Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mistadjpaul

For the people on Accutane..or have been on it before

I'm wondering what topicals and/or antibiotics did you try before getting on accutane? And if you used a topical, how long did you use it for and did you use it everyday like directed?

Also, what type of acne do you have? Cystic acne, red bumps with no pus, etc.

The reason I ask is because I usually get red bumps without any pus. I don't get new ones everyday. Maybe 1 or 2 a week. I don't have any cysts. I really only have acne on my left and right sides of my face, and like 3-4 small ones on my forehead. I'm thinking the topicals and antibiotics should be able to handle it, so I'm just trying to get a feel for why everybody else got on Accutane and how bad & what type of acne they have.

Most people who go on Accutane have tried almost every topical cream and anitbiotic.

My personal list of perscriptions starting from 1995

Triaz

Cleocin

Tetracyclin

Minocyclin

Benzamycin

Sulfacet-something

Retin-A

Retin-A Micro

Azelaic acid

Amoxicillin

Doxycyclin

OrthoTri Cyclen

Finacea (azelaic acid)

Tazorac

This does not include the countless OTC products and I'm sure I missed some prescriptions.

Nothing cleared my skin except Accutane. I took my first round at age 20 and I'm on my second round now. I followed all the directions and took the medications just like I was supposed to, but nothing worked except Accutane. My skin before Accutane was always red and blotchy with many dark red spots that take a long time to fade. I never ever had a day without a zit, usually 20+ was normal. Even though my acne was moderate, it just wouldn't respond to any treatment. I have some scarring from that time period.

You may not need Accutane. It's a pain to take, really. Monthly blood tests and appointments... all the side effects... Try all the other meds first and see if you can have some success.

Accutane is a more permanent solution than other treatments but can have serious sideffects both at your internal organs and at your skin (mainly scars).As Mitzie said you should try other topical and oral treatments first.

Also how old are you?cause i used to have the type of acne that you have for about 2 years when i was a teenager and then as i grew it started getting worse and worse...

What i ve learned from my case you should not squize pimples etc.That was what i did and my acne got a lot worse.

I'm 21 years old. I've had acne since probably senior year of high school, so around 17-18.

I make it a priority to NEVER touch my face so I don't have any problems with squeezing anything. My brother tells me I should (he's a biology major, but not a derm), but I disagree based on what I've read. I think it may be okay to pop small pimples (those that dont last long), but if you know it's gonna be on there for a few weeks+, then the chances of scarring increase.

I'm 21 years old. I've had acne since probably senior year of high school, so around 17-18.

I make it a priority to NEVER touch my face so I don't have any problems with squeezing anything. My brother tells me I should (he's a biology major, but not a derm), but I disagree based on what I've read. I think it may be okay to pop small pimples (those that dont last long), but if you know it's gonna be on there for a few weeks+, then the chances of scarring increase.

yup only if it's like a whitehead ...........i don't squeeze actually........what you do is get like a pin prick and prick the whitehead until like a little bubble of it comes out then compress the pimple slowly until it has blood come out then stop and wash it off with warm water then try neosporin on it

if it's a big cyst don't squeeze or pop itll make it much worst and last much longer =(