Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have been following Paula Begouin's advice for using Milk of Magnesia as a mask and makeup primer. I now use it at night, covering my whole face once, letting it dry and applying another coat. Both are always thin coats. A little goes a long way with this. Then in the morning I apply two coats also before my makeup. My makeup doesnt get oily until around 5! and I wakeup at 7! Plus I have very oily skin! My skin is clearing up also! Just wanted to share and hope someone will try this!

Cruella, now you just convinced me into trying this. I have been saying i have to get this but every time i go shopping it always slips my mind, I will give this a go as a makeup primer see how long my makeup can keep the matte look.

Phillips Milk of Magnesia, its a laxative though many people use it as a beuty product on their faces. It absorbs oil and if used as a makeup primer it will stop oil from showing through your makeup for many hours.

smile.gif Do you know what Magnesium Hydroxide is? It is a saline laxative.

saline

[1,adjective]saline[2,noun]physiological saline

Main Entry: 1sa·line

Pronunciation: 'sA-"lEn, -"lIn

Function: adjective

Etymology: Middle English, from Latin salinus, from sal salt -- more at SALT

1 : consisting of or containing salt <a saline solution>

2 : of, relating to, or resembling salt : SALTY <a saline taste>

3 : consisting of or relating to the salts of the alkali metals or of magnesium

See also properties below...

General Properties

Name Magnesium hydroxide

Chemical formula Mg(OH)2

Molar mass 58.33 g/mole

Appearance White solid

Physical

Formula weight 58.3 u

Melting point Decomposes at 623 K (350 °C)

Density 2.4 g/cm³

Crystal structure ?

Solubility 0.0012 g in 100 g water

Thermochemistry

ÃŽâ€fH0gas -561 kJ/mol

ÃŽâ€fH0solid -925 kJ/mol

S0solid 63 J/(mol·K)

Safety

Ingestion Safe in small amounts, but large amounts can be dangerous.

Inhalation May cause irritation.

SkinMay cause irritation.

Eyes May cause irritation.

More info Hazardous Chemical Database

SI units were used where possible. Unless otherwise stated, standard conditions were used.

there are all different types of salts and each has differnet minerals. If youve ever put epsom salts or dead sea salts on your face there would be a difference, the same as you would put magnesium hydroxide on your face. salt burns, and magnesium hydroxide doesnt have this effect and that is why you can use it on your face.

Hey guys, i went to CVS and went to the laxative/antacid aisle, felt funny but hey, no one knows me...anyway i was crouched down looking through all of MOM and they had alot of flavored ones, but i finally found the original Phillips MOM in a 4 oz bottle it was 3 and change. (It says in tiny letters saline laxative.)

I read the ingredients to make sure there was no mineral oil in it, cuz thats a nono if you want your skin to be clear. It wasnt listed as an ingredient, the others i checked did have mineral oil in it.

I tried it last night after washing my face as a mask intending to leave it on for an hour but i fell asleep on the couch and woke up at 5 am, went to the bathroom and scared myself when i saw myself in the mirror.My Face was white and chalky,lol ninja.gif .I had forgotten i had this on my face. So i washed it of but funny thing is that my face felt tacky and sticky, i was like oh no, tell me this doesnt have mineral oil in it! shock.gif , so i used my cleanser to take the sticky stuff off, when my face dried it felt tight like after you do a mask and my pores were tinymy face was matte too, so that was cool, but STILL i was worried about the sticky feeling.

So i went to the website to see if it had mineral oil in it and found out that only the special phillips MOM has mineral oil in it for people with hemmorhoids, so just make sure you dont get that one, but i hope whatever this sticky film doesnt clog my pores in the long run.

I will be using this as a primer on my most oiliest areas. And maybe as a mask once a week, because it could be too drying.

oh forgot to add i had a couple of irritated zits and they went down, im not kidding you, but thats probably cuz i slept with it on, i wouldnt recommend sleeping with a mask of this on but would recommend using as a spot treatment.

I will be using it as a primer today and check back in on how it keeps the oilies away, and again in a week after use.

smile.gif  Do you know what Magnesium Hydroxide is?  It is a saline laxative.

saline

[1,adjective]saline[2,noun]physiological saline 

Main Entry: 1sa·line

Pronunciation: 'sA-"lEn, -"lIn

Function: adjective

Etymology: Middle English, from Latin salinus, from sal salt -- more at SALT

1 : consisting of or containing salt <a saline solution>

2 : of, relating to, or resembling salt : SALTY <a saline taste>

3 : consisting of or relating to the salts of the alkali metals or of magnesium

See also properties below...

General Properties 

Name Magnesium hydroxide

Chemical formula Mg(OH)2

Molar mass 58.33 g/mole

Appearance White solid

Physical

Formula weight 58.3 u

Melting point Decomposes at 623 K (350 °C)

Density 2.4 g/cm³

Crystal structure ?

Solubility 0.0012 g in 100 g water

Thermochemistry

ÃŽâ€fH0gas -561 kJ/mol

ÃŽâ€fH0solid -925 kJ/mol

S0solid 63 J/(mol·K)

Safety

Ingestion Safe in small amounts, but large amounts can be dangerous.

Inhalation May cause irritation.

SkinMay cause irritation.

Eyes May cause irritation.

More info Hazardous Chemical Database

SI units were used where possible. Unless otherwise stated, standard conditions were used.

ditto on that one veggie girl. I know your trying to be helpful and all, but give it a rest because there are people here that are hopeful and looking for cures. Thecharmed1, come back and tell us how MOM worked as a primer for you. good luck!

I was wondering how do yall apply the milk of magnesia.. is it a liquid? if so do you apply with a brush or.. just kind or.. rub it around your face?

i used cliniques pore refiner (it's a primer i think) and it was really good, but i haven't bought it yet because my mom wont buy anything from clinique or lancome..etc unless they have a gift with purchase, and i haven't relaly needed anything from clinique other than that, so i was wondering if this would subsitute as the primer.

Yes this would substitute as a primer and beyond. Milk of Magnesia will make pores appear smaller, make skin smoother, absorb oil, and possibly clear up acne. Magnesisum Hydroxide is a mineral that is very oil absorbing. What you do is you can either put some on a cotton ball and apply or just use your fingers. I have been using my fingers so that I can get just the right amount on.

Dishatar that's exactly the one i got. i love that dancing spiderman by the way!

Ok so the I applied it after i washed my face. I shook it real good and didnt want to use my fingers so i cleaned my foundation brush out good and poured some on the cap then i brushed it on my face concentrating more on the oiliest like my forehead, nose, above my cheeks and chin even over my eyelids,lol

I let it dry and let me tell you, u can feel it when it's drying.

I applied my revlon foundation then set with a powder. I loved the way it looked so far.

As the day went i kept checking my face and it still stayed matte. My make up lasted longer then anythingi tried before and i tried some expensive stuff from Sephoras and and even that little tube of anti-shine i got from online here.

I still had to blot a little but not like i usually do, plus my make-up didnt break down or disentergrate like it usually does when you can see it seperate because your face gets so oily, yuck!

I didnt break out, my skin didnt even get irritated from it, nada! (nothing)

So this is what ill be using from now on and again it only cost me $3.19 for a 4 oz bottle, this is too funny, all the money i spent on high end junk!

Guest Tinky

When using this as a primer, do you rub it in well? Does it show and look white-

ish? I'm using powdered foundation...will it work with that?

How does it look like? and where can i get it?

Make sure you get the 'Original' version:

user posted image

Get it from wherever you buy your medicines from (chemists/some supermarkets) seeing as this is just a laxative. If you can't find it you can buy it online:

Another thing..can i use moisturizer together with this if i use MOM as a makeup base? Coz i use bp and i really feel insecure going out without the spf protection of my moisturizer.

hey guys just to let you know, so far so good with the MOM. I havent broken out so most likely this doesnt break you out, i actually have notice it calmed down a clogged pore that i had on my chin that would've usually turned into a big inflamed cyst, so im so glad i got this.Plus my make-up looks real good and sets really nice!

MOM actually helps acne!, its a mineral (magnesium) that calms redness and draws out oil and imourities from the pores, your skin will be smoother with each use. This is actually a "good for your skin" makeup primer, and it makes your makeup look great. You can use it wih a powder foundation but it will look very great with a liquid. I wouldnt reccomend using a moisturizer if you have oily skin, and this will not dry out your skin, will actually help with flakes. If your problem is flakes, then forget the moisturizer and use this instead. This will make your skin smooth.

I recently have been using M.O.M. as a primer and I highly recommend it. I use a cotton ball and apply a thin coat on my face. After it's dry I then apply a bit of foundation and then powder from a compact. It's totally amazing because I can basically go the whole day shine free. In the past I had to use a blotting paper every few hours, then apply more powder. Now, I don't have to blot at all throughout the day.

It's truly a great make up secret. You get a big bottle for $4, as opposed to a little tube of some fancy name brand primer for $30+. If you're in doubt, don't be. Take my word, and the affirmation of the others on here regarding this product. eusa_clap.gif