Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kipster

Post Dermabrasion

eusa_doh.gif Any input on actual Down-Time on Dermabrasion (I'm heading into my 4th Month, Still light pink, and neck line darker than face). Most people I work with don't notice, but when you look in the mirror it is quite prominate. So how are other post Dermabrasion patients healing up. I was wondering if any body is still breaking out especially around the neck region. Any suggestions (vitamins, diet, etc..) Thanks for your time.

I am 5.5 months post dermabrasion by Dr. Y, still red and much lighter than original.

Any other asians (I am type IV) suffering from prolonged redness and hypopigmentation from this procedure?

Yup, though a bit on the earlier part of the healing phase, I'm having pigmentary issues. Just had dermabrasion 2 weeks ago... wondering if hyperpigmentation can be detected within 2 weeks time?

My right forehead appears to have a dusty appearance (light grayish, brownish). I'm assuming this is what Cassandra meant by hyperpigmentation... and on my left cheek there is a similar shadowy look as well... is that also hyperpigmentation???

Gosh, I'm a bit flustered because I can't tell for myself if there is a real problem!

PLEASE ADVISE wacko.gif

D-GIRL

My hyperpigmentation (brownish color) faded a lot by itself in the last 2 months. I used Tri-Luma for a week here and and week there, but it irritated my skin and made it so much redder I stopped using it entirely.

Although you can show Dr. Y your pictures through the internet, nothing beats having a reliable local derm to help monitor your healing process in person. Try to find one if you haven't already.

Anyone else still has unacceptable level of redness or pigmentary issues after 9 months or a year?

eusa_doh.gif Any input on actual Down-Time on Dermabrasion (I'm heading into my 4th Month, Still light pink, and neck line darker than face).  Most people I work with don't notice, but when you look in the mirror it is quite prominate.  So how are other post Dermabrasion patients healing up.  I was wondering if any body is still breaking out especially around the neck region.  Any suggestions (vitamins, diet, etc..) Thanks for your time.

In my personal experience it takes approx six months to get back to where you are completely happy with your color and it is a gradual process. It may take shorter or longer for others. At about three months it is still slightly pink but really only noticeable to you.

However, in my view, you should not let the redness deter you. I saw a plastic surgeon yesterday for a minor injury I picked playing sport on the weekend and he was astounded at how much improvement I had received from my two derms with wirebrush - so now at the end of the healing, the redness while annoying, was worth it - you have to keep telling yourself this in the back of your mind when you are disheartened.

Also remember that the redness is to be expected and is just part of the healing. Thats why sword is so right about seeing a local derm as they can provide reassurance if necessary and will ensure one doesn't panic unnecessarily

Hopefulskin-

How much improvement are u seeing ? I know it is too early to tell. But what scars do u think are showing the most improvement? Is your skin texture the same or different?

Hey Agoff,

I feel the dermabrasion cleared most of my rolling scars and other mild to moderate scarring (which is pretty much what I had). The punch floated areas on my forehead turned out the best!

I'm very excited about my results so far in terms of scarring/surface but the strange discolorations are frustrating me a bit (I have medium brown Asian skin). Oh, the texture has always been pretty good, so now it looks even smoother. Just the coloring thing, ugh... always one thing after another, I guess.

I'm wondering if taking minocycline or prednisone is causing the hyperpigmentation to surface because before taking these pills, I didn't have any problems. But then again, it was sooo early on in my healing that it wouldn't make sense to base anything on that.

Anyone with ideas about these drugs causing hyperpigmentation??

D-GIRL

Hopefulskin-

How much improvement are u seeing ?  I know it is too early to tell. But what scars do u think are showing the most improvement?  Is your skin texture the same or different?

Congradulations on the improvement in your scarrring. I had a consult with Dr. Y for my daughter, I am going to schedule her punch floats/derm for the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays(if i can).

I know he told us that hyperpigmentation could be dealt with much easier than hypopigmentation. He said there is not much that could be done for hypo, but hyper could be fixed. It is really early and I'm sure you will improve on the hyperpigmentation problems. At least makeup will cover that , but makeup does not cover indented scarring.

i am asian (indian subcontinent) brown complexion, i am a little over 6 months post op and i still have some redness. my skin tone is not back perfectly the way it was before dermabrasion, and my face is a different type of oily now ... cant explain it, but seems like my pores are a little larger where the skin was dermabraded. overall complexion is alrite now, the color change is not as bad as it was in the earlier months.

just keep wearing the spf 45 and live ur life, there really is nothing u can do to speed it up. eat regular, exercise regular, and in a few months you will not realize that ur skin tone has come back.

Shade,

I remember you said your the redness stopped fading after a certain week, that's not really the case anymore, right? I'm hoping that you redness has faded some more over the last 2 months? Any hyperpigmentation?

Thanks,

Sword

Congradulations on the improvement in your scarrring.  I had a consult with Dr. Y for my daughter, I am going to schedule her punch floats/derm for the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays(if i can). 

I know he told us that hyperpigmentation could be dealt with much easier than hypopigmentation. He said there is not much that could be done for hypo, but hyper could be fixed.  It is really early and I'm sure you will improve on the hyperpigmentation problems.  At least makeup will cover that , but makeup does not cover indented scarring.

In my personal experience it takes approx six months to get back to where you are completely happy with your color and it is a gradual process. It may take shorter or longer for others. At about three months it is still slightly pink but really only noticeable to you.

However, in my view, you should not let the redness deter you.  I saw a plastic surgeon yesterday for a minor injury I picked playing sport on the weekend and he was astounded at how much improvement I had received from my two derms with wirebrush - so now at the end of the healing,  the redness while annoying, was worth it - you have to keep telling yourself this in the back of your mind when you are disheartened.

Also remember that the redness is to be expected and is just part of the healing. Thats why sword is so right about seeing a local derm as they can provide reassurance if necessary and will ensure one doesn't panic unnecessarily

I have to admit I do not frequent this site much anymore. Trying to close this chapter. My dermabrasion results have really been great. Are my scars perfect absolutely not. Are they very much improved YES. My local derm feels that I got around 70% to 80% improvement. I did load up on supplements during the healing process. August 15th will be 5 months. I have had my normal skin color with no redness since around the first of June. Without make-up you cannot see any reddess. So I guess I am very lucky.

You guys do need to be patient. and I wish everyone a healthy recovery.

k9lover

I have to admit I do not frequent this site much anymore. Trying to close this chapter.  My dermabrasion results have really been great.  Are my scars perfect absolutely not.  Are they very much improved YES.  My local derm feels that I got around 70% to 80% improvement.  I did load up on supplements during the healing process.  August 15th will be 5 months.  I have had my normal skin color with no redness since around the first of June. Without make-up you cannot see any reddess. So I guess I am very lucky. 

You guys do need to be patient. and I wish everyone a healthy recovery.

k9lover

I am post derma almost 9 months and believe me, my asian friends... it takes a little longer to heal. Remember Dr. Y said it would take a whole year to see the actual result. I have a samll demarcation line around my jaw but unoticable. I could hardly see any red around the 5th month.

Thanks for the PM and the update Sunblock. Hope you don't mind me unloading some more questions:

1. What is your original skin tone ( II or III or IV)?

2. How would you rate your current pigmentation, compare to pre-dermabrasion? Lighter, Darker or just different?

3. Is your current pigmentation the same as when you stopped being red (at 6 months), or is it better?

4. Does your new skin respond to the sun (i.e does it tan)?c

Many Thanks,

Sword

how about grayish/darker shadings?  did any of you experience that?  isn't that what true hyperpigmentation is and not the redness/pinkness which is the norm for recovery? 

HopefulSkin, Sorry I did not get back to you sooner. But like I said I am trying to move on. Anyway I am caucasian. My skin is not fair. I guess I kind of of have olive skintone. I am not fair and do not burn in the sun. Dermabrasion is a very serious procedure and can be hard on you mentally, but I have no reqrets. I wish you the best.

k9lover

how about grayish/darker shadings?  did any of you experience that?  isn't that what true hyperpigmentation is and not the redness/pinkness which is the norm for recovery? 

I experienced some hyperpigmentation. It might have gone away on its own, but I used the TriLuma as a precaution. It does irritate and inflame your skin so best to avoid it unless your derm thinks you need it. The prolonged redness is normal for Asian skin, the TriLuma just exacerbates it.

What's up SB? eusa_angel.gif

Can you hold off using the Tri Luma until you see you local derm?

I did use the Tri Luma for a week here and there, but I think my hyperpigmentation faded mostly by itself. I was told by Dr. Y and Cassandra to apply the Tri Luma when I had the hyperpigmentation, and I had it full face for about 2 weeks. I don't know if it contributed to my current full face hypopigmentation or not, but in retrospect I wish I waited for the blotchiness to go away on its own.

Remember you have darker asian skin, I would avoid using the bleaching agent unless your local derm tells you it is okay to. Also ask your local derm if he has experience with post dermabrasion patients before, if not try to find one.

Good luck.

One thing I don't understand is why Dr. Y prescribes TriLuma for dermabrasion patients to combat hyperpigmentation. TriLuma contains tretonoin and a corticosteroid which irritates and dries the skin. The key ingredient to improve hyperpigmentation is hydroquinone. I don't see why you can't just get a generic 4% hydroquinone for the hyperpigmentation instead of TriLuma. I had some mild hyperpigmentation after a needling dermabrasion and used 4% hydroquinone and it did the trick. The combination of ingredients in TriLuma makes it arguably more effective, but it doesn't really make sense for post dermabraded skin.

One thing I don't understand is why Dr. Y prescribes TriLuma for dermabrasion patients to combat hyperpigmentation.  TriLuma contains tretonoin and a corticosteroid which irritates and dries the skin. The key ingredient to improve hyperpigmentation is hydroquinone. I don't see why you can't just get a generic 4% hydroquinone for the hyperpigmentation instead of TriLuma.  I had some mild hyperpigmentation after a needling dermabrasion and used 4% hydroquinone and it did the trick.  The combination of ingredients in TriLuma makes it arguably more effective, but it doesn't really make sense for post dermabraded skin.

Just to answer some questions...

My skin is the same as before dermabrasion in color. It is a little but more oily it seems but maybe b/c it is summer but sad to say I have tanned a few times and I tanned just beautifully!! Of course tans fade and mine did perfectly in a normal way. I just have a slight discoloration where the dermabrasion stops at my jawline I geuss my face is lighter hard to say exactly why the line. I am looking towards having one more dermabrasion but not for a while. I am hopong Dr. Y will be around for a few more years!!