Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Today was rough, have been depressed almost continuously all day long. Went out to a bookstore for an hour and felt a little better, but that didn't last long.

I'm 27 years old, and have fairly bad acne scarring. Also, I have crummy looking skin. Its either oily, or has bright red marks (like inflamed looking) plus darker red marks from recent scars. I had my acne under control for several years, but starting in january of 2005 I started breaking out really bad and that lasted up until a couple months ago. I can't stand looking in the mirror. I used to tape up the mirror with a sheet so that I wouldn't have to see my reflection whenever I went into the bathroom. I really wish I could get a clean slate and have a face that wasn't so messed up looking. I'd maybe even be considered handsome if it wasn't for the scarring. Also, I've never had a girlfriend, ever, and its really getting to me. My future feels hopeless. I feel like a prick for feeling sorry for myself, especially when so many other people in the world have it worse. But I can't help it.

I've been thinking about going on an anti-depressant. However, I don't like the idea of them at all. I was on Zoloft for a couple weeks and while I was on it I couldn't get an erection (sorry if thats too much info for you younger folk).

I wouldn't even care about my looks if I was dating attractive women. But its been a year since my last date, and I've only had a handful of dates in my life. Life isn't enjoyable when you're always alone.

i know how you feel - take a poke around the emo forum and i'm sure you'll feel right at home. everyone here, i'm sure, can relate to your pain - but that's life. what do you do for a living?

My biggest fear in life is always being alone...I feel like I'm going to be alone had girls when I was younger and no face problems...Ever since I started getting it have had no luck...its been around 3 years now....

I don't know...

I'm sure there is someone out there for all of us....

i know how you feel - take a poke around the emo forum and i'm sure you'll feel right at home. everyone here, i'm sure, can relate to your pain - but that's life. what do you do for a living?

That's another reason I'm depressed - at the moment I'm unemployed. On interviews, I feel like I'm being judged for how I look. Like certain companies don't want someone that has ugly skin. It looks unprofessional to them.

In reality, its sapping my confidence so much that whether I'm being judged or not, it makes it hard to be confident and impress people in interviews.

Do you have true clinical depression? At the least, you should visit a therapist for some support and an assessment. Don't take depression medications just for sadness or the blues.

Well, if it'll make you feel better, my bro had (and still has) really bad acne scarring during his job hunting, and he still succeeded in securing a sweet job.

Just keep trying, and try to focus more on the interview rather than how you look, and I'm sure you'll be getting those job offers in no time.

I can so relate. I avoid any sort of dating situation because I know there will inevitably be that moment where they are staring at my skin under bright lights. Better to avoid it altogether. I can't stop thinking 'what if' and how different my life would be. I go to work in the morning and rush home at night, and it's hard for me to leave my house. I make excuses to friends so I can avoid having people see me. Not the most fun life. And I hear you with the feeling sorry stuff...I know there are tons of people worse off, I have great friends and family, but still. When something consumes you it's hard not to feel horrible about it.

Anyways, don't know what this really helps. but just I feel your pain.

Today was rough, have been depressed almost continuously all day long.  Went out to a bookstore for an hour and felt a little better, but that didn't last long.

I'm 27 years old, and have fairly bad acne scarring.  Also, I have crummy looking skin.  Its either oily, or has bright red marks (like inflamed looking) plus darker red marks from recent scars.  I had my acne under control for several years, but starting in january of 2005 I started breaking out really bad and that lasted up until a couple months ago.  I can't stand looking in the mirror.  I used to tape up the mirror with a sheet so that I wouldn't have to see my reflection whenever I went into the bathroom.  I really wish I could get a clean slate and have a face that wasn't so messed up looking.  I'd maybe even be considered handsome if it wasn't for the scarring.  Also, I've never had a girlfriend, ever, and its really getting to me.  My future feels hopeless.  I feel like a prick for feeling sorry for myself, especially when so many other people in the world have it worse.  But I can't help it.

I've been thinking about going on an anti-depressant.  However, I don't like the idea of them at all.  I was on Zoloft for a couple weeks and while I was on it I couldn't get an erection (sorry if thats too much info for you younger folk).

I wouldn't even care about my looks if I was dating attractive women.  But its been a year since my last date, and I've only had a handful of dates in my life.  Life isn't enjoyable when you're always alone.

We all feel your pain, but just do the best you can and realize that you ARE doing the best you can. Don't let things you can't change control your life. Sure it might be nice to sit around and imagine what it might be like to never have to worry over your skin again, but you can't live your life worrying about what might have been. We aren't all given the same opportunities in life, some people are born beautiful and rich while others struggle with acne and money problems. Life isn't fair, but that doesn't mean you can't try to find happiness the best you can. Accept what you can't change and realize that life isn't a competition. If there is something you dislike about yourself then ask yourself if you can do anything to change it. If you can, then start working on it, and if you can't change it then realize that that's just part of who you are and accept it. Some things can be very hard to accept, but it's pointless to get mad about things you have no control over. Don't worry about being the richest, or the most beautiful, or the best anything, just be the best person you can be, and realize that that's all you can do. Once you start to understand that you'll find your own path to happiness.

j

I'm going to have my own business in fear that I'll never get a job in a good company...its got to be true that they look for good looking people its the american way......

Yeah, same everywhere really, alot of people are shallow in business and first impressions do always count for something. If someone is lucky enough to be good looking it's human nature for people to assume that person is succesful/rich/powerful. Which ofcourse isn't true, that is why you need to get out there and learn something that sets out apart from the rest, extend yourself beyond the people who just float into jobs. Sooner or later you will get recognized.