Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
philly #1

Where to go about my acne scarring

I have suffered moderate/severe acne from the ages of 13-16 but now im 20 and only get the occasional pimples on my temple areas. I have not any signficant breakouts in about 4 years which includes my face.

Although it has left some scarring on my cheeks and chin area, this has bothered me so much in recent years. The scars are by no means deep like ice picket marks, infact most of the scarring is somewhat light although it has left red marks, which bothers me even more.

I have heard that red marks go away after awhile but i havent had any real acne on my cheeks for 4 years, yet the red marks remain from over 5 years ago when the breakouts occurred, so im loosing hope that they will ever dissapear.

I do have about 5 dark red/purple marks, ive heard marks this color are the ones that leave scarring, so i know these marks probably wont go away unless some surgical procedure occurrs.

I want to get surgerical procedure done but i dont know how about going through this, should i mention it to my general practioner or derm and ask he refers me to someone? I asked my derm about the getting something done since infact he does surgical procedures for acne scarring but he refused stating that the scarring i have is not severe and should be left alone, but even with this it still bothers me.

Given i provided the kind of scarring/marks i have, what sort of surgical procedure would be appropriate for me. Should i get this type of procedure done in a regular hospital or a center for this type of surgical procedure is sufficient.

Please reply with your comments

I have suffered moderate/severe acne from the ages of 13-16 but now im 20 and only get the occasional pimples on my temple areas. I have not any signficant breakouts in about 4 years which includes my face.

Although it has left some scarring on my cheeks and chin area, this has bothered me so much in recent years. The scars are by no means deep like ice picket marks, infact most of the scarring is somewhat light although it has left red marks, which bothers me even more.

I have heard that red marks go away after awhile but i havent had any real acne on my cheeks for 4 years, yet the red marks remain from over 5 years ago when the breakouts occurred, so im loosing hope that they will ever dissapear.

I do have about 5 dark red/purple marks, ive heard marks this color are the ones that leave scarring, so i know these marks probably wont go away unless some surgical procedure occurrs.

I want to get surgerical procedure done but i dont know how about going through this, should i mention it to my general practioner or derm and ask he refers me to someone? I asked my derm about the getting something done since infact he does surgical procedures for acne scarring but he refused stating that the scarring i have is not severe and should be left alone, but even with this it still bothers me.

Given i provided the kind of scarring/marks i have, what sort of surgical procedure would be appropriate for me. Should i get this type of procedure done in a regular hospital or a center for this type of surgical procedure is sufficient.

Hi Philly, I agree, your scars do not seem very deep, so I bet you do not have to have any sort of invasive surgical procedure to get rid of them. Especially for the red/purple spots, I really recommend a peel. Your results won't be immediate, but after a couple months you should see definite fading and many will completely disappear. Discolored spots are rarely deep, but instead reside on the surface layers of skin. Glycolic acid peels in 30% or lower (no lower than 10%) are generally very safe and effective, but start slowly and follow all directions carefully. There are several good "peel companies" online that are reputible and very responsive to any questions you may have, and their web sites contain a lot of information about peels in general.

quote=philly #1,Jul 21 2005, 02:00 PM]