Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thenew

Anti-biotics

In a few weeks i see my derm again and he siad he will proboboly be putting me on anti-biotics. I dont kno if that means ill be going on accutane right away or not, but I was wondering if anti-biotics like accutane heal scars along with active acne. Thanks alot with any information of the antibiotics, and please dont delete this for being i nthe wrng forum this is where i get responses soo thanks again.

an antibiotic is NOT like accutane in any respect. If your acne is any worse than mild i would request your doc prescribe accutane instead of an antiobiotic. All the antiobiotic will do is clear it while you are on it - at least that was the case for me (and most folks on this site) for almost nine years (i had mild-moderate acne on my chin and back). Accutane is powerful - there is a chance you will have bad side effects (I DID and went off after nine weeks, but won't knock it for anyone else ;cause it rocked while i was on it) but it is really the only script out there that will eradicate at the root. Antibiotics are not as effective if you have anything worse than mild acne - esp. if you want to knock it out in the long run. God lunck to you!

anitbiotics won't have any effect on scars, apart from preventing new ones to form. antibiotics indiscriminately kill bacteria in your body - including the bacteria that cause acne - and some of them also reduce inflammation and (possibly) affect the production of sebum in your pores.

taking antibiotics for acne is like fishing with dynamite. having said that, i am on minocycline at the moment and it's going quite well. i would say you should definitely try them before leaping on the accutane train. It depends where you live though; in America it sounds like dermatologists quite liberally prescribe them, whereas

here in england it's a bit harder. it IS a last resort, no matter how much people on this site will tell you otherwise.

good luck!

thanks alot guys, i think i will start with anti-biotics, my acne is moderate only a few on my body but my face can get bad hopefully these anti-biotics clear me up even if it is only for the time im on it atleast ill actually be clear for once thanks again to anyone who has any info

an antibiotic is NOT like accutane in any respect. If your acne is any worse than mild i would request your doc prescribe accutane instead of an antiobiotic. All the antiobiotic will do is clear it while you are on it - at least that was the case for me (and most folks on this site) for almost nine years (i had mild-moderate acne on my chin and back). Accutane is powerful - there is a chance you will have bad side effects (I DID and went off after nine weeks, but won't knock it for anyone else ;cause it rocked while i was on it) but it is really the only script out there that will eradicate at the root. Antibiotics are not as effective if you have anything worse than mild acne - esp. if you want to knock it out in the long run. God lunck to you!

HELLO!! :dance: my names Robyn!! I've only ever met someone called robyn once before. lol

anyways, iv been on minocycline (an antibiotic), and I had moderate acne which is now improving cos I'm on Dan's Regimen. I'd say the antibiotics cleared me up 50% but I wouldn't say I'd rely on them to clear me up completely. I'm coming off them now, and just sticking to Dan's Regimen, because the antibiotics are keep alot of crap under my skin.

Dan's regimen really DOES work. I am using it now to stay clear after going off the tane early. So far so good. (And nice to meet you, robyn:)

What do you mean by antibiotics keep the junk under your skin? The antibiotic should clear inflamatory acne from within?

Antibiotics will not work for any kind of acne, but inflamatory. The antibiotic will work on the inflamation, but not actually cure acne. I think Accutane is the only think to cure acne for the long haul. Mild inflamatory breakouts should be cleared up with an antibiotic.

thanks again everyone but does anyone know if anti-biotics make your skin real dry or oily, and how do they work do i just like a take a pill a day or something

thanks again everyone but does anyone know if anti-biotics make your skin real dry or oily, and how do they work do i just like a take a pill a day or something

antibiotics shouldn't really affect the dryness/oiliness of your skin.. i think i noticed my skin getting a bit oily on minocycline but i think i was just imagining things.

do u take pills with anti-biotics or do u have to use topical crap with it

i just cant wait to go on anti-biotics i hope it helps i count the days until i see my derm

also do anti-biotics cause initial breakouts... please say no... please say no

I've been on antibiotics for quite some time now.. (on an off with different types)

And actually I think the person who said that if you have above mild acne... skip anti-biotics and go straight to accutane is overreacting.. antibiotics are actually used for mild-moderate cases..And no derm in their right mind would even LET you go on accutane the first treatment.. Due to Legal issues and the fact accutane is such a big step and is usually used for more severe acne.. so don't even bother asking for that on your first visit unless your acne is disfiguringly bad..because most likely they wont give it to you...

and anti-biotics will not cause an initial break out (from my knowledge and experiences).. It does work.. but it takes a week or so to actually SEE improvement.. like taking one pill is not going to make all your pimples disappear in a day.. but it is definitely good to use.. it has helped me immensely.. and although it didn't cut my acne down 100%.. (I would say more of a 70-80%) it kept me from getting huge pimples.. and also made my pimples heal faster.. and cut down the number of pimples I got too by about half..And as for whether or not he'll give you cream.. most likely he'll give you mild pills and maybe a couple of creams like benzaclin or tazorac just to help it.. but yeah.. antibiotics are great..

my derm. appointment is coming up on monday and I really hope he will put me on anti-biotics this time, but is there anyway a derm can deny you anti-biotics?.. right now my skin looks alot better then it has been in a while and im not even using anything, but i want the anti-biotics cause wrestling is coming up and thats when i break out the most... so I really hope my derm will perscribe them]

is there anyway a derm can deny you anti-biotics?

my derm. appointment is coming up on monday and I really hope he will put me on anti-biotics this time, but is there anyway a derm can deny you anti-biotics?.. right now my skin looks alot better then it has been in a while and im not even using anything, but i want the anti-biotics cause wrestling is coming up and thats when i break out the most... so I really hope my derm will perscribe them]

is there anyway a derm can deny you anti-biotics?

By saying no?

In a few weeks i see my derm again and he siad he will proboboly be putting me on anti-biotics. I dont kno if that means ill be going on accutane right away or not, but I was wondering if anti-biotics like accutane heal scars along with active acne. Thanks alot with any information of the antibiotics, and please dont delete this for being i nthe wrng forum this is where i get responses soo thanks again.

First off, there is a HUGE difference between accutane and antiobiotics. They are no where close to the same thing. And secondly, neither Accutane nor antibiotics do anything for scars. Topical rhetinoids, like Retin-A, can help with minimal scarring, but nothing sever. That's going to require some sort of cosmetic procedure.

Usually with moderate acne, the derm (at least in the US) will require you to try multiple things (including antibiotics) prior to writing a script for accutane. Accutane is supposed to be reserved for severe cystic acne.

do anti-biotics have bad side effects?

The big side effect IMHO is antibiotic resistance. I think when you're on antibiotics for acne treatment, you have to continue to take them for the benefit. I think once you stop, the acne returns as usual. After long term antibiotic use though, your body becomes resistant to the medication. I wouldn't want to be on antibiotics forever, but that's a personal choice.