Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am 20 years old living in London, I am using this medicine called Quinoderm Cream 5, I went to my doctor to get it. It says that it has 5% Benzoyl Peroxide, I wanted to know is it normal for the acne to get worse at first, I am in the middle of my second week. The first week I used it, it got rid of all the small spots and some big red ones as well, but on the second week I got a lot of acne on my forehead as well as some on my cheeks, they are really big, red and stubborn. I want to know if it is normal if this happens for the first 2 or 3 weeks. Also I am using Dove soap which has got a moisturiser in it, I used another soap a couple of days ago called Valderma Antibacterial Soap, the Valderma seems to clean my skin a lot better than Dove but it makes it really dry. Is it ok to use Dove soap while using Benzoyl Peroxide?

You should really check out the regimen board, bp is very drying and will make you break out at first, especially something as strong as 5%. The trick to avoid dryness is to really moisturize a lot, in the regimen its recomended to do this 10-15 minutes after applying bp.

Also you have to give bp like 3-4 weeks minimum to see any results, some people report 8 to 12 weeks before they stop breaking out. I think this must be because all people have different thincknesses of skin and different depths that bacteria might be residing at, you pretty much just have to wait, and if you want, check out the regimen it might work for you, it just takes time.