Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jonathan

Accutane and Body Acne

I just would like to know, how effective is accutane against body acne?

My chest and neck aren't too bad, just a few small pimples, but my back is awful. Several cysts and loads of tiny bumps.

So I want to know, anyone with experience, will accutane clear all of this? I have a decision to make soon whether to go on it, and a lot depends on how good it will be getting rid of body acne.

Thanks!

Accutane cleared up my body acne very quickly (much more quickly than it cleared up my face). It returned unfortunately and nothing else I have tried has been very helpful. Accutane is your best and most effective way of clearing acne in nearly all cases - both facial and body acne. The only downside is the acne often returns but it is at least usually significantly less severe.

Thanks for your reply JJ.

You said that it came back? Are you not able to continue on Accutane anymore?

Although it came back (twice actually - I have had 2 cycles of accutane), it is now not as severe as it was and in my derm's opinion not severe enough to warrant going on accutane again. I have found like most people here that Dan's Regimen is doing a good job keeping my face pretty much clear but obviously the Regimen does not apply to body acne. I have had mild success with some of the various body washes but am not able to clear it up completely, which accutane did both times I was on it (and like I said in very quick time).

That sounds great, seems like you are nearly clear then.

My face is practically clear to, I do not use B.P on it anymore, I'm just on Lymecycline which seems to be doing the trick.

However, my body acne is being pretty persistent, and my Doctor thinks accutane would be a good idea, there is just a pretty long wait to see the Derm.

I personally would like to give it a try if it will clear my back, because then I reckon it would clear my face for good and get rid of the body acne too. However, I would need to be sure that it will work on my body because I am afraid of the side-effects.