Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
remmulp04

Accutane and it's results...

Some background information: 19 yo male & 175 pnds, have had minor to moderate acne on face, chest, and back for about 5 years.

I started using a generic form of Accutane (Sotret) almost exactly 5 months ago. Prior to that I was constantly watching my diet (per Jade's advice,) drinking liters of water, and taking tons of supplements & herbs to keep my active acne under control.

Those mesaures did work, to a certain extent. But it was to time consuming and stressful to maintain that sort of lifestyle while going to school, playing sports, and being involved with a girlfriend & family.

First of all, let me say that accutane has cleared me nearly 100%. I am extremely pleased with the results of this medication, but this outcome didn't come without any negatives.

There were quite a few side effects which I will list for you right now:

-very, very dry lips

-dry skin around neck, mouth, and nose

-insides of nose have bascially been raw throughout the whole cycle

-weird rashes on back, arms, and neck

-you absolutly can not go out in the sun with out sunscreen or you will be unbelievably dry

-night vision was definatly affected

-it's always hard to judge mood changes, but I believe that my mood was affected in a negative way through the whole course

-some headaches

-dry eyes

-a noticable initial break out during the first month for 2 weeks

Those were all of the side effects that I had/experienced during my 5 month course of Tane. As I stated before, the outcome is great and worth the 5 months of side effects. I just wanted to give some information to the people who are considering Accutane as a possible way to rid themselves of acne.

I just hope that after I come off, the acne will stay away so I don't have to do another cycle. Anyways, good luck with the choice that you make.

Congratulations! Try not to stress about worrying if it'll come back or not, just go out and live your life acne free! i also did the extreme diet and water and vitamins, and it helped alot, but I couldn't stand livin life worrying about whether or not I'm going to break out if I eat a piece of bread. So I have just started my 3rd month of accutane and for all you thinkin about it, dont waste your time on antibiotics if acne is effecting you too much. God bless..

No actually, accutane didn't leave me any red marks. I am not a picker though, so that I am sure attributed to my good luck in that department. Pre accutane: I had white heads around my face and neck, with the occasional cyst once in a while. I had whiteheads and some cysts on my back and I had moderatly oily skin.

Yeah, I am not gonna worry about what may or may not happen. For now though, I am done with my fifth month of 40mg morning and 40mg evening every day cycle of Tane. I am going to take on 40mg pill every evening for the next two months, to slowly ween off of it.