Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spezza

When did you scar?

Ok, I've had acne for years now. Besides the two scars - one of each side of my nose - I haven't gotten any other scars. This is after years of cysts, white heads, yada yada, etc etc. I used to even pop cysts lol - hence the nose scars. However, in the past two months I've gotten two new scars which aren't going away. One on my cheek (that one might go away). And one on my bottom lip (it was a cyst - and no, I didn't try to pop that one). I'm wondering if you are more prone to scarring the older you get? If this is the case, Accutane here I come!

I never thought I had any scars untill I saw my doctors, he said I was scarring and should go on accutane.

:(

now I always see my scars, ugh they will be there my hole life!!

If you have scars, i think accutane will just make everything worse.

It drys your skin so much that your skin will be alot more susectible to scar. IMO.

I think it gets easier and easier to scar the older you get. I didn't scar until I was 16 or so....

I tanned everday and when I mean everyday I mean atleast once a day.. sometimes twice at two different places.. I broke out... I used BP and other products to keep it down.. it didnt work... i kept tanning.. my skin was extremley dry... I poped pimples on my cheeks... thats how I got scars.. thank god im fixing all of this mess.

I never thought I had any scars untill I saw my doctors, he said I was scarring and should go on accutane.

Accutane saves faces if u take it when u first start noticing scarring. I know tons of people that went on it with great results (me included) If u are scarring u should go on Accutane immediately and not wait until its too late. Use a moisturizer @ night if your face is dry. cakeing on benzoyl peroxide and all that other spot treatment shit cause your skin to get really dry and could cause a zit to scar too.

I really get pissed sometimes when I see people knocking Accutane on here. I looked at this website a few times and was thinking about getting put on Accutane like a year before my bad breakout. I was scared of all the different posts that people had put about the drug so I got more scars in the process sticking with topical shit that didnt work. I was scared to death when I started using it. I went on Accutane and had NO side effects except 4 dry lips. It just makes me mad that I listened to people on here with all their stories about going bald and just everything u can imagine and that I didnt just go on it a long time ago. I would have saved myself some scars and stress if I wouldnt have found this site I guess. I now check out the scar treatments to take care of that shit.

I will never tell anyone ANYTHING negative about Accutane. My doctor has never had a person off the drug because of side effects in 12 years prescribing it. 3 out of 4 of his kids went on the drug. If u really had something bad happen to u on Accutane tell about it but dont blame it for all your skin problems and scare people off that could have been helped.

Personally I really hope that needling will completely remove my (not large, but quite deep) scars over a long period of time. For instance 3 years. Just like other members on this board. Stay optimistic, and hope you will eventually get rid of those scars...it takes a lot of time, but I think it's worth the trouble.

When didn't I scar should be the question....

I agree with poster who says to take 'tane if you're already scarring. Like him/her I heard so many horror stories on this board about how 'tane made them scar and I was so afraid to take it in fear of getting scars.

I wish I'd taken it sooner...

And yes, you scar easier as you get older because you don't produce as much collagen and don't heal as quickly. For me, every single pimple would leave a red mark. Every one.

I didn't scar until my late 20's/early 30's, and I started breaking out at age 11. I didn't have cystic acne, but it was moderate to severe....tons and tons of blackheads, whiteheads, and pustules.

I agree with several of the posters when they say don't get put off by some of the negative things you've heard about accutane. I really really regret not having gone on accutane when i initially started breaking out. I know if I had, i wouldn't have scars that cover half my face....

those who do get bad side effects are part of a small minority. I perosnally didn't have to deal with anything, not even dry skin/nose. It was the best thing, i only wish I'd taken it earlier.

agree with several of the posters when they say don't get put off by some of the negative things you've heard about accutane. I really really regret not having gone on accutane when i initially started breaking out. I know if I had, i wouldn't have scars that cover half my face....

those who do get bad side effects are part of a small minority. I perosnally didn't have to deal with anything, not even dry skin/nose. It was the best thing, i only wish I'd taken it earlier.

I tend to disagree. It's quite common for people to scar while on Accutane. The other more extreme side effects (severe night blindness for life, deafness, organ failure, brain swelling...etc) aren't as common in many people who take it.

But I'm glad you didn't have any bad side effects.

I've had some scars on my face since I was about 20yrs old, maybe 3-5 that didn't bother me at all and weren't noticeable at all. But about a year ago when I turned 24 I started scarring more even though I was breaking out less. Then after my smoothbeam in January all the scars became 5x more noticeable and I got new scars from a horrible breakout after a smoothbeam session. Now I have like 60 scars, just like that. It was very traumatizing to watch my face turn like that practically overnight.

agree with several of the posters when they say don't get put off by some of the negative things you've heard about accutane. I really really regret not having gone on accutane when i initially started breaking out. I know if I had, i wouldn't have scars that cover half my face....

I tend to disagree. It's quite common for people to scar while on Accutane. The other more extreme side effects (severe night blindness for life, deafness, organ failure, brain swelling...etc) aren't as common in many people who take it.

But I'm glad you didn't have any bad side effects.

Most all of those side effects mentioned are because the person A. took the Accutane with a member of the cycline family of antibiotics which would include the brain swelling hearing loss vision loss etc, or B. Didnt get their blood work done every month as this would show any complication to the tane. Also the scarring on accutane blows my mind. Most people say they had a major breakout and that caused the scarring. MOst of the people on accutane arent on antibiotics which could keep huge zits from popping up and causing problems. Plus they undoubtedly would have got zits for a long time longer than they did and still get the scars. I take 4 amoxicillins daily which the doxctor said would keep me from breaking out and guess what I didnt break out at all. I keep my skin moisturized day & night and dont worry about the sun since the moistuizer is a sunblock. Its also quite common for people to scar that have severe acne (which is what u have most of the time if your on accutane)

If you have just an occasional zit and oily skin but no scars what in teh hell would u go on accutane 4 anyway. Theres like a million different medicines to try first. These are the only people I would say have a complaint if the accutane causes scars the rest would have gotten scarred no matter what.

MIld to moderate cystic acne. I was on accutane at 16 for a 6 month course. It cleared up my skin, but produced all the scars i have on my face. I had ZERO scars prior to accutane.

Life time of scars, was a bad trade off to a decade of pimples. No one warned of the possibility of scarring. I DIDNT EVEN KNOW THE SKIN COULD INDENT LIKE THIS!!! it was friggin shockign!!

Stupid asian doctor. Wish i didn't go to the friggin dickhead. I remember sitting in his room and telling him how cystic acne was ruining my life and him saying "well, you should know, you can live with severe cystic acne, many people do very happily". I'm like "i wouldn't be in your office right now, if i was happy to live with it fucker, how bout you and me trade skin, and let someone tell you to 'live with it',"

Anyway, he gave me tane, but didin't tell me about scarring.

I ended up scarring. I hate that cockhead. HIS NAME IS DR.MICHAEL LEE (dermatologist), he works at BOX HILL, melbourne, victoria.

Don't go to him, he's a shotty, uncaring, two bit cheap ass, junior doctor.

IN fact, the two asian dermatologists i've seen - DR.ERIC POON, and Dr.MICHAEL LEE ARE THE TWO WORST DERMS EVER!!! maybe it's a asian thing. They didn't care one bit about my condition.

Two GREAT doctors i went to were Dr.MICHAEL RICH, and Dr.Phillip BECKOR!!!

The asians just didn't give a shit!

I began to have acne when I was 12, but for some reason it became severe and cystic when I was from 18-23. It wasn't until I was 23 that I began to use accutane, but by then most of the damage had been done, lots of rolling scars, icepick, and really deep and long scars all over my cheeks.

I had tried benzoil peroxide, salicylic acid, adapalene/differin, four different types of antibiotics, retin-a, tazorac, but nothing worked. I didn't start to use accutane until I was 23. I needed to use it three times, for a total of 18 months. When I first was on it, I kept having nosebleeds, my nighttime vision was not as good, and my alcoholic tolerance decreased. My skin was also very weak, and prone to chaffing and being cut. I made absolutely sure to avoid any stress or trauma to my skin while on it. It was the best thing I ever did to treat my acne, despite the complications I suffered while on it.

Accutane most definitely makes you scar easier. Just read the accutane logs.

It is damaging to your liver which is a source of your healing ability.

The people who don't scar from accutame are the ones who do not break out during the course.

The initial breakout that comes with it is the deep kind of acne which is why you probably scar more.

It is wise to take antibiotics to prevent the initial breakout like you did Keith.

There are so many posts from ex Accutane/Roaccutane users talking about poor healing and the fact they have scars created by the drug ...

Something's come to my attention that I think you should all know.

You know how most most ex-Accutane users complain of poor healing of scars/red marks etc..? (and it's a well known fact that Accutane is damaging to the liver).

Well, it seems that the research has been out there all along... and it points out that when the liver and gallbladder are too congested, the skin cannot heal properly

Yea I would say that it was accutane that caused my scarring - BUT it really helped with my acne. At the time, all that mattered to me was getting rid of all the lumps and bumps, and I didnt even think that I might scar, so I was really happy. But now, I dont whether I would rather have the spots than all the scars Ive got!

You know how most most ex-Accutane users complain of poor healing of scars/red marks etc..? (and it's a well known fact that Accutane is damaging to the liver).

I heal the same as I did before I was on 'tane and my redmarks fade at the same rate. :think:

:dance:

Ok, I've had acne for years now. Besides the two scars - one of each side of my nose - I haven't gotten any other scars. This is after years of cysts, white heads, yada yada, etc etc. I used to even pop cysts lol - hence the nose scars. However, in the past two months I've gotten two new scars which aren't going away. One on my cheek (that one might go away). And one on my bottom lip (it was a cyst - and no, I didn't try to pop that one). I'm wondering if you are more prone to scarring the older you get? If this is the case, Accutane here I come!

yes, you absolutely scar more the older you get. same here, i have had so many over the years but i didn't start scarring til recently (early 30's).

When I first went on retin-a around 10 or so due to severe acne, my skin was beautiful. No scarring.

Around 14, my dad forced me to stop taking retin-a and my cystic acne returned. No scarring tho, thankfully.

Around 17, I went back on retin-a. My beautiful complexion returned. Keep in mind tho that I never picked at my skin. Even if a scab was about to fall off, I wouldn't touch it until it fell off on it's own.

At 23, even tho my face was clear, I had cystic acne on my back and my derm put me on accutane. My face broke out in cystic acne -- worse than it's ever been. Derm gave me steroid injections and now I have recessed scarring in my cheeks and between my bottom lip and chin. I hate my derm for never mentioning how the combo of accutane and the steroid injections could totally leave scars.

When I first went on retin-a around 10 or so due to severe acne, my skin was beautiful. No scarring.

Around 14, my dad forced me to stop taking retin-a and my cystic acne returned. No scarring tho, thankfully.

Around 17, I went back on retin-a. My beautiful complexion returned. Keep in mind tho that I never picked at my skin. Even if a scab was about to fall off, I wouldn't touch it until it fell off on it's own.

At 23, even tho my face was clear, I had cystic acne on my back and my derm put me on accutane. My face broke out in cystic acne -- worse than it's ever been. Derm gave me steroid injections and now I have recessed scarring in my cheeks and between my bottom lip and chin. I hate my derm for never mentioning how the combo of accutane and the steroid injections could totally leave scars.

Scarring is wierd as heck though. I got my worst scars this summer at the age of 23 while taking retin a micro for the first time. I think the injections might have been to blame but huge zits need to be taken care of. I'm sorry u scarred and hope u get your shit fixed.

are you sure that steroid injections while on accutane is a dangerous combination? as for keithr comments about accutane - the decision to go on it should be between you and your derm, not distant strangers on a message board who responded to the drug in a way you may not. my suggestion to everyone would be to try everything else first and use accutane as a last resort. i was on the drug 12 years ago when it was a big deal, now my understanding is that many doctors dont even like to prescribe it. everyone reacts differently even if most people find accutane to be their miracle cure and thats something to keep in mind. i had no idea what i was getting into when my GP prescribed it. i was on antibiotics of the cycline family during my single course of accutane and it didn't help calm my acne down at all. the only thing that worked during my course to counter the breakouts caused by accutane was prednisone. i for one know and theres no telling me different that accutane was the biggest mistake i was ever lead into. roughly 3 months into treatment accutane caused me to have the worst flare up i ever had in my life and break out on my back so bad i couldnt sit back in a chair. id never had a blemish on my back prior. derms like to insist that i would have broken out anyway. oh sure i say. i didnt know at 17 what i know now. i didnt know what to ask for, i didnt know what to resist. i went to that doctor with cystic acne and i needed immediate attention given to that cystic acne (steroid injections, prednisone, topical solutions, retin-a) in the way of medicines that deal quickly and effectively with the problem at hand. i didnt need a drug that takes weeks and or months to kick in while in the meantime i had dime-sized cysts in several spots on my face just sitting there. whatever i had when i went to the doctor didn't change a month later. and the next month and the month after that what was there got worse and what was never there came out. i broke out, the acne i did have intensified beyond belief, i scabbed in places, and i scarred. thats the reality, it was not a fluke, this does happen to people because it can cause severe flare ups, severe flare ups can cause severe scars. and i believe had i never gone on it and my problem been dealt with through other treatment modalities, i wouldn't have flared up like that, my back would be like it was the day i was born, and at best i would have minimal scarring on my face. accutane is not a miracle for everyone although it is for many. it is still something to be cautious about because what happened to me has happened to others and can happen.

I've had mild acne as a young teenager, which cleared up when I was 13. I was pretty much clear until 17, when I developed adult acne (I was done with puberty at 13). I didn't have anything that scared until recently (I'm 24). Over the summer I had a really bad breakout. I had a few cysts that scarred, according to my derm they are kinda superficial (except one that is realy deep) but permanant. I'll need very expensive treatment to remove them. I don't really want to spend that kind of money on my appearance (it'd cost more than a boob job), so they're here to stay I guess.