Acne.org
Scorpio8647

Who is using something with 2% Hydroquinone?? Any results?

Posted

Ok.... today I finally went out and found some Skin Lightening product called Perfectly Pure Skin Lightening cream.I had a long talk with some lady who works at a vitamin store at the mall near me. She suggested it's best to get rid of blemishes & lighten hyper pigmented skin... She also gave some Vitamin pills that have something like 80% Vitamin E and something else I can't remember too that also help.I'm kind of weary to use the Skin Lightening cream stuff.... because she said that it is best not to be out in the sun alot when using this product..... well... I am not outside a whole lot anyway so it doesn't bother me... I just wanted to know who here is using Hydroquinone 2% and is it doing anything for you!

Posted

i use 4%. it's prescription strength. 2% took forever to work, I never noticed it did anything at all.

I go out in the sun...whatever. I am olive skinned, i can handle it

Posted

2% is found in alot of products, 4 % is probably only found by prescription. Anyway, i would advise you to apply the lightening cream on the individual marks with a q-tip (ear swab). This way the cream will only lighten the marks and not your good skin. This is especially important for those with brown to dark complexions.

Yeah, it does take a while to see results, atleast from the point of view of a brown skin person. Might be shorter for someone with a light complexion.

Posted

Well... Not only do I need to lighten marks but the overall complexion in my face..... Would it be bad to put the cream... a little dose over my face. My original tone is a light brown color but my face isn't through all the damage... and it has gotten darker adding on to those nasty scars.So pray for me that it will work & nothing will backfire!!

Guest ObiWontonKenoli
Posted

I have kinda the same thing from homepeels (plus kojic acid). It'll be a while before I noticed the difference. The website said that if applied everyday, I should see improvements in 3-4 monts. The thing is, sometimes I forget to put it on.

Posted

I'm using the 2% and it is helping and I do not go out in the sun and I'm fair skinned. I was worried at first because of what I read about it, like people who use it long term, wind up with chronic skin conditions, like splotchy skin or something like that I can't remember, I think that is why you need to stay out of the sun, the people who developed this condition were dark skinned people, in some countries this product is banned. I think the problem is that it stops the melanin productin, which is your skin's natural protection from the sun. I'm using to get my skin to look normal and not so pink.

Guest ObiWontonKenoli
Posted

What?? Can't go out in the sun? :D Oh no....I went jogging for 15 mins around five o'clock when the sun was still up :D Hope this is okay, as I was wearing some sun block (Spf30)

Posted

It isn't that you can't go out in the sun. Just just need to wear a hig sunscreen. I live in a country that's like summer all yr around, and i don't have a car. So it's bus and walking.

Hydroquinone is tricky for dark complexion peole to use because after a while it prevents the skin from getting back it's original pigment. That's why it's important to use it on the marks only. Or not you'll cause more unevenness to your skintone

Keep in mind, that like all products, you'll become immune to it after a while. So if you use it for 6- 8 wks. Take a wk off, then start back if needed.

Posted

Yes, I should clarify, just be careful out in the sun, I choose to keep away from it since I'm nearing my 50's and see all these other older people with this leathery, spotty, wrinkled skin and I don't want to look like that, it is when you're young you get the damage and can see it when you are much older, if you're using hydroquinine and acne preparations your skin is more suseptible to burning too.

Posted
It isn't that you can't go out in the sun. Just just need to wear a hig sunscreen. I live in a country that's like summer all yr around, and i don't have a car. So it's bus and walking.  

Hydroquinone is tricky for dark complexion peole to use because after a while it prevents the skin from getting back it's original pigment. That's why it's important to use it on the marks only. Or not you'll cause more unevenness to your skintone

Keep in mind, that like all products, you'll become immune to it after a while. So if you use it for 6- 8 wks. Take a wk off, then start back if needed.

I agree with this because I used hydroquinone on my face for about a month and it made it look worse. Im asian, but I have fairly dark skin for being one (not filipino dark). I had acne scars (brown spots) scattered on my face so I used hydroquinone all over my face w/ sunblock on top of it. My skin looked crappy as ever. I switched to Neutrogena Refining Pore Treatment and Healthy Skin Lotion. My skin is now looking better then ever! Hope this helps.

Posted

Changbanger- It that Neutrogena's Pore Refining Cleanser that you're using? Cause that's what messed up my face and have me on acne sites trying to fix the damage it caused. I kept seeing the ads on tv, and saw that i had the AHAs and "microscrubbers", so i thought this will help exfiloate my skin and lighten whatever marks i did have at the time. That thing had bump, after bump, after bump on my face. Not pimples that i could pop, not cysts. Just red bumps at places on my face that have never been touched by acne in 21 yrs.

So I'm never using one of their products again. It was like pimples in a bottle.

Posted

Scopio - I too am using a 2% Hydroquinone solution and YES it is taking forever to see results and probably need to go to a 4% solution. My skin is fairly light with a bit of olive and yellow under tones and tend to burn easily. And yes i was too disappointed that you shouldn't spend a great deal of time in the sun unless of course you have a higher SPF sun block. Did your MD prescribe your 4%?

Obi - What product are you using that has the kojic acid in it. I heard that kojic acid along with grape seed extract work pretty good at combating dark spots and blemishes. Not to mention the antioxidant properties of the grape seed extract.

Guest ObiWontonKenoli
Posted

Zealous...I'm using the one from homepeels.com 2% also.

Posted

I use a moisturiser with sunscreen called "fade out" it contains 1.9% Hydroquinone.

Costs £5.50 over the counter in UK for a tub that lasts around 4 months.

In US it's only a few dollars a tub.

It's a great moisturiser, especially for oily skin I have found.

Whether it helps acne scarring / red marks I don't know cos I do so many other things also to help with them.

This is my review of the product..

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Fade_Out_Active_Fade..._Review_5343588

Posted

:D Obi thanks for the product...does it work pretty good for you and how did it do for the spots?

Anybody else use anything with both kojic acid and grape seed extract. I think Cellex-C has something but kinda pretty expensive.

Guest ObiWontonKenoli
Posted

Zealous- I don't think it helps too much at this point...I use three different products (the glycolyic, CP and the hydro itself).

Sometimes I think it helps...but sometimes I think it doesn't....I don't know.. :-k :D

Posted

I don't know.... I'm using Perfectly Pure Skin Lightening cream with 2% hydroquonine.... doesn't seem to affect me much :D . Sigh and to think I wasted my money yet again! I am really tired of wasting my money on things that doesn't work! I might as well throw that in the trash.I spent most of my high school and junior high years looking like this! I want to go to the 11th grade looking fresh and brand new again. I want my skin to be clear the last two years of high school!

Posted

exactly guys I have been using a 2% hydroquinone for about 3 months now and really don't see much improvement at this time and know how you feel Scorpio about wasting my money. I think MURAD has something that my friend tried which was pretty good at lightening up his spots...although he has almost perfect skin....argh! There are also several other products that i found on Sephora.com that have kojic acid in them which i heard is a great skin lightner. Somebody let us know what worked the best. thanks.

Zealous1