Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dishes

Time to add Exfoliating Scrub to Regimen

To all those regimen vets out there, I need your opinion. I have been on the regimen for a while, and I think my skin has completely adjusted to it, and is about as clear as it is going to get. I am pretty much clear, just get a pimple here and there, which I'm sure is normal. I think I am ready to add in an exfoiliating scrub. I think I am at the point where I can add another element in. My question is, how many times a week should I do it, and which one should I get? I think I should do it twice a week. Does anyone know if Nivea for Men (if you are male) is a good one? Let me know what you all think!

Guest Excalibur

I wouldn't use a scrub at all. I think any irritation is bad for your skin. How about a face peel (non-acidic) instead?

I use St. Ives Apricot Radiance Age-Defying Cream Cleanser (that's a mouthful) as my everyday cleanser and it's helped heeps.

I really can't go without a little exfoiliation, my skin just would not stop getting flakey. Now the only time I get dry skin is if I forget to moisterize at night.

My skins not all that tough, and this cream cleanser is just the right amount for my face.

(and if anyone is thinking of the regular St Ives scrubs, this is not that dense, I know that stuff is like sand paper, makes a great foot exfoiliator tongue.gif )

I've been a regimen user for a few years now, and my skin looks great!

I highly recommend Neutrogena Microdermabrasian. It is phenomenal at getting rid of those around-the-mouth flakes.

Just because the regimen doesn't include it, it doesn't mean it's bad for you. A little gentle exfoliation is actually quite helpful. Insted of getting a scrub, you should try putting a bit of your face wash on a washcloth and gently going over your face with it, really helps with the flakes.

My FAVORITE exfoliant of all time was this homemade recipe that an herb healer gave me. Take some fresh seaweed from the ocean, some ocean water and take some sand (make sure its pretty fine, if not you can crush it or grind it), then after you wash the seaweed really good put it in a blender with a bit of the ocean water and blend it until you get a good consistency. Then you add a bit of sand, mix it and you have yourself an all natural exfoliator. Works MIRACLES!!!! the only problem is that I don't live that close to the beach so I can only do it when I go there, because the mixture has to be very fresh to work its magic.

Good luck

Scrubbing is definitely useful for a variety of reasons, but I would only do it 1-3 times a week in order to avoid any kind of irritation. I currently scrub twice a week, and it has helped my complexion tremendously. I'm actually a big fan of Nivea Face Scrub for Men, as well as more expensive products made by Jack Black, California North, and Baxter's. At the very least, give Nivea a try: it's cheap, available practically everywhere, and is very effective. Stay away from baking soda, however.

The point of the Regimen is not to scrub or exfoliate so much, but to control sebum.

I think adding a scrub is really important. It wont hurt if your only using it once or twice a week, and arent scrubbing over any active acne. Baking soda works fine for me, but you could try something else, like the washcloth suggestion. Just remember that theres no need to really scrub hard at your face, all you have to do is lightly move the scrub over your skin. That will be enough to make a difference.

yeah, a washcloth is the best exfoliation without irritation.  you could also use a chemical exfoliant like AHA.  I wouldn't use of those gritty scrubs, they rip your skin apart.  shock.gif

Muslin cloths are a good way of exfoliating without tearing your skin up. Gentler than washcloths. There are a few cleansers you can use with the cloths:

Eve Lom (expensive)

Ultrabland from Lush (cheap but good)

Liz Earle - it's called something like hot polish

The idea is that you wash your muslin cloth after each use (so they are really hygienic), so have a few in rotation. They are cheap to buy - you can buy a large muslin square and cut it into smaller bits.

You put your cleanser onto your skin in a massaging motion. Moisten your muslin cloth in warm water (I used boiled water from the kettle) and then wipe off the cleanser.

Makes your skin feel very soft and clean but it's also very faffy.

Have a look on www.makeupalley.com, they have reviews of all these products.

Kaz

yeah, a washcloth is the best exfoliation without irritation.  you could also use a chemical exfoliant like AHA.  I wouldn't use of those gritty scrubs, they rip your skin apart.   shock.gif

Dan? Brandy? Anyone else with some experience?

I will be honest with you. I don't use anything for exfoliation, except my moisturizer that contains some AHA in it. It took me a long time to realize that scrubs actually make my acne worse, they create plugs. Those little scrubby things would actually get stuck in my skin somehow (I know it sounds bizarre, but it is true), and clog my pores, thus creating more breakouts. So I steer clear of any scrubs. And I don't use a washcloth either.

The only advice I have is that if you decide to start using those products, if you notice that you are breaking out more, suspect the exfoliating product you are using. Otherwise, if you add one in and you still remain clear, then I guess your skin is okay with it. Just be observant of your skin and make sure you are not irritating it.

Hmm, Yes, I wonder if Dan could suggest a suitable alternative method of exfoliation for those can't tolerate the *ahem* Eucerin Skin Renewal?

The regimen is dead against scrubs though, so I would think it's one of them variables you gotta add in ''at your own risk''.

Scrubs/washcloths ----> irritation anyone? eusa_eh.gif

I used the nivea for men scrub for years dishes if ya interested. As mentioned by someone above, it is your bog standard scrub really. It's quite a fine grainy texture, which is what you want in a scrub (big sharp grains = user posted image). It's pretty good really, very cheap and practical. I might go back to it, now that I realise the eucerin renewal isn't for me.

Hmm, Yes, I wonder if Dan could suggest a suitable alternative method of exfoliation for those can't tolerate the *ahem* Eucerin Skin Renewal?

The regimen is dead against scrubs though, so I would think it's one of them variables you gotta add in ''at your own risk''.

Scrubs/washcloths ----> irritation anyone?  eusa_eh.gif

I used the nivea for men scrub for years dishes if ya interested. As mentioned by someone above, it is your bog standard scrub really. It's quite a fine grainy texture, which is what you want in a scrub (big sharp grains = user posted image). It's pretty good really, very cheap and practical. I might go back to it, now that I realise the eucerin renewal isn't for me.

I know what you mean, it has to be a try at your own risk thing since our skin can be so different.

FWIW, I swear those fine grains actually get stuck in pores/follicles and clog. Just be careful if you decide to add something like that in. And at the first sign of an unusual breakout, suspect those scrubby beads.

I know what you mean, it has to be a try at your own risk thing since our skin can be so different.

FWIW, I swear those fine grains actually get stuck in pores/follicles and clog. Just be careful if you decide to add something like that in. And at the first sign of an unusual breakout, suspect those scrubby beads.

Well I think I might try one, I'm still not sure though.  My skin is just sort of "rough" around my mouth, little bumps of clogged pores I think.  I was hoping a scrub every now and then might open them up a little.  I might just try the ole baking soda every now and then though, that is supposed to be an ok exfoliater.

Well I think I might try one, I'm still not sure though.  My skin is just sort of "rough" around my mouth, little bumps of clogged pores I think.  I was hoping a scrub every now and then might open them up a little.  I might just try the ole baking soda every now and then though, that is supposed to be an ok exfoliater.

Ah.

Well, a gentle scrub for removing dead skin is one thing.

Scrubbing to open up pores is quite another.

I used to have loadsa clogged pore little buggers when I started the reg, (not sure if you were around when I was complaining about them)...

And believe you me, scrubbing is the worst the worst thing for clogged pores. I still have nightmare flashbacks about using scrubs to tackle my clogged pores. I don't know if scrubbing just made them more visible, but after a couple weeks of using a scrub, -Note; to tackle clogged pores- had a zillion more clogged pores than I started with...

..maybe it just made them more visible, I dunno, but it sure as hell didn't help them.

So, I'm with Brandy, little grainy scrubs (ie the Nivea for men) could be a bad idea.

---> I am also looking to introduce a ''exfoliant'' because I can't use eucerin AHA renewal. Not sure what I'll go with yet. ACV maybe.

Ah.

I used to have loadsa clogged pore little buggers when I started the reg, (not sure if you were around when I was complaining about them)...

And believe you me, scrubbing is the worst the worst thing for clogged pores. I still have nightmare flashbacks about using scrubs to tackle my clogged pores. I don't know if scrubbing just made them more visible, but after a couple weeks of using a scrub, -Note; to tackle clogged pores- had a zillion more clogged pores than I started with...

..maybe it just made them more visible, I dunno, but it sure as hell didn't help them.

So, I'm with Brandy, little grainy scrubs (ie the Nivea for men) could be a bad idea.

---> I am also looking to introduce a ''exfoliant'' because I can't use eucerin AHA renewal. Not sure what I'll go with yet. ACV maybe.

Ah.

I only realized this recently that the scrubs were making my blackheads much more noticable. I've had acne and blackheads for like 11 years and have just realized this mind you... I used to scrub the crap out of my nose thinking that it would make them go away and I used to use the Biore pore strips and that extractor torture tool. But only until recently when I stopped all that and treated my nose and pores nicely, my blackheads are less than half the size they were, which is just nuts to me. I don't even have to put makeup on my nose to cover those little things up. I do sometimes use a washcloth though, which is probably helping.

I mainly used the washcloth when I wasn't on Dan's reg. I wouldn't use it on the places where you apply BP. I can use a washcloth on my nose though since I never apply BP there. I think it would too irriating. I recently started using the Eucerin Renewal for daily exfoliation because my skin has a tendency to flake really easily. I think AHA is your best bet.