Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
breezehaven

Why is our body not fighting off the bacteria wreaking havoc on our skin

by itself? Why do we need a zillion creams to try to kill the bacteria, when our body should be doing that job itself. What's lacking in our body in which it's not strong enough to combat the bacteria in the skin?

I think all these chemicals like BP - which really doesn't help anymore- is just making your body to become reliant on things to kill what needs to be killed. How do I beef up my immune system to get rid of this crap on its own?

What do you think causes acne inflammation? It's your immune system trying to fight off a foreign substance in your skin. Basically when your skin detects something causing tissue damage it releases chemicals that trigger swelling. The purpose of swelling/inflammation is to isolate the bacteria by surrounding it with fluids so that it doesn't come in contact with the tissue. The same chemicals trigger release of cells designed to "kill" the foreign bacteria. I don't know why but for whatever reason it just can't beat acne.

This is not unsual. The immune system can't fight off everything. If it could then nobody would die from diseases.

by itself? Why do we need a zillion creams to try to kill the bacteria, when our body should be doing that job itself. What's lacking in our body in which it's not strong enough to combat the bacteria in the skin?

I think all these chemicals like BP - which really doesn't help anymore- is just making your body to become reliant on things to kill what needs to be killed. How do I beef up my immune system to get rid of this crap on its own?

The bacteria that causes acne, propionibacterium acnes, is not a "bad" bacteria. It is a bacteria that lives on everyone's skin. It's actually a good bacteria that prevent colonization of the skin by more harmful bacteria.

This bacteria actually helps our immune systems. It doesn't need to be killed.

The problem isn't with the bacteria. Acne is caused when a buildup of dead skin cells and occlusive sebum plugs a sebaceous duct inside a pore. The bacteria that is trapped inside continues to feed off of the sebum trapped in the pore and starts to multiply. Once enough bacteria is there an immune response is triggered by the by-products from the bacteria. White blood cells accumulate causing inflammation in and around the pore. When the white blood cells die off the create pus.

It's the immune response to the overgrowth of bacteria in the pore that causes an acne lesion....shut off your immune system....you won't get inflammatory acne....but then you'd die of some other opportunistic infection....

The real way to get rid of acne isn't to kill the bacteria, it's to prevent the pores from plugging up in the first place.....science hasn' t really figured it out yet......

the bacteria which cause acne it live on EVERYONEs skin. sooooo true. :( we have an acne problem b/c/ our skin is INTOLERANT to our own bacteria &so this shows on our face as blocked pores, swellings etc. acne sufferers dont always have unstable hormones. not anymore than any1 else does anyhoo

& btw a clear--- faced flaweless dude might haev just as much hormones swimmin round in his own blood as we do but wont get acne his entire life. our skin is sensitive to OUR OWN own hormones and we get flare---ups. sux

we have an acne problem b/c/ our skin is INTOLERANT to our own bacteria &so this shows on our face as blocked pores, swellings etc. acne sufferers dont always have unstable hormones.

Most of us have acne because a keratinization disorder causes our pores to become easily blocked, which provides an ideal home for the overgrowth of this bacteria, which then stimulates the immune system. We are not any less tolerant of the bacteria than anyone else, it's just that everyone without acne provides the bacteria with a much less hospitable environment.

The amount of bacteria one a persons face with acne and one without acne is the same. Those with acne tend to develop clogged pores easier due to metabolic biproduct waste of bacteria and sebum, and abnormal keratinization. Our overactive immune system is the big problem.

The bacteria that causes acne, propionibacterium acnes, is not a "bad" bacteria. It is a bacteria that lives on everyone's skin. It's actually a good bacteria that prevent colonization of the skin by more harmful bacteria.

The problem isn't with the bacteria. Acne is caused when a buildup of dead skin cells and occlusive sebum plugs a sebaceous duct inside a pore. The bacteria that is trapped inside continues to feed off of the sebum trapped in the pore and starts to multiply. Once enough bacteria is there an immune response is triggered by the by-products from the bacteria. White blood cells accumulate causing inflammation in and around the pore. When the white blood cells die off the create pus.

It's the immune response to the overgrowth of bacteria in the pore that causes an acne lesion....shut off your immune system....you won't get inflammatory acne....but then you'd die of some other opportunistic infection....

The real way to get rid of acne isn't to kill the bacteria, it's to prevent the pores from plugging up in the first place.....science hasn' t really figured it out yet......

A very good response, but I would just add that I believe that science has indeed figured out how to prevent pores from plugging in the first place. It is something called a "retinoid", of which Retin-A is a very good example. Long-term use can indeed stop the pore plugging process, which is why these things are considered to be the "ground floor" of acne treatment.

Why is our body not fighting off the bacteria wreaking havoc on our skin by itself? Why do we need a zillion creams to try to kill the bacteria, when our body should be doing that job itself. What's lacking in our body in which it's not strong enough to combat the bacteria in the skin?

Acne sufferers have weak livers. Don't worry about the bacteria on your face. Natalie Imbruglia with the most perfect skin on earth in my opinion is probably walking with millions more bacteria on her face than you. Worry about your blood, organs & the foods your pouring into your body. Your body goes to great lengths to take care of its LIVE-er, so your skin & lungs become the first line of defense. If your liver becomes overburdened with toxins, hormones etc, forget about it, the serums will go through your skin.

Guest pokerbugg

it is...which is why u have acne...it also depends on why u (personally) are getting acne...could be too much oil and it just gets clogged up in the dead skin, maybe its hormonal, maybe its just ur skin not shedding the skin fast enough, i hope im making sense...but the lesions(from what ive read) are the result of ur immune system fighting the bacteria thats all up in ur pores, resulting in the puss (white head) & inflammation. im no expert just what i know and have read ;)

if u feel that ur body isnt doing what *it should* then take vitamins...trust me they help a ton

A very good response, but I would just add that I believe that science has indeed figured out how to prevent pores from plugging in the first place. It is something called a "retinoid", of which Retin-A is a very good example. Long-term use can indeed stop the pore plugging process, which is why these things are considered to be the "ground floor" of acne treatment.

I actually do use a topical retinoid. Differin gel to be exact, and it has done wonders for me. Science has not yet figured out a way to prevent the pores from plugging up with dead skin cells and sebum. Acne is not caused by a deficincy of Retin-A or Differin or Accutane. It's true that these all treat acne by removing and preventing the formation of microcomedones, which is where acne lesions start.

Retinoids don't actually prevent acne to begin with. If I quit using my Differin, I will break out in about 2 months. I'll keep breaking out until whatever is causing the formation of these plugs in my pores is resolved. This is what science doesn't get yet. We know how to fix the problem (sort of) once it starts, but we don't really know what causes it in the first place. We don't know why some people grow out of it and some don't. Why some have mild acne and some have cystic acne...

Thanks everyone.

Another question.

Some of you mentioned that poor diet and toxins can do something to the sebum? Does it make it come out more or just get it sticky enough to clog up pores?

Cause I have high levels of uranium in my body and am wondering if that and other harmful things might be doing something to my body....

I take vitamins and have been trying to eat better lately.

But my skin just is pimply and remains INFLAMMED it seems FOREVER. It just takes forever to get rid of a pimple or inflammation whereas normal people can have it all cleared up within a day or two with no use of products.

Another thing I have done is stopped the use of BP which seems to SOMEWHAT keep the pimples down, but it was causing scarring and I'm afraid it will age my skin. So I'm dealing with the onslaught of pimples instead, which was horrible even when on BP.

I'm trying to figure out ways to do internal healing rather than topical and if anyone can give me advice, that would be great.

I went for a colonic because I have too few bowel movements. But honestly, it was so uncomfortable that I couldn't keep the fluids long enough in my colon to really eat away at the waste stored up, so pretty much very little came out.

I wanted to get the two amalgam fillings out of my mouth in the next month so I can start detoxifying my body of uranium with chelaters and stuff like that.... of course it says to make sure all forms of metal, including mercury dental fillings are taken out, because it can mobilize the mercury and then have it stick into other tissues in the body.

Then I plan on getting my own colonic equipment for the house, doing a liver flush as well etc.

There is something wrong with my body and it has gotten worse lately. I feel good trying to make healthy choices anyways, regardless if it helps my acne, but clearing up my skin is a huge goal.

Any advice, please.. thanks.

I heard via viente were very healthy liquid supplements that are anti-inflammatory and contain lots of anti-oxidants, but it's very expensive.

Why do many people have their zits go away within a day, but i'm stuck with the same ones for weeks or months? Something up there and I think it has more to do with the healing process being inept.

I wanted to get the two amalgam fillings out of my mouth in the next month so I can start detoxifying my body of uranium with chelaters and stuff like that.... of course it says to make sure all forms of metal, including mercury dental fillings are taken out, because it can mobilize the mercury and then have it stick into other tissues in the body.

I have 13 amaglam fillings in my teeth. I've been told acne is the least of my problems and I'm gonna pretty much die of mercury poisioning, which will eventually cause a systemic yeast infection or something. I'm totally fucked until I have these removed. Since this will cost over 4000$, I'm not ever planning on doing that. I'd never spend that much money on my physical appearance....I'm not actually worried about the dying thing, since we all gotta go sometime....

I found a topical that works well, so at least I'll have nice skin while I'm dying of heavy metal poisioning...

I have 13 amaglam fillings in my teeth. I've been told acne is the least of my problems and I'm gonna pretty much die of mercury poisioning, which will eventually cause a systemic yeast infection or something. I'm totally fucked until I have these removed.

You believe that?

I have 13 amaglam fillings in my teeth. I've been told acne is the least of my problems and I'm gonna pretty much die of mercury poisioning, which will eventually cause a systemic yeast infection or something. I'm totally fucked until I have these removed.

You believe that?

No, not really....the person who told me that was probably some 16 year old kid, jumping on the alternative medicine bandwagon...

I really don't know what to believe....Honestly I could care less....we all die of something...

I have a stalker who threatens me every day...he tells me all the creative ways that he can kill me....so if I don't die from a slashed throat or disembowelment (I'm really not kidding at all)...then maybe the mercury will get me....

So far I have no symptoms of mercury poisioning....some people can tolerate heavy metals, some people can't...and I really don't believe that my fillings caused by bad breakout this summer...it would have taken much longer for the mercury to leach out of my teeth and into my bloodstream.....

I have no plans on removing them unless they I really show signs that the mercury is affecting me (other than a few zits).....

who filled these for you? you can file a law suit.

My dentist. And no I can't (plus I don't believe in lawsuits). I know pleanty of people that have over 10 amaglam fillings, and none of them have acne, or any other signs of heavy metal poisioning. There is actually no evidance (alopathic medicine) that fillings cause health problems. Although I've heard a lot about how bad they are. I actually tried to get the resin fillings but my insurance wouldn't cover those, since they're considered cosmetic (it would have cost over 1000$ to have all ten cavaties filled. Three I got when I was 12 (after my acne had already started). I asked my dentist this summer if the mercury in them was ok and she said it was (not that I believe her 100%).

You believe that?

No, not really....the person who told me that was probably some 16 year old kid, jumping on the alternative medicine bandwagon...

I really don't know what to believe....Honestly I could care less....we all die of something...

I have a stalker who threatens me every day...he tells me all the creative ways that he can kill me....so if I don't die from a slashed throat or disembowelment (I'm really not kidding at all)...then maybe the mercury will get me....

If you're going to be blase about it all, take Accutane? Leave the board behind. Live fatalistically with perfect skin.

So far I have no symptoms of mercury poisioning....some people can tolerate heavy metals, some people can't...and I really don't believe that my fillings caused by bad breakout this summer...it would have taken much longer for the mercury to leach out of my teeth and into my bloodstream.....

I have no plans on removing them unless they I really show signs that the mercury is affecting me (other than a few zits).....

I don't know whether I buy it or not. That there are millions walking around with amalgam fillings who don't seem to be any worse for wear doesn't prove/disprove anything absolutely I suppose.

It does seem kind of nutty. But I know from experience what it's like to be the extraordinary case with some sort of exceptional chemical/hormonal/substance sensitivity. So maybe there's something to it.

I have 7 silver fillings.

If you're going to be blase about it all, take Accutane? Leave the board behind. Live fatalistically with perfect skin.

I'm not being blase about it....slightly cynical though....

I don't think I'd ever take Accutane. My skin isn't bad enough for it. I only have moderate acne, and it's reduced to mild acne with treatment. Besides I don't really think it's a permanent solution.....

I don't know whether I buy it or not. That there are millions walking around with amalgam fillings who don't seem to be any worse for wear doesn't prove/disprove anything absolutely I suppose.

It does seem kind of nutty. But I know from experience what it's like to be the extraordinary case with some sort of exceptional chemical/hormonal/substance sensitivity. So maybe there's something to it.

I have 7 silver fillings.

The reson I don't totally buy it is because I haven't found any real evidance that the mercury in fillings causes acne. For every paper on it I read, there is another that totally contradicts it.

Some people tell me that it somehow causes a systemic candidia infection, because the yeast thrive on mercury (yeast eat sugar, not heavy metals the last time I checked)....Other people say it overloads the liver with toxins that makes it unable to remove excess hormones (not sure about that one, but what about all the crap in the air, and water, and pestacides and preservatives in food)....

I think that I would have had acne as a young teenager as I got 3 huge amaglam fillings when I was 12. I never even really had teenage acne (really mild for like a month when I was 11). I developed it at 18, well after I finished puberty.

It did really flair up last summer. In the month of June I got 10 more fillings. Coincidently that is when my acne really flaired up. It could have been a conicidence, as it was also really hot last summer, and my acne reacts to heat. I actually went all last winter completely acne free....If I had mercury poisioning from the 3 huge fillings I'd had for the past decade, why would I have cleared up every winter?

Interestingly enough, my acne is starting to clear again, as it's getting colder outside......

Let them explain that one....

No offense, but amalgams contain one of the most toxic substances known to man... mercury. One thing is for sure... it ain't good to put it in your MOUTH. For heavens sake, they clear out a whole floor of the hospital when a mercury filled thermometer smashes on the ground. I don't care what dentists or companies TELL YOU to sell off their silver fillings to the poor cause they can't afford anything or the insurance doesn't want to foot the bill. It's insane to BELIEVE that it ISN'T harmful to stick it in YOUR MOUTH!!

IF you have over 10 silver fillings, that's pretty scary as well as unattractive (especially when you laugh and people see the whole enchilada). It's a sore spot just to see my one grey filling. I have one in my mouth which a dentist wasn't even supposed to put in. I ordered a resin filling but the idiot worked better with amalgam and couldn't even stick the resin filling in right. I clearly wrote in my signed statement that I would have to approve of the procedure first if there were any changes. Therefore I never paid the 500 dollar bill. Never received any collections or letters about it either. The rest of his work was good, but since I'll have to get this filling replaced for positive aesthetics and I clearly made it clear what filling I wanted, screw them and their bill. This was about a year ago.

I did have silver fillings in my mouth throughout childhood. I remember noting that I had high levels of lead in my body and also suffered from fainting spells, heart murmur etc. I don't have any of that anymore. But who the hell knows all the heavy metals I probably had in my body as a kid. MOST PEOPLE DON'T CHECK THEIR CHILD FOR MERCURY OR WHATEVER ELSE THERE IS. Usually just maybe a lead test and that's it.

As for the poster who mentioned uranium, that's scary as well. How the heck did you get that in your system? I remember talking to someone who had a similiar situation where they believed it came from the bottled water. Since it came from the mountains in california where uranium is in the rocks or something along those lines.

There isnt enough mercury in an amalgam to cause any harm to the body. A mouthful of amalgams still isnt even close enough to cause any harm to anyone. soooooooooo............

Dont freak and worry about it. No one is gonna get sick and or die from a mouthful of amalgams.

A poor sod will be run over by a bus long before he gets mercury poisoning from amalgams. Even if that poor sod had lived 80yrs with a mouthful of amalgams. Point is....its never gonna happen! :dance:

I have 13 amaglam fillings in my teeth. I've been told acne is the least of my problems and I'm gonna pretty much die of mercury poisioning, which will eventually cause a systemic yeast infection or something. I'm totally fucked until I have these removed. Since this will cost over 4000$, I'm not ever planning on doing that. I'd never spend that much money on my physical appearance....I'm not actually worried about the dying thing, since we all gotta go sometime....

I found a topical that works well, so at least I'll have nice skin while I'm dying of heavy metal poisioning...

Mercury poisnoning? Sounds like you need to call a lawyer.

Mercury poisnoning? Sounds like you need to call a lawyer.

I highly doubt that any lawyer would take on a case like that. I was being a little cynical. I really don't think I have mercury poisioning. There are millions of people walking around with a mouthful of metal. I doubt that this is the actual cause of my acne (which is almost nonexistant now, since it's winter here).

Try not too worry about bacteria wreaking havoc on your skin. People w/ perfect skin, Natalie Imbruglia etc are walking round with almost 70% more bacteria on there faces than your average acne sufferer who uses a spot fighting product.