Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everyone!

I haven't been very active on this site for a while now but it helped me a lot especially when i started my Roaccutane course way back in March!

I have been taking Roaccutane for over 6 months now! (I started with 60mg for the first 5 months and then she increased my dosage to average 70mg). I think i will stop taking the pills either next month (i.e. 7 months) or the following (8 months). It is a pretty high dosage for such a long period of time especially since now i weigh around 45 kgs!!!

Before i started taking the pills, my derm did 3 chemical peels on my face to remove the top layers of the skin. As soon as i did my 3rd peel she prescribed the pills and i started taking them. She also told me to use Retin A + Hydroquinone 5% cream once weekly to be applied at night and rinsed off in the morning - the result of this is that my face becomes VERY red and starts to peel - i have reduced the peeling by washing my face with sea water (salty) and leaving it on for a while and then rinsing with fresh water. I use Hyfac face wash, Apaisac Reconstructing emulsion, Exfoliac moisturiser hydratante and La Roche Posay Fluide Extreme SPF 60 sunblock.

My derm says that i was one of the worst cases she ever had and she is thoroughly happy with my progress. during the first month i got the most horrible initial breakout you can possibly imagine! now when i look back i do not know how i went through it - but everything passes so have hope - thinks will look up and time passes quickly!

Now i have red marks in the places where i had the cysts from my initial breakout, some scars on my temples and a nodular cyst which has been there for around 4 months but is getting smaller each time. When i visit the derm she removes the cysts i have using a needle (under anesthetic). I don't get any new pimples anymore - or i just get one very rarely but nothing major or worrying.

I have no idea why i decided to write my experience here today so far - just hope it might be useful to someone because i know how much i craved for information especially during the first months.

As for side effects they are nowhere as bad as some people make them out to be - or maybe that is just my experience. I have extemely dry lips but Apaisac lip balm totally solves that for me. In the first month i used to get some chest pains but that stopped and improved when i started drinking more water. My skin has become very dry on my body and tends to peel but i use Uriage body wash and moisturiser which are very rich and specifically for dry skin. My hair has become dry as opposed to the oily state it once was in - this is pretty good coz i blow dry my hair less often now! Also my skin takes longer to heal now. In the past 2 weeks i have been feeling dizzy but i am not sure if it has anything to do with the pills. I visited my GP and he is going to make some blood tests tomorrow. Sometimes i also used to get pains in my lower back but that passed too.

I think the worst problem i have had has been with finding good make up. I currently use Sisley Phyto teint Eclat foundation which is pretty good but pricey. I think my biggest problem while on Roaccutane has been trying to find a really good foundation, concealer, make up base and powder!! Any suggestions are welcome thanks! My derm says i should just use OIL FREE make up but she didn't recommend any make up brands! I feel that the way make up companies advertise their products is so unfair plus their models are usually airbrushed and have perfect skin so it doesnt really help the consumer!

Well i think i have said enough! Sorry for the really long post and if anyone needs my help just PM me!!

Take care and good luck!

Hi everyone!

I haven't been very active on this site for a while now but it helped me a lot especially when i started my Roaccutane course way back in March!

I have been taking Roaccutane for over 6 months now! (I started with 60mg for the first 5 months and then she increased my dosage to average 70mg).  I think i will stop taking the pills either next month (i.e. 7 months) or the following (8 months).  It is a pretty high dosage for such a long period of time especially since now i weigh around 45 kgs!!!

Before i started taking the pills, my derm did 3 chemical peels on my face to remove the top layers of the skin.  As soon as i did my 3rd peel she prescribed the pills and i started taking them.  She also told me to use Retin A + Hydroquinone 5% cream once weekly to be applied at night and rinsed off in the morning - the result of this is that my face becomes VERY red and starts to peel - i have reduced the peeling by washing my face with sea water (salty) and leaving it on for a while and then rinsing with fresh water.  I use Hyfac face wash, Apaisac Reconstructing emulsion, Exfoliac moisturiser hydratante and La Roche Posay Fluide Extreme SPF 60 sunblock.

My derm says that i was one of the worst cases she ever had and she is thoroughly happy with my progress.  during the first month i got the most horrible initial breakout you can possibly imagine! now when i look back i do not know how i went through it - but everything passes so have hope - thinks will look up and time passes quickly!

Now i have red marks in the places where i had the cysts from my initial breakout, some scars on my temples and a nodular cyst which has been there for around 4 months but is getting smaller each time.  When i visit the derm she removes the cysts i have using a needle (under anesthetic).  I don't get any new pimples anymore - or i just get one very rarely but nothing major or worrying. 

I have no idea why i decided to write my experience here today so far - just hope it might be useful to someone because i know how much i craved for information especially during the first months.

As for side effects they are nowhere as bad as some people make them out to be - or maybe that is just my experience.  I have extemely dry lips but Apaisac lip balm totally solves that for me.  In the first month i used to get some chest pains but that stopped and improved when i started drinking more water.  My skin has become very dry on my body and tends to peel but i use Uriage body wash and moisturiser which are very rich and specifically for dry skin.  My hair has become dry as opposed to the oily state it once was in - this is pretty good coz i blow dry my hair less often now!  Also my skin takes longer to heal now.  In the past 2 weeks i have been feeling dizzy but i am not sure if it has anything to do with the pills.  I visited my GP and he is going to make some blood tests tomorrow.  Sometimes i also used to get pains in my lower back but that passed too.

I think the worst problem i have had has been with finding good make up.  I currently use Sisley Phyto teint Eclat foundation which is pretty good but pricey.  I think my biggest problem while on Roaccutane has been trying to find a really good foundation, concealer, make up base and powder!!  Any suggestions are welcome thanks!  My derm says i should just use OIL FREE make up but she didn't recommend any make up brands!  I feel that the way make up companies advertise their products is so unfair plus their models are usually airbrushed and have perfect skin so it doesnt really help the consumer!

Well i think i have said enough!  Sorry for the really long post and if anyone needs my help just PM me!!

Take care and good luck!

Hi everyone!

I have been taking Roaccutane for over 6 months now! (I started with 60mg for the first 5 months and then she increased my dosage to average 70mg).  I think i will stop taking the pills either next month (i.e. 7 months) or the following (8 months).  It is a pretty high dosage for such a long period of time especially since now i weigh around 45 kgs!!!

Before i started taking the pills, my derm did 3 chemical peels on my face to remove the top layers of the skin.  As soon as i did my 3rd peel she prescribed the pills and i started taking them.  She also told me to use Retin A + Hydroquinone 5% cream once weekly to be applied at night and rinsed off in the morning - the result of this is that my face becomes VERY red and starts to peel - i have reduced the peeling by washing my face with sea water (salty) and leaving it on for a while and then rinsing with fresh water.  I use Hyfac face wash, Apaisac Reconstructing emulsion, Exfoliac moisturiser hydratante and La Roche Posay Fluide Extreme SPF 60 sunblock.

My derm says that i was one of the worst cases she ever had and she is thoroughly happy with my progress.  during the first month i got the most horrible initial breakout you can possibly imagine! now when i look back i do not know how i went through it - but everything passes so have hope - thinks will look up and time passes quickly!

Now i have red marks in the places where i had the cysts from my initial breakout, some scars on my temples and a nodular cyst which has been there for around 4 months but is getting smaller each time.  When i visit the derm she removes the cysts i have using a needle (under anesthetic).  I don't get any new pimples anymore - or i just get one very rarely but nothing major or worrying. 

As for side effects they are nowhere as bad as some people make them out to be - or maybe that is just my experience.  I have extemely dry lips but Apaisac lip balm totally solves that for me.  In the first month i used to get some chest pains but that stopped and improved when i started drinking more water.  My skin has become very dry on my body and tends to peel but i use Uriage body wash and moisturiser which are very rich and specifically for dry skin.  My hair has become dry as opposed to the oily state it once was in - this is pretty good coz i blow dry my hair less often now!  Also my skin takes longer to heal now.  In the past 2 weeks i have been feeling dizzy but i am not sure if it has anything to do with the pills.  I visited my GP and he is going to make some blood tests tomorrow.  Sometimes i also used to get pains in my lower back but that passed too.

I think the worst problem i have had has been with finding good make up.  I currently use Sisley Phyto teint Eclat foundation which is pretty good but pricey.  I think my biggest problem while on Roaccutane has been trying to find a really good foundation, concealer, make up base and powder!!  Any suggestions are welcome thanks!  My derm says i should just use OIL FREE make up but she didn't recommend any make up brands!  I feel that the way make up companies advertise their products is so unfair plus their models are usually airbrushed and have perfect skin so it doesnt really help the consumer!

Well i think i have said enough!  Sorry for the really long post and if anyone needs my help just PM me!!

Take care and good luck!