Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fink

Anyone else find it difficult...

Hi,

I'm 14 and had acne a few years now, just a few blackheads at first but now I have huge red spots all over my face. I was wondering if anyone else around my age finds it difficult to get hold of the treaments etc? I know dan's BP gel is very cheap but with that, the moisturiser, the cleanser, the shipping to the UK and the supplements (which I take occasionally) it all gets very expensive (The Queens head doesn't seem to like me). My mum does try to help but she'd never get the stuff off of the internet and the things she does get are always very ineffective. Anyway I was wondering how you manage with the whole lack of money.

Niall

Hi Niall,

I can understand your frustrations.

I think you can find an acceptable cleanser, bp, and moisturizer all in your area and not have to order off the internet. You are in the UK?

You should be able to find Spectro Jel cleanser, I believe OXY on-the-spot or else Panoxyl or Quinoderm, Neutrogena on-the-spot, or some other low percentage benzoyl peroxide product, and an acceptable moisturizer (you want one oil-free non-comedogenic).

As for effectiveness, any acne treatment program is going to take time, persistence and patience in order to work.

If you want to give the Regimen a shot, see what products you can find that are gentle, oil-free, non-comedogenic and not scrubby, and give it a dedicated 3 months to work. If you have inflammatory acne, bp is pretty good at getting it under control, but you gotta use it and you gotta use it correctly for it to work.

Also, as to how to afford these products with a lack of money. Well, do you get an allowance of some kind? You can use that to purchase your products, or ask your parents for some jobs around the house in order to earn a few extra bucks so you can purchase these things.

Good luck to you.

Hi Niall,

I can understand your frustrations.

I think you can find an acceptable cleanser, bp, and moisturizer all in your area and not have to order off the internet. You are in the UK?

You should be able to find Spectro Jel cleanser, I believe OXY on-the-spot or else Panoxyl or Quinoderm, Neutrogena on-the-spot, or some other low percentage benzoyl peroxide product, and an acceptable moisturizer (you want one oil-free non-comedogenic).

As for effectiveness, any acne treatment program is going to take time, persistence and patience in order to work.

If you want to give the Regimen a shot, see what products you can find that are gentle, oil-free, non-comedogenic and not scrubby, and give it a dedicated 3 months to work. If you have inflammatory acne, bp is pretty good at getting it under control, but you gotta use it and you gotta use it correctly for it to work.

Also, as to how to afford these products with a lack of money. Well, do you get an allowance of some kind? You can use  that to purchase your products, or ask your parents for some jobs around the house in order to earn a few extra bucks so you can purchase these things.

Good luck to you.

Hey,

I am in the UK too and although I am ok with the whole money thing, I know it's hard to get hold of good skincare products. I am 15 and have had acne for about a year and a half. IMO, the best place to get good quality products is the larger boots stores where you can meet a skincare consultant.

In the skincare area, boots stock all neutrogena products and the OXY on the spot products in addition to the Avene range which I am currently using. Why not got to your nearest boots (only the larger stores have a wide selection of skincare products and a consultant in store) and explain what product you are looking for, they deal with acne sufferers everyday so your problem won't be unfamiliar.

I personally recommend Estee Lauder daywear plus moisturiser. I am using this and i wub.gif it. It's oil-free and i believe non-comeodogenic and has SPF15 in it, you need to go to an Estee Lauder counter (these can be found at Boots, Debenhams and other large department stores) This is a great moisturiser and lasts me a couple of months but the only disadvantage is that it costs 26quid so you may need to save pocket money to get it but it is worth it if it helps you get acne-free skin. I am also using Avene moisturiser for sensitive/irritated skin which is great but contains mineral oil so if you want/need to go completely oil free I wouldn't recommend it but I believe Avene also do an oil-free, non comeodogenic moisturiser.

As for BP, it is available here in the UK but I can't remember where to get it from eusa_think.gif You may be able to get it from your doc, I dunno.

Good luck finding your skincare products. biggrin.gif

Regarding products, really look around.

Boots is great but don't forget superdrug and other shops like (strangely) wilko. Wilkinsons changes what it stocks and you can find stuff on the cheap at times. Boots is always doing sales and a boots card can come useful if you buy lots. Keep your eye open and you could find it quite easily.

I know how you feel, I'm 16 and I get 10 pounds a month for everything.

Good moisturiser is olive oil so could try that (do test patch first though).

It depends what your looking for really, what supplements do you use and what cleanser do you want?

Dan's regimen is good, but you can always substitute products if you can't find the exact same thing where you live.

I don't particularly like Neutrogena's BP, so I got Clean&Clear's instead. Oxy5 BP is good though (I used it before Clean&Clear). And for a moisturizer, you can technically use anything that you like.

Just remember, it doesn't have to be the exact same products as Dan lists.

Yeah you can get BP free of the doctor in the u.k if your under 18 , Thats where I used to get mine. Just get an appointment and they'll have a look at your skin and give you something.

Thanks, I've convinced my mum to help me pay for the BP gel and I'll definately look into getting it from my GP (moochy moochy) lol

Niall