Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speters

BHA or AHA? Which is better for clogged pores?

Hi all! This is my first post, so hopefully I don't mess this up too bad :)

I am trying to find a product to use with The Regimen that will help unclog some pores on my cheeks. These clogs aren't horribly visible, however, they have been there FOREVER. We're talking months on a couple of them. Last night, I was bad and tried to squeeze the gunk out of one, turning it into a full-blown zit at that point.

Is it better to use an AHA or a BHA for the purpose of unclogging? And which brand? At one point, I used Paula's Choice 2% BHA lotion and I think it broke me out really bad with cystic type acne. I am too afraid to try that particular one again.

Also, what would be the best way to use AHA or BHA? Should I use BP gel in the moring and the other at night? Should I use something like the Eucerin lotion with AHA twice a day in place of the Cetaphil?

I am currently using: Purpose cleanser, Cetaphil lotion and Dan's BP gel.

ANY advice is appreciated...I obviously need all I can get ;)

THANKS!!

Hi speters! I have the same problem that you have. I can only answer for myself, but I use a GA toner after I cleanse. I am also using Purpose, but I am using the bar. I'm sure a moderator will help you with any questions that you have. Good luck!

Hi speters! I have the same problem that you have. I can only answer for myself, but I use a GA toner after I cleanse. I am also using Purpose, but I am using the bar. I'm sure a moderator will help you with any questions that you have. Good luck!

Thanks for the response! GA is glycolic acid, right? I've heard that DDF makes a really good one called Glycolic Toner 10, but I wasn't sure if it was worth a shot or not...it's kind of expensive :( Which brand are you using? And do you use it right after you wash your face and then put on the BP and moisturize?

Yeah, GA is glycolic acid. I use Proactiv toner (former Proactiv user), but I have heard good things about DFF products also. I wash, apply my toner and then moisturize. I don't use BP in the morning, only at night. :angel:

SA is better for active acne. Its oil soluable and will penetrate into the pore, unlike GA which just takes off the outer layer of skin. Both do indeed exofliate however in regards to acne SA has more adv.

Maybe you had a "bad reaction" to PC SA b/c since its an exfoliant it can bring stuff up to the surface, aka purge.