Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zaxis96

Duac user, former Accutane user

Hello everyone,

Well, after a few treatments of Accutane because of cysts, I am now somewhat scarred and trying new medications. One that was recommended to me was Duac. Before I began using Duac, though, I was using PanOxy (Benzoyl Peroxide 10%) once a day. Things were looking good, but I still had a cysts and some acne that popped up after a few months.

After visiting my doctor, he put me on Duac Topical Gel in the evening (clindamycin, 1%, Benzoyl Peroxide, 5%). I have been using it for a few months, at least four, and I just realized that it goes bad after 60 days. I did get a new perscription and I am using it now. I still have acne, and it is rather bad, but really just in my mouth and nose region. I think it may be due to shaving every other day.

I also wash my face twice a day, Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser and use Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin. My reason for the post is as follows:

Lately I have been very oily. I use the moisturizer every morning and every night, but in the past week I have not needed it because my face is not dry after I wash it. But during the day, I feel a little oily. Should I move on to another gentle skin wash that may be just a little more powerful than Cetaphil?

Thanks in advance for the help!

- Christopher F.

I am more or less in the same boat as you, I too am a former roaccutane user and now using duac.

Well put it this way I am now using duac for the last 3 days, prescribed by my dermatologist who says a lot of ppl seem to like it. I tried many oral antibiotics to many topical antibiotics including OTC products such as panoxyl and quinoderm etc. PanOxyl is really crap in my opinion it really sucks. Quinoderm is less irritative i reckon.

After trying lot of cleansers including, Tea Tree, clearasil, oxy etc, I just dont bother but if i do wash my face with a cleanser then it is a NEUTROGENA OIL-FREE SOAP FREE face wash which has salicylic acid, its more like a handwash really, its sooo mild. maybe u could look in to that.

this is my plan, use duac and get rid of the active acne then go to the skin clinic and get microdermabrasion done to rid of hyperpigmentation and mild scarring. after that if acne still persists i might have to do a 2nd course of roaccutane. i was offered roaccutane again but i chose duac rather then to accutane or oral antibiotic like tetracycline (which iv taken b4 last year) because if i took accutane then i would lose 9 months b4 i get the chance 2 do something about the appearance of my skin ie. microdermabrasion. also i found my skin is sensitive to glycolic peel as it just breaks out my acne.

Hello everyone,

Well, after a few treatments of Accutane because of cysts, I am now somewhat scarred and trying new medications.  One that was recommended to me was Duac.  Before I began using Duac, though, I was using PanOxy (Benzoyl Peroxide 10%) once a day.  Things were looking good, but I still had a cysts and some acne that popped up after a few months. 

After visiting my doctor, he put me on Duac Topical Gel in the evening (clindamycin, 1%, Benzoyl Peroxide, 5%).  I have been using it for a few months, at least four, and I just realized that it goes bad after 60 days.  I did get a new perscription and I am using it now.  I still have acne, and it is rather bad, but really just in my mouth and nose region.  I think it may be due to shaving every other day.

I also wash my face twice a day, Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser and use Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin.  My reason for the post is as follows:

Lately I have been very oily.  I use the moisturizer every morning and every night, but in the past week I have not needed it because my face is not dry after I wash it.  But during the day, I feel a little oily.  Should I move on to another gentle skin wash that may be just a little more powerful than Cetaphil?

Thanks in advance for the help!

- Christopher F.