Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Guest james11

Hello all. I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about essential oils?? If so, could they please give me some advice on what oils to use for Acne?

I'm hoping that they may be a little more gentle that all of these Salicylic Acid's, Benzoyl Peroxides and so on. Getting a bit sick of my skin running my life!!

I'd really appreciate the help, James.

Are you talking internal, or external?

If you don't know what you are doing, a general rule of thumb is to never ingest them. Also avoid citrus oils on your skin if you're new to this as they can cause irritation and increase sun sensitivity.

Topically, most should not be used neat, but Tea Tree, Lavender and Sandalwood can (according to most sources) be applied directly to your face without being diluted. If you wanted to dilute something, an easy way is to cut it with jojoba oil as jojoba is supposed to be the closest thing to your skin's own oil and thus most likely to soak in and is not going to clog your pores. Alternatively you could use almond oil if you wanted more moisturization but jojoba is more gentle than oil. Tea Tree*, Lavender*, Sandalwood*, Oregano*, Bergamot*, Cedarwood*, Chamomile, Elemi, Eucalyptus Dives*, Geranium, Helichrysum, Jasmine, Juniper*, Myrrh, Patchouli, Rosewood*, Ylang Ylang.

*best choices for acne -- others relate more to healing of skin.

However effective these may be, there is no guarantee that these are less irritating than BP and almost certainly not less irritating than SA. However, could be more effective for some ppl and more enjoyable to use.

Guest james11

Yeah i was talking external, just as a more natural approach. I'd heard alot about lavender oil being quite calming so i thought i'd put it out there to see what people knew. Thanks for your advice, i'm tjinking i'll just stick with the Dermatologists path!

I thought you were talking about olive oil, coconut oil, or fish oil. Those can help people with candida. Omega-3 oils are supposed to be very good for you as well.

Guest james11

Oh okay, yeah i'd heard about Omega 3's. I have a few capsules of that stuff. Thanks for your help though.

What do you people think about the SKINNY theory?

Are you talking internal, or external?

If you don't know what you are doing, a general rule of thumb is to never ingest them. Also avoid citrus oils on your skin if you're new to this as they can cause irritation and increase sun sensitivity.

Topically, most should not be used neat, but Tea Tree, Lavender and Sandalwood can (according to most sources) be applied directly to your face without being diluted. If you wanted to dilute something, an easy way is to cut it with jojoba oil as jojoba is supposed to be the closest thing to your skin's own oil and thus most likely to soak in and is not going to clog your pores. Alternatively you could use almond oil if you wanted more moisturization but jojoba is more gentle than oil. Tea Tree*, Lavender*, Sandalwood*, Oregano*, Bergamot*, Cedarwood*, Chamomile, Elemi, Eucalyptus Dives*, Geranium, Helichrysum, Jasmine, Juniper*, Myrrh, Patchouli, Rosewood*, Ylang Ylang.

*best choices for acne -- others relate more to healing of skin.

However effective these may be, there is no guarantee that these are less irritating than BP and almost certainly not less irritating than SA. However, could be more effective for some ppl and more enjoyable to use.

It seem like you know a lot about essential oils and such,so Ive got a question...what do you think about cleansing with pure jojoba oil? I found a website and in the acne/rosacea skincare kit they dont sell an actual cleanser but jojoba oil.Heres the link...

http://www.alphaskincare.com/saskkitforac.html

I was just curious,thanks! :D