Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JimH

New Adult Beginning

I'm one week into the Regimen and so far... pretty good... have a few general questions though...

1. I have mild acne... none on the forehead, for example... should I still use the bp all over the face... or just treat the trouble areas?

2. I'm using the Nutragena oil-free spf15 lotion during the day... for night, any issue using a non spf15 lotion, since it has a little suntan lotion smell to it?

3. Any recommendations for a oil-free "cover-up" cream to spot treat the red spots... stuff for a guy that doesn't look like make-up?

4. The less than 10 seconds face wash with Basis bar seems rather short... does it really remove the excess dirt, etc. in such a short time?

5. In the morning, I shower ... do my 10 second face wash (using Basis bar), then get out and lather up with Basis to shave - is this ok or should I avoid the washing in the shower step?

6. Occasionally I've used tweezers to eliminate infected hair folicles... am assuming that's not a very wise idea any more... right?

7. Any other suggestions for an old guy to do...or be aware of?

Thanks,

Jim

1. Apply to areas where you get acne in only!

2. Doesn't matter, use the same lotion to save money!

3. I think you'll need to use a makeup, post in the makeup thread

4. I rub each area for 10 seconds, cheek bones 10, nose 10, chin 10, etc.

5. I would just do it before shaving to avoid futher irration

6. Let the hair folicules dissappear on their own.

7. An old guy eh? As long as your human , we all have it the same.

1. I have mild acne... none on the forehead, for example... should I still use the bp all over the face... or just treat the trouble areas?

-If you NEVER have problems with acne in these places then,..No, just treat the troubled areas.

2. I'm using the Nutragena oil-free spf15 lotion during the day... for night, any issue using a non spf15 lotion, since it has a little suntan lotion smell to it?

-You do not need spf at night, unless your sleeping in a tanning bed redface.gif

3. Any recommendations for a oil-free "cover-up" cream to spot treat the red spots... stuff for a guy that doesn't look like make-up?

-I hate to break it to you, but I dont know how anything can,"Not" look like make up if you can see it. For red marks look into Acid peels and for spot treatment look into Neosporin.

4. The less than 10 seconds face wash with Basis bar seems rather short... does it really remove the excess dirt, etc. in such a short time?

-Really depends on what your activities have been for the day. Working out in the oil feilds and covered in crude oil, perhaps you better wash a little longer.

Just sitting at a desk all day, 10-15 seconds is more than long enough.

5. In the morning, I shower ... do my 10 second face wash (using Basis bar), then get out and lather up with Basis to shave - is this ok or should I avoid the washing in the shower step?

-I think this is a personal opinion, I would not wash in the shower, get the hair wet with warm water however to soften the hair.

There really is no right or wrong to this particular situation, only convienience.

6. Occasionally I've used tweezers to eliminate infected hair folicles... am assuming that's not a very wise idea any more... right?

-Assuming that the tweezers have been thouroughly disinfected for one, and no, any unneccessary agravation to the skin is probly not a good idea.

But thenagain, if its working with positive results for you than why not?

-Yes, Take in all of the information that this forum provides.

Its invaluble.

-If you NEVER have problems with acne in these places then,..No, just treat the troubled areas.

-You do not need spf at night, unless your sleeping in a tanning bed redface.gif

-I hate to break it to you, but I dont know how anything can,"Not" look like make up if you can see it.  For red marks look into Acid peels and for spot treatment look into Neosporin.

-Really depends on what your activities have been for the day. Working out in the oil feilds and covered in crude oil, perhaps you better wash a little longer.

Just sitting at a desk all day, 10-15 seconds is more than long enough.

-I think this is a personal opinion, I would not wash in the shower, get the hair wet with warm water however to soften the hair.

There really is no right or wrong to this particular situation, only convienience.

-Assuming that the tweezers have been thouroughly disinfected for one, and no, any unneccessary agravation to the skin is probly not a good idea.

But thenagain, if its working with positive results for you than why not?

-Yes, Take in all of the information that this forum provides.

Its invaluble.

Thank you to the members for their quick response... very helpful...

I've finished my first week and moving slowly with the bp - just received Dan's BP in the mail... started with the Nutrogena OTS stuff... haven't had any clumping yet, but not using that much.

Only a couple new eruptions and it nearly killed me to not pick them...one was a white head just above my lip... but it went down by itself within 24 hours...

I have a little itching still, especially on my neck and chin area...

am a little nervous to add much more bp because of potential redness, but know I need to keep moving forward.

Anyway, great forum... great service, Dan

THanks

I'm glad you're having success w/ the regimen so far. As far as covering the spots goes, Eurecin makes a moisturizer they call a redness reducer. I know it sounds ridiculous, like pouring makeup all over the face, but it really blends much better than that and if used lightly is not at all noticeable. The thing I try to remember about that stuff is that it is to reduce the visibility of the marks, not eliminate them altogether. As long as you use it sparingly and aren't under the illusion it's going to mask things completely it should be fine.

10 seconds is plenty, if not more than enough. It probably takes me 8 or less to wash my face.

Keep in mind, the idea with washing your face is to remove the EXCESS oil from your skin. If you wash too much, you will remove too much of the oil from your skin. Yes, your skin does actually need some oil. If you were to get rid of it all, it would dry out your skin -- your body would then see this, and produce MORE oil. Not to mention the irritation you cause by rubbing.

Also, keep in mind dirt does not cause acne. Again, you are NOT trying to remove everything from your face. Just the excess oil!

Good luck, you're simply too old to have to put up with acne dude, by now you should have some get-out-of-acne-free card. lol.gifrazz.gifwink.gif

I have a little itching still, especially on my neck and chin area...

am a little nervous to add much more bp because of potential redness, but know I need to keep moving forward.

THanks

Good luck, you're simply too old to have to put up with acne dude, by now you should have some get-out-of-acne-free card.

I can not begin to tell you how many times I've thought this to be true...

Hang in there Jim. Just FYI, week 2 was my BEST week on the regimen, three and four were way worse, but I'm hoping 5 and 6 will be fantastic (because what the hell else can I do!) Wishing you lots of luck.

So... now here's the situation... first week great... followed regimen closely... used Nutrogena OTS awaiting Dan's BP. The last two days I've used Dan's BP, and today my upper cheeks are slightly burned.

Did I use too much BP? Is the transition between OTS and Dan's the issue?

And, do I lay off BP for a couple of days to let the redness subside?

Or... what else?

Help!

By the way... no new breakouts... that's the good news.

Jim

I'm not sure how much BP you are currently using, but if you were using two fingers worth of On the Spot, you want to use only 1 finger of dan's gel. Good luck!

Was only using about 1/2 finger of OTS... and then used about 2/3 finger of Dan's -

first day and night... cut back to 1/2 finger of Dan's this morning due to redness.

Was only using about 1/2 finger of OTS... and then used about 2/3 finger of Dan's -

first day and night... cut back to 1/2 finger of Dan's this morning due to redness.

Thanks Fifty50... is the slight reddening a one day... two day... how long usually? and does that spot redness touch up stuff work in a situation like this?

Sorry to be a pest, but this forum has really given my specific help... for example, the relationship between OTS and Dan's - didn't have a clue Dan's was that much stronger.

Thanks Fifty50... is the slight reddening a one day... two day... how long usually? and does that spot redness touch up stuff work in a situation like this?

Sorry to be a pest, but this forum has really given my specific help... for example, the relationship between OTS and Dan's - didn't have a clue Dan's was that much stronger.

hey there... man in 50s..whatsup... its never to late to live!! & as that old crooner frank sinatra sang, " you can achieve the impossible when ur young at heart"

good luck 2 U and hope everything works out biggrin.gifcool.gif

hey there... man in 50s..whatsup... its never to late to live!! & as that old crooner frank sinatra sang, " you can achieve the impossible when ur young at heart"

good luck 2 U and hope everything works out  biggrin.gif  cool.gif

Another question... I can deal with some redness and dryness for a while... especially since I deserve it for putting too much of Dan's bp on initially... what can I do for the itching, though... will more moisterizer help? Is there anything else to add specifically to reduce the itching?

Just a note... I bought some Eucerin Redness Relief... in the tube... to deal with my reddened upper cheeks and temples... it worked very well... a little bit goes alongways... I did my regimen... though using minimal and focused OTS right now and then after my moisterizer had dried somewhat applied the Eucerin over the moisterizer on the red areas... it blended right in and made me look less like a tomato!

Will hit the two week mark in a couple of days and then plan to move to the blog area.

Well... I've finished two weeks and thought I'd give an update before I move to the blog area... I'll post there under the Old Man Jim name and at least do weekly updates so you can follow.

I started with mild acne, but still irritating since I'm in my 50's. I've never done anything special before ...had been using regular mild soap and Nutrogena moisturizer.

Now am using the Nutrogena OTS... put too much of Dan's bp on day 7 and slightly burned my upper cheeks... so have gone back to the OTS for a while... I'm not putting very much of it on either... about a half fingers worth mainly on cheeks, chin and neck (forhead is clear)

Am still using the Nutrogena moisturizer... the pf15 during the day and the regular sensitive skin one at night (my wife doesn't like that suntan smell at night!)

Am washing and shaving with the Basis bar and have found the Eucerin Redness Relief bar helpful in those red spots.. or slightly burned areas.

I'm following the regimen pretty well... let face dry at least 10-15 minutes before the OTS bp and then another 10-15 before moisturizer... since I'm putting so little OTS on ... the 10-15 break may not be all that necessary, but still doing it.

And the biggest thing I've done which has helped has been to NOT pick at my face... which is a hard habit to break.

My face is better now than two weeks ago... I've had a couple small little bumps occur but nothing too big or bad... and they've gone away within a day or so.

So that's the report... thanks to everyone who has kindly responded and keep in touch in blogland.

Jim