Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ringledman

Hitting the weights

Any advice guys on how to hit the weights and not make my acne worse?

I am very skinny & need to bulk up but in the past I always break out further due to the increased testosterone of weightlifting.

Cheers.

Unless you can stop the source of your acne or at least control it, working out will just aggravate it and make it worst. But if you cant, try to shower right after or at least wipe your sweat with a clean towel. Sweat tries to get rid of toxins from your skin and body, as a result breaking out. But if there's no toxins or acne bacteria inside you, then you won't break out.

No reason that lifting weights will irritate your acne or make you more prone to breakouts. Just don't do steroids and it will be fine.

even if it does give you more acne its worth working out man. trust me i used to be 110 but i bulked and worked out and gained 15 pounds and i look a lot better.

If you do work out always remember to wash your hands after hitting the weights, God knows you don't want to touch your face with all the crap left on em.

I have been lifting weights for about a year and a half and I never noticed an increase in acne. If you are going to start lifting though, let me give you some advice that I wish someone had given me when I first started.

1) Eat everything you can get your hands on. If you have the commitment, track your calories to make sure you are getting enough. YOU NEED TO EAT MORE CALORIES THAN YOU EXPEND TO PUT ON MUSCLE. If you are not gaining weight, you need to eat more.

2) Squat and Deadlift.

3) Do HEAVY compound lifts. Isolation exercises will get you nowhere fast. That means lay off the curls. I suggest focusing on Squats, deadlifts, benchpress, military press, and (weighted) pullups/chinups.

yup good advice Trizznain, it was pure hell for me to get used to 6 meals a day but its worth it. a lot of girls will actually compliment me now on my body smile.gif

you wanna bulk?? Keep your reps around 8 - 10 range, then once you get the form go for 4 - 6 reps heavy and about 3 - 5 sets. Give each muscle 3 days to rest... i give each of my muscles 1 week though. i suggest you do DC type training which is adding in cardio WITH the lifting and eating all you want. Research HIIT training, which is a very efficient form of cardio that will be short but intense. Thats how you should lift also, short but full of intensity. 100 grams of protein is all you really need. People say to take 1gram per pound of bodyweight, or even 2 lbs, up to you really. Buy some whey protein, take that morning, before and after workout, and if you can take some "casein" protein before bed which digests slow bcause your body will be in a catabolic state when resting for so long. You want to stay anabolic as possible. Good sources of casein would be from fat free cottage cheese. Anything else, just ask

by the way stay away from "L-glutamine", instead go for glutamine peptides if you are ever considering getting that stuff. Stay away from muscle tech products, and stay away from liquid creatine.

Some people say working out causes increased testosterone which increases acne. Others say that work out and exercise promotes healthy hormonal balance which decreases acne.

Its another double bladed sword that people argue about.

Personally I dont let it stop me from working out. And I wouldnt let it stop you. If you're gonna continue one habit you know is bad for your acne, make it working out. Because its healthier, will make you look better, and will make u feel alot better.

Forget those idiots with increased testosterone, I dont really believe it anyway.

The biggest factor i would avoid is touching you face (someone mentioned this breifly). Avoid touching your face due to all the germs and avoid wiping sweat off using the same towel that you are placing on the bench, eqiupment, etc. I do it sometimes inadvertantly and the bacteria can cause breakouts.

100 grams of protein is all you really need. People say to take 1gram per pound of bodyweight, or even 2 lbs, up to you really. Buy some whey protein, take that morning, before and after workout, and if you can take some "casein" protein before bed which digests slow bcause your body will be in a catabolic state when resting for so long.

100 grams of protein is all you really need. People say to take 1gram per pound of bodyweight, or even 2 lbs, up to you really. Buy some whey protein, take that morning, before and after workout, and if you can take some "casein" protein before bed which digests slow bcause your body will be in a catabolic state when resting for so long.

This is not very good advice. The amount of protein you need to take in is not an absolute value, but rather it is based on your LBM. Get AT LEAST 1g of protein/lb of bodyweight. 100gs of protein is only sufficient if your LBM is 100lbs. Also, there is no need to buy whey protein, you can get sufficient protein from your diet. I get about 250gs of protein without taking whey. Think tuna, chicken, cottage cheese, nuts, etc. And make sure you get CARBS before and after your workout. It is important to get protein before and after as well, but you should be primarily concerned with carbs.

Another important note is to make sure that you consume ALOT of water. High protein diets can be rough on your liver so you have to make sure to drink lots of water to help flush it out.

Yea, actually I was down to 95lbs (since I started my healthy diet) and I am now at 100lbs (in about a weeks time) and I am only taking 60g of whey protein. My goal is to get to 110lbs. This stuff is pretty amazing since I have an extremely hard time gaining weight and I find it very convenient since I cannot eat 6 meal a day. Unfortunately, I had to stop taking it because I feel as thought the whey protein was effecting my mood and I don't have much energy. Is anyone else experiencing this or have any ideas as to why I may be having these symptoms?

Yea, actually I was down to 95lbs (since I started my healthy diet) and I am now at 100lbs (in about a weeks time) and I am only taking 60g of whey protein. My goal is to get to 110lbs. This stuff is pretty amazing since I have an extremely hard time gaining weight and I find it very convenient since I cannot eat 6 meal a day. Unfortunately, I had to stop taking it because I feel as thought the whey protein was effecting my mood and I don't have much energy. Is anyone else experiencing this or have any ideas as to why I may be having these symptoms?

Unless you can stop the source of your acne or at least control it, working out will just aggravate it and make it worst. But if you cant, try to shower right after or at least wipe your sweat with a clean towel. Sweat tries to get rid of toxins from your skin and body, as a result breaking out. But if there's no toxins or acne bacteria inside you, then you won't break out.