Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
manolis_04

Any1 on SAW PALMETTO?

Hello everyone, I have been researching saw palmetto for a while and have finally decided to take it after giving up on bp & Yasmin. I have realized that most people do not update us on this herbal supplement & because I find acne.org so useful I have decided to spend some time doing so. I will give you guys updates when I can.

-BP works for me after continued use - but I don't like the way it makes my skin feel (dry & pasty)

-I began taking Yasmin regularly in Nov 2009 for my hormonal acne, about six months later, I got laser hair removal on my face - this is when a million red bumps appeared over my moderate acne & then the cysts came...I continued taking Yasmin hoping it would help with the recent aggravation of my skin from the laser, but alas, my skin remained in horrible condition without the bp - until a month ago - when I stopped using Yasmin, just to see. The cysts immidiately disappeared and I was left with the same red bumps all over my cheeks until last week when I started taking 1 GNC Triple Strength Fish Oil daily, 2 160mg of GNC Saw Palmetto daily *For girls with hormonal acne I have read that more people have had positive experiences with GNC brand Saw Palmetto*, and using Thayers Lavendar Witch Hazel toner. I also have been eating less sugar & more vegetables & fruits & moderately exercising. I can't say for sure that the saw palmetto itself is making a difference because I have recently made many changes.

I feel amazing now that I am off the bc & bp and regulating my hormones more naturally, although I do think this path will take much longer than the "instant" (or not) gratification of topical gels & spironalactone type pills.

The rundown:

Week 1: 2 160mg GNC brand capsules a day & 1 GNC fish oil pill a day, lavendar & witch hazel toner, & healthy lifestyle, my bumpy acne is flattening & inactive; however, I am feeling irregular & fast heart beats at night...may be the saw palmetto...if it persists I will take 1 160 saw palmetto daily & see what happens

Good luck everybody.

Update: I had to stop taking saw palmetto pills because my heart was pounding out of control & that bothered me. This happened immediately after taking a pill so if you don't feel it then it may not be there. I think this is a rare reaction to saw palmetto & I wouldn't not recommend someone trying it. Didn't bother me in any other way. In the short time I was taking it I did notice that my acne got moderately better. It also made my boobs perky. Too bad.

though i am a girl, i will add that my brothers gf suggested i try taking saw palmetto AND beta sitosterol together. the saw palmetto acts like a boost i guess. thats how she cleared her face and its working well for me too. ive been taking flaxseed oil pills too, which have been adding enough oil so that i can use benzoyl peroxide on it. and my cholesterol is amazing, really high HDL and super low triglycerides. anyway i started taking one pill twice a day for each and then just increases ever week or two untill i only have like one pimple at a time

Any updates on SP?

I'm interested in trying something that won't give me a bunch of other side effects. This sounds promising.

Guest Leajer424

it's not so easy to find out "why" you have acne. accutane is the only thing thats ever worked for me. apparently there is a hormonal component to mine b/c i break out when i ovulate, but bc pills and spiro didn't work for me.

my break outs don't seem to be dependent on anything I do or don't do...they just seem to be independent.--except if i try to use a new makeup or topical and it obviously breaks me out.

Took SP for a month, but only 160 mg/day and it didn't have any effect at all on my acne. If B5 doesn't work out, maybe I'll try higher doses of SP.

Saw Palmetto works mainly by binding to androgen receptors in a similar fashion as spiro.. however when taking it orally in a broken damaged body -- the effects will usually be short lived as you body will just up-regulate its androgen receptors (bad news) and make things worse. Topical application will be far/far/far/far more effective.

Edited by moonbase

Saw Palmetto works mainly by binding to androgen receptors in a similar fashion as spiro.. however when taking it orally in a broken damaged body -- the effects will usually be short lived as you body will just up-regulate its androgen receptors (bad news) and make things worse. Topical application will be far/far/far/far more effective.

No offense but where/how did you discover this? I just started taking SP again (wish I'd seen this post first now lol), only today in fact. I have PCOS which would qualify as having a 'broken damaged' body so you think I should avoid the SP? Could you provide any more info?