Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carys

The Accutane Show

Thats funny, I also thought the pregnancy warnings are a bit much....its like we fuckin get it. They might as well put one of those pictures of like a skull and bones on it.... like in cartoons whenever theres a bottle of "poison." haha..

You said it about the pregnancy warnings - did you also have to watch a video which basically repeats the words, "do not get pregnant" over and over again for 10 minutes? And then I had to sign a bunch of stuff, and yes - the actual packets of pills are covered in warnings. In fact, each time I pop out a pill, I have to tear off the paper backing that has the "no pregnancy" symbol on it. Just in case I have forgotten in the hours since I took my last pill that I am not supposed to get pregnant. . . insulting our intelligence, don't you think?! Well, whatever, they do what they need to do. If this medication does what it is supposed to do, they can put out as many pregnancy warnings as they wish. . .

Haha - the IB abbreviation is popular, no? Although it kind of reminds me of IBS, and that is not that pleasant either. . .

Well, hey - if your eyebrow zit becomes a cyst, we can be right-eyebrow-cyst buddies! I bet mine's bigger, though. . .

Good luck with physics!

- Lemurlover

Thats funny, I also thought the pregnancy warnings are a bit much....its like we fuckin get it. They might as well put one of those pictures of like a skull and bones on it.... like in cartoons whenever theres a bottle of "poison." haha..

I spent a Saturday morning with a pair of scissors, opening up a few of my Amnesteem packs and transferring the pills to a bottle. Time consuming, but well worth it! Much more discreet, no need to wrestle with those stubborn packages in public anymore. eusa_dance.gif

Claud,

Thanks! I'll need it!

LL, Login Name, Twocanyan, KittyK,

Yeah, I think the packaging is ANNOYING!!!! I'm not trying to hide it from my family, which is just my son and hubby, but I get frustrated w/it. I also keep it up in a closet on a high shelf because my son is still at an age where he doesn't understand that medicine is NOT candy. Definitely wouldn't want him getting his hands on this stuff! shock.gifshock.gifshock.gifshock.gif

Yesterday's physics class went well. The prof is super nice and is one of those cool instructors who won't hold you late and will most likely let you go early. She was also quick to tell us that this class will be EASY as pie, so that makes me feel reassured! Today I have my english class, which sucks because I am not a paper writer, but must suffer through this course to get my all-important degree. Oh well!

Day Seven: WOO HOO, one week down! I woke up w/my face being a bit dry on the sides, but I'm still oily in my T-zone. Pimple count remains the same, but the cyst that is on my right eyebrow seems a little smaller this morning. Maybe it'll be on it's way out soon? Other than that, my face is just the same as it always is. Areas of clarity and areas of spottiness. Bloody boogers abound and when I was brushing my teeth last night my gums were sore! I sinicerely hope that goes away soon.

Other than that, not much else to mention! Will update later and I hope everyone else is doing well! biggrin.gif

The storage instructions for isotretinoin state to "protect it from light." If you keep it in a bottle, you should use something opaque.

The Amnesteem packaging isn't too bad; you just have to know how to work the child safety lock. biggrin.gif

Turn the package so that the the perforated backing of the pill you want has the round part facing away from you. Lift up the bottom, straight edge of the perforated backing and you'll find a piece of foil underneath it. Grab both the foil and the backing and tear them off. This might not fully expose the pill, but then all you have to do is poke a hole in the thin piece of foil that's left. Easy! wink.gif

Day 8: Boring. Not much to report. Same old same old, but at least there isn't a breakout at hand *yet*. That's ok w/me! Still oily. Actually I think more so than normal! DAMN! I haven't even been using very much moisturizer on my face, although I slather on the Aquaphor like it's going out of style just in case.

Anyway, tomorrow is another day! eusa_angel.gif

Day 11: Not much to report. My head feels a little more itchy, and my nose is a nightmare! However, I managed to fix my dry nostrils by swabbing them with a q-tip dipped in vaseline. Thank goodness I started to do that, otherwise I would have gone nuts from the dryness. I could feel the insides of my nose cracking each time I talked, ate, or moved!

I've been getting little baby-sized zits, but not many at a time, which is fine w/me! They also seem to come and go fast, and is something else I'm not complaining about at all! I'm still oily, though. I really can't wait to dry up on my face because I do NOT want to buy another pack of blotting tissues!

I don't think I've been suffering from any other weird side effects. Overall, I'd say I'm handling the drug rather well. Hopefully, I'll continue to do well.

Need to go study now. I have a stupid punctuation test on Tues. rolleyes.gif

Hi, Carys -

Just finished the day 9 pills, myself. . .

I, too, have found the vaseline up the nostrils to be very effective. . . I am terrified of having a bloody nose in public - not something that you can hide very well!

My head is also getting itchy - guess I'll probably have to change shampoos soon - any recommendations? I was thinking probably Neutrogena T-gel. . .

Also: have you experienced any extreme fatigue? I slept 9 hours last night, then took a 2 hour nap this afternoon - I was beat! I'm feeling better now, but I can't be sleeping half the day away - I've got to study!

And speaking of, that's probably what I should be doing now, after emerging from my coma. . .

Glad to hear things are going well for you!

Hey, LL!

Yes! I have been REALLY tired lately. Last night, I went to bed at 8 p.m.! I almost NEVER do that. I slept almost 12 hrs, too, waking at 7:30 this morning. I hope that's something that gets adjusted out, like a lot of the other side effects seem to do!

Speaking of vaseline up the nose, I need to re-lube! lol.gif

Hope things are going ok for you as well! (And as far as a good anti-itch shampoo goes, I would think the Neutrogena stuff would be ok. I haven't gone and switched shampoos yet, but when I do I'll probably pick that one up!)

to carys and lemur lover

in my experience the fatigue should fade. i was sleeping up to 17hrs in the first week but by the second week i was back to normal. my best peice of advice is simply to drink lots of water i think thats the key.

good luck

This is lame on my part, but today I feel a little depressed about my face. It isn't horrible or even badly broken out, but I have a larger cyst on the side of my chin that just sort of appeared over the last few hours and it makes me sad. sad.gif It's ugly and horrible and I hate it.

I think one of the worst things about acne (for me, anyway) is that it ebbs and flows. You'll have those moments of relative clarity and then, BAM, a few zits show up to ruin your day (or week, as the case may be). I get annoyed after having clear(er) skin for a week or so and then seeing these zits pop up out of nowhere. Obviously, being on Claravis makes it even more difficult to know what's going on. It seems like one second things are improving and the next it's all down the crapper. GRR.

Just feeling a little down right now! I suppose that's how 'taning goes, though, right?

hey carys...thats too bad your feeling that way right now. Keep your chin up though, it will all be better soon! I dont feel like typing my progress again because it was quite long, but take a look at the topic I started in prescription meds because I just updated that and I feel alot like you do right now. But dont worry, we're in this together!

Hi, Carys -

I feel ya. . .

This thing, this monstrosity of nastiness near my eyebrow that I have been talking about for the past week seems to be doing absolutely nothing. Nada. It is no longer inflammed (and hasn't been for the past several days), but it is hard and painful to the touch. It feels as though there is a pebble beneath the skin, and the fact that it is not getting any smaller is kind of depressing me. . . I tried poking at it with a pin today (bad, very bad), but that did nothing (as I suspected). I almost wish it would get inflammed again so that my body could react and be done with it. . . I really don't know what's going on with this thing. . .

And my skin texture is crappy as well - kind of bumpy-rash-type thing going on (and I don't think I even need to mention the redness). . .

But I'm trying to take it all in stride - all in the name of clear skin in the end, right?!

We'll get through it!

Oh, and by the way, I just bought some Neutrogena T-Gel, intense itch relief shampoo. My head has been itching like crazy, and I think I may have developed dandruff today. . . I'll let you know how the shampoo works, though!

Take care!

- C.

Thanks, guys, for your words of encouragement! These boards are so wonderful to have! I'm so glad I can come on here and vent to an audience that truly gets what I'm going through.

One thing that's helped to calm me down is exercise. I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who wants to get their mind off of skin problems. Plus, if I can't have a hot face, I may as well have a hot ass! cool.gif

Day 13: I can't believe it's already been almost two weeks since I've started Claravis. My skin seems to be just about the same as when I started, though. The zit on the left side of my chin and the one above my left eyebrow are still there and just dormant. They're not inflammed, but just little rocks under the surface that are just hanging out (ala Lemurlover's eyebrow monstrosity. I feel ya, girl!). I have one smaller one that will probably develop into a head soon and be gone by tomorrow. I've also noticed one on the side of the bridge of my nose, which is really weird, because I don't normally get zits there. That one will, unfortunately, probably get huge because it started out as a whitehead and is now inflammed. I've noticed, also, that I have some blackheads in areas that I don't normally get them in. Perhaps this is the onset of the dreaded IB! (OOOOH NOOOOOOOO!) Well, partially, anyway. I usually start breaking out about this time of the month. Around two weeks out from the start of my period, my skin usually takes a turn for the worse and slowly gets ickier and ickier till I get my period, then it clears a bit for two weeks, only to break out againf or another two. AND the cycle continues . . .

Well, I'm going to shower and decide whether or not to put makeup on today. I probably won't because I don't think we're going to go anywhere today.

Ho hum! eusa_whistle.gif

Day 14: Well, I woke up this morning feeling a *little* better. The fact is, last night I sort of went on a bit of a rampage and picked and poked at my skin, which made things worse than they would be normally. After sleeping last night, I woke up and all the redness from picking has virtually disappeared, making things look much better than they did last night.

Anyway, I still have the big underground marble on the left side of my chin, and I'm not even going to attempt to try to predict what that thing does. Right now, it's just sitting there, not painful but still visibly noticeable. The "marble" right above my left eyebrow seems to be going away, but slowly. I also have a baby zit about an inch above the eyebrow "marble" that will probably dry up and die tonight. I have two mini-zits close to my hairline on the right side of my forehead and one cyst on my jawline, which is really weird because I haven't gotten a cyst on my jawline in a REALLY long time. Usually, it's all about the sides of my chin. Other than having the jawline and forehead zits, my face is normal. Like I've said before, about this time of the month I start to break out anyway, so this isn't out of the ordinary, save the location of the zits.

I'm hoping that I might be able to avoid a huge IB. Today is the two-week marker, so I'm hopeful that this will be the worst of it, even though it isn't near as bad as it could be.

Hope everyone else is doing ok! wub.gif

So the 'marbles' are normal? I have never had one before, but as you know, the eyebrow thing is really getting to me. I swear it has been at least 5 days and it has not getten any smaller. But it is not inflammed either. . . I was begining to think it was a tumor.

But anyway - hope you remain clear of the IB - I can't tell if I have had one or am having one. . . I had a zit pop up yesterday (popped it this AM), and a new one popped up today, but it seems to be small, so I'm not worried. . . I think I would have been getting these anyway, had I not been on Accutane, so I really don't think it's the Accutane causing these zits. . .

Well, anyway - off to walk to dog before class!

Glad to hear that you are doing well!

So the 'marbles' are normal?  I have never had one before, but as you know, the eyebrow thing is really getting to me.  I swear it has been at least 5 days and it has not getten any smaller.  But it is not inflammed either. . . I was begining to think it was a tumor. 

But anyway - hope you remain clear of the IB - I can't tell if I have had one or am having one. . .  I had a zit pop up yesterday (popped it this AM), and a new one popped up today, but it seems to be small, so I'm not worried. . .  I think I would have been getting these anyway, had I not been on Accutane, so I really don't think it's the Accutane causing these zits. . .

Well, anyway - off to walk to dog before class!

Glad to hear that you are doing well!

Marbles suck. They suck hard. I think I am going to put hot compresses on mine tonight - try to increase blood flow to the site of destruction, increase the number of macrophages and neutrophils (sorry - taking pathology this semester smile.gif) to hopefully clear the nasty ball of pus. . . not sure if this will work, but in my mind, it does. And I am big on the placebo effect. . .

. . . And my dog is a pitbull mix named Bosco. . . I'll try posting his picture on my log!

Hope you lose your marbles - haha! I'm hoping to lose mine too!

- C.