Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is it still the case that if you get a referral to Dr Chu at Hammersmith Hospital in London that you can get treatment on the NHS? does anyone know what the waiting list length is?

On a thread i made a few days ago, i mentioned that i had an appointment with a dermatologist near Belfast in N Ireland. He wanted me to wait until February until after he has had a meeting with derms all over europe in Paris to discuss the fraxel laser as he didn't want to go ahead with the suggestion that right now, the co2 laser would benefit me most with my boxcar type scarring. I was not impressed and i want a second opinion and there is no one better than Dr Chu to see for acne scarring treatments as i have hear a lot of good things about him. I'm willing to make a 6+ hours train journey to see him.

Is it still the case that if you get a referral to Dr Chu at Hammersmith Hospital in London that you can get treatment on the NHS? does anyone know what the waiting list length is?

On a thread i made a few days ago, i mentioned that i had an appointment with a dermatologist near Belfast in N Ireland. He wanted me to wait until February until after he has had a meeting with derms all over europe in Paris to discuss the fraxel laser as he didn't want to go ahead with the suggestion that right now, the co2 laser would benefit me most with my boxcar type scarring. I was not impressed and i want a second opinion and there is no one better than Dr Chu to see for acne scarring treatments as i have hear a lot of good things about him. I'm willing to make a 6+ hours train journey to see him.

iF YOU FIND OUT ANY WAY TO GET A PRIVATE CONSULTATION THEN PLEASE MESSAGE ME ON HOW TO

Yes, you can see him on the NHS. Waiting list is around 3-4 months I think.

He isn't practising Fraxel, but he might be able to offer an opinion on it.

Thanks for the info Rossignol. I think he'll be worth the 6+ hour train journey from Dundee. He seems to be very good at his job and have heard nothing but good about him from people on here.

Check out my posts about dr chu and pct (primery care trust),this is what u have to apply for before u can get treatment done on NHS.

Ask your GP about pct.

^^ I never had to apply for that, Sam. I was just referred to him from my GP, letter came through a couple of weeks later with appointment scheduled in about 3 months. No questions asked.

Perhaps it would be different for Northern Ireland residents?

EDIT: Although, having said this, I have not had subcision or excision yet. I have only had N-lite, so I'm thinking you probably have to get primary care trust to have more significant scar treatments? He hasn't mentioned it to me yet.

OK i read through some of your posts Sam but can't say im any wiser about "primary care trust". I'm going to get an appointment with my doctor next week then tell him to refer me to Dr Chu at hammersmith hospital in London. I was going to do it yesterday but thought i'd think about it first and think about what the dermatologist told me in Belfast.

It is shocking how few derms in the UK are trained with all the surgical procedures for acne scarring.. such as subcision/punch graft/elevation etc. Very very few.. thats why i had to go from Scotland to Belfast in N Ireland as no one in Scotland was trained in those procedures.... pathetic really.

PCT is a funding,it will pay for your treatment that dr chu does on the NHS.

PCT is a new system that pays for your NHS treatment,you will have to ask your gp about this,who will then put your details forward to the PCT.

Each surgery as a PCT funding and your details goes in front of the PCT board,they then look at your circumstances and decide weather or not you can have treatment paid for by the PCT.

You cannot have treatment done on the NHS outside your surgeries area unless the PCT grants you this.

PCT is a funding,it will pay for your treatment that dr chu does on the NHS.

PCT is a new system that pays for your NHS treatment,you will have to ask your gp about this,who will then put your details forward to the PCT.

Each surgery as a PCT funding and your details goes in front of the PCT board,they then look at your circumstances and decide weather or not you can have treatment paid for by the PCT.

You cannot have treatment done on the NHS outside your surgeries area unless the PCT grants you this.

I've never heard of anyone else who have seen Dr Chu mention this.

Rossignol didn't need his case put forward and you're the first person who has mentioned this.

Actually i've just returned from an appointment with a doctor. I asked him to send a letter of referral to Dr Chu and he said that first of all i'd have to have an appointment at a hospital near here to discuss treatment options and if they felt that it would be necessary to send me to someone more suitable then i could perhaps get a referral to Dr Chu.

He said that NHS Scotland is different than NHS England and he can't refer me to someone outside the country until i have had a consultation with someone who treats acne scarring in my area first. (Dundee) So i'm going to have a consultation with someone here and see how that goes. He also mentioned that Dermabrasion is performed in Dundee and that might be beneficial for me as my dermatologist told me that a "sanding" procedure would benefit me the most such was the nature of my scarring that is mainly box car and shallow type scarring. If i can get Dermabrasion for free then i might go ahead with it. I'll be sure to ask the surgeon lots of questions though when i have the consultation in 3-4 months times about the procedure.

Does rossignol get treatment done on NHS and does dr chu do the treatments?

I do have my treatment on the NHS, and dr Chu is the consultant supervising these. However, I have only had sessions of N-lite up to this point, due to the fact that I still have some active acne that needs addressing before tackling the scars. I have not have PCT mentioned to me so far.