion SPF 30. Should I switch to that?

Please help me! I can deal w/ a bit of dryness, but this is getting crazy and I am now getting pimples again to boot since I've had to use the BP so sparatically and sparsley the past week or so.

awwww, i totally hear you :( I remember when i switched from neutrogena BP to dan's gel, my face was a crackling MESS falling apart on me everytime I moved. :boohoo:

I think you should keep trying the cetaphil liquid cleanser. Are you able to stop using make-up for a while? Because I know the cetaphil doesn't remove make-up very well, so maybe don't use any make-up? Easier said than done, I know lol

If you absolutely have to wear make-up, what I do first is gently wipe my face with make-up remover pads. I use Almay, they're oil free, hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic, non-irritating, fragrance free -- they're just awesome. Very, very softly (just to loosen the make-up) lightly wipe your face with the little pad. Then splash your face with warm water, and wash very quickly (just for about 10 seconds) with Cetaphil liquid cleanser. Rinse, pat dry, then wait the 15 minutes and continue the regimen like usual.

You should also use the cetaphil moisturizer for now. It's very rich and creamy, and soothing for extremely dry skin. If possible, try to moisturize many times during the day. Just make sure your hands are clean first, then moisturize.

hi there. I use the neutrogena healthy skin lotion because I can't find the other stuff andI have only a few times used it full strength, as my skin can't handle it. I mix it in with my normal moisturiser to decrease the strength and put it on that way. It doesn't irritate my sensitive skin that way yet it still helps with the peeling (although I still have some problems with dryness around my lips and the edges of my face)

If you feel like you were having better results w/ the OTS switch back. Maybe that will make the flakiness go away. As for another moisturizer w/ AHA I can't recomend one but check the ingredients in the Eucerin you have, it may be ok. Make sure it's non-comedogenic and all that.

awwww, i totally hear you :( I remember when i switched from neutrogena BP to dan's gel, my face was a crackling MESS falling apart on me everytime I moved. :boohoo:

I think you should keep trying the cetaphil liquid cleanser. Are you able to stop using make-up for a while? Because I know the cetaphil doesn't remove make-up very well, so maybe don't use any make-up? Easier said than done, I know lol

If you absolutely have to wear make-up, what I do first is gently wipe my face with make-up remover pads. I use Almay, they're oil free, hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic, non-irritating, fragrance free -- they're just awesome. Very, very softly (just to loosen the make-up) lightly wipe your face with the little pad. Then splash your face with warm water, and wash very quickly (just for about 10 seconds) with Cetaphil liquid cleanser. Rinse, pat dry, then wait the 15 minutes and continue the regimen like usual.

You should also use the cetaphil moisturizer for now. It's very rich and creamy, and soothing for extremely dry skin. If possible, try to moisturize many times during the day. Just make sure your hands are clean first, then moisturize.

Thanks for the encouragement. I fell like I have to wear m/u b/c my skin is sooo pale and blotchy right now. I can get away w/ very little amounts of mineral m/u which is what i do, but it still needs to come off! :) I will get those Almay pads - thanks!

So you think a cetaphil moisturizer will be better than this pile I have here? I really don't feel like they're moisturizing that great and if I use a TON I just feel greasy. Better than the Eucerin one I have?

And stay on Dan's BP instead of going back to the other? that could have just been a coincidence that my skin got really bad after switching...think so?

Thanks for the encouragement. I fell like I have to wear m/u b/c my skin is sooo pale and blotchy right now. I can get away w/ very little amounts of mineral m/u which is what i do, but it still needs to come off! :) I will get those Almay pads - thanks!

So you think a cetaphil moisturizer will be better than this pile I have here? I really don't feel like they're moisturizing that great and if I use a TON I just feel greasy. Better than the Eucerin one I have?

And stay on Dan's BP instead of going back to the other? that could have just been a coincidence that my skin got really bad after switching...think so?

I think the Dan's BP thing is coincidence as the Neutrogena BP is I found, but for the whiteness, very similar.

But no harm in swapping.

I think it's the accumulating dryness.

Without moisturizer I could be an extra in Land Of The Dead!

Is it my imagination or are women having far more problems with the 'hardening effect' of the regimen.

Is it cos we men shave (exfoliate) daily, is this a factor in the difference?

Mick, thanks for posting. It does sound like we're going through I very similar thing. I, too, LOVE the idea of this regimen and clearly by my first couple days it is doing good things for my skin, i just need some how to gently exfoliate the flakes so my moisturizer can actually work as well as the BP. I feel like the flakes and dryness are a mask and w/ that nothing can do it's job. So i'm getting pimples again.

I also have mild/moderate acne but it's VERY stubborn. It's more than just an occasional pimple, but less than a whole face full of it (now anyways). I feel like since I haven't been having any major cysts/open acne lesions I could do some sort of gentle exfolient....I really feel like without being able to do something like that I am hindering the BP and moisturizer from working. I am so nervous since I've been taught that "manual exfolients are bad for acne" and I do not want to to use something to make my acne worse. But the baking soda thing interests me - I am going to check it out! thanks!

you're most welcome :) I wear mineral make-up too. The almay should remove it very nicely, without you having to rub hard or anything :)

yes, the cetaphil lotion may be just the thing you need right now. Given the state of your skin, the severe dryness. Use the cetaphil just to quench your skin for now, give it a little soothing rest. Then maybe when your skin is back to normal, you can use something with SPF and with aha.

I say stay on Dan's bp for now. Try the tips I gave you first (and believe me, I know what you're going through! I've totally been there. My skin was crackling so bad I remember I called in sick from work a few days I was soooo embarrassed. I couldn't eat, I couldn't smile....well, you know the drill I don't have to tell you lol). See how your skin does for a while with dan's bp and the cetaphil lotion, and liquid cleanser.

I'm praying for you :pray: Let us know how it goes. Keep positive, hun! :wub:

OK so I bought the Almay pads today and the Cetaphil moisture lotion. But I just noticed, it's not one on Dan's list of "approved" things to do the regimen with! Is that OK and just b/c it doesn't have SPF??? (I get SPF in my mineral makeup). Also it as some kind of nut oil....is that ok that it's not oil free? I just used it and it definitely felt good on my skin and actually moisturized a bit! Hoping I don't break out from the new(er) cleanser, new moisturizer and using the Almay m/u pads!

thanks again for all your help!

hiya shadowfox! I'm glad your skin is feeling a bit better already :pray:

well, I break out if someone looks at me the wrong way, and the cetaphil lotion doesn't break me out one bit. So if I'm safe using it, I'm thinking you should be too! :)

The main things you should do to avoid breaking out are: never skip a day of the regimen, do it twice a day every day. Also, always use plenty of BP (once you're at the point where your skin is used to it). And apply it nice and gentle to your face.

I think once your skin has calmed down from all the dryness and irritation you were experiencing, then you can go ahead and try using a moisturizer with SPF.

Oh, and remember don't rub your face with the make-up remover! Just very lightly to loosen the make-up, and then wash gently to remove any residue. :angel:

Keep us posted, and we're here if you need anything!! :wub:

Thanks for checking back on me :)

I have been pretty bad the last 2 weeks about skipping BP treatments b/c of all this dryness but if this moisturizer keeps up then I'll be able to stick w/ the BP 2x a day! I have a couple pimples now so I really need to be able to get back on it!!! Esp. in 2 weeks...I am going to NY to see SO's family and we're announcing our engagement...acne/dry/flakey/cracky/oily skin is not what I want for that!!! :)

So if I don't rub to take the m/u off and just loosen it, then the cetaphil will remove it? cool!

I have been pretty bad the last 2 weeks about skipping BP treatments b/c of all this dryness but if this moisturizer keeps up then I'll be able to stick w/ the BP 2x a day! I have a couple pimples now so I really need to be able to get back on it!!! Esp. in 2 weeks...I am going to NY to see SO's family and we're announcing our engagement...acne/dry/flakey/cracky/oily skin is not what I want for that!!! :)

So if I don't rub to take the m/u off and just loosen it, then the cetaphil will remove it? cool!

Ooooh! congrats on your engagement!! :clap::wub: that's wonderful!

NY!!! My home!! :D Born and raised there, lived there for 31 years of my 32 year life (yeah i'm old lol). I miss it. I mean, I'm right next door now, New Jersey. But I still feel so far away. *sigh* :( Ah well, say hi to the big apple for me! :angel:

Yeah, just use the pad lightly. The last thing you want to do is rub your face harshly with it. Then when you cleanse your face gently with the cetaphil, the remainder of any make-up should be removed.

Good luck with this, sweetie, and with everything you have going on now!! so much excitement!!! :wub:

Ooooh! congrats on your engagement!! :clap::wub: that's wonderful!

NY!!! My home!! :D Born and raised there, lived there for 31 years of my 32 year life (yeah i'm old lol). I miss it. I mean, I'm right next door now, New Jersey. But I still feel so far away. *sigh* :( Ah well, say hi to the big apple for me! :angel:

Yeah, just use the pad lightly. The last thing you want to do is rub your face harshly with it. Then when you cleanse your face gently with the cetaphil, the remainder of any make-up should be removed.

Good luck with this, sweetie, and with everything you have going on now!! so much excitement!!! :wub:

Thanks so much. :) I just got home from work and looked at my face and I don't ahve a ton of flakes like I had been..and I even used a little BP this morning! :)

That's so funny you're from NY. part of his family is on long island (and I actually have a cousin there too) and then part are in the city so we'll be all over the place. :) I will be sure to think of you :)