Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Tempest

funny, I don't think it would bother me at all if I were blind.....especially if I had been blind from birth and didn't know what people really looked like....can you just imagin, to never have seen ANYTHING in your whole life...WOW!!! I can't.

funny, I don't think it would bother me at all if I were blind.....especially if I had been blind from birth and didn't know what people really looked like....can you just imagin, to never have seen ANYTHING in your whole life...WOW!!! I can't.

u wouldl be able to feel their faces and u would notice very shortly that u have bumps and they dont

Don't see what's funny about the title...question.gif Guess it depends on the mood you're in when reading it.

Personally, I think (because I cannot truly know) that it would not bother me as it does now if I were blind, especially if it were from birth.

Baby blue - I liked your post, and thank you for reminding us to be grateful for what we have. I truly am sorry he will not experience many things that involve the ability to see. I feel sad about that... but instead, I should first ask how he takes it? What are his thoughts on his blindness? Some people accept things very well, and do not want others feeling sorry for them.

Having said that, I do not doubt that he will experience something unique with his other available senses that we ourselves may not. As individuals, we each live both similar and unique experiences, and I feel they allow us to learn from one another and hopefully bring us closer in the end.

Li B.

Don't see what's funny about the title...question.gif  Guess it depends on the mood you're in when reading it.

Personally, I think (because I cannot truly know) that it would not bother me as it does now if I were blind, especially if it were from birth.

Baby blue - I liked your post, and thank you for reminding us to be grateful for what we have.  I truly am sorry he will not experience many things that involve the ability to see.  I feel sad about that... but instead, I should first ask how he takes it?  What are his thoughts on his blindness?  Some people accept things very well, and do not want others feeling sorry for them.

Having said that, I do not doubt that he will experience something unique with his other available senses that we ourselves may not.  As individuals, we each live both similar and unique experiences, and I feel they allow us to learn from one another and hopefully bring us closer in the end.

Li B.

Thanks for the getting it!!!  As for my nephew, I don't think he understands all he is missing yet, but he will.  He still can't read brail and has a hard time with simple tasks.  He will get frustrated and scream and holler.  It is so sad.  Last summer he wanted to walk alone to the front door of a resturant we were at and he tripped on the curb and broke his arm.  Sometimes I will stand by him and not say a word and he will stand there like he is looking at me, but he won't say a word and go on about his business.  When he does hear my voice, he grabs my face and puts his hands all over it to see if it is me.

His mom, my sister, says she is greatful he can't see kids making fun of him.  He wants to learn to ride a bike sooo bad.  They are looking into some bikes for two people that he can ride, but someone else will have to steer.  They still haven't told him he will never drive a car.

It is funny though, because all the people I know with special needs children are usually so philosophical.  Not many of them are angry or even a little bitter about the situation.  They never complain and never ask why.  I feel so selfish sometimes when I look at his situation and all he has to overcome compared to my situation.  It can really put things into perspective.  Thanks for listening (or reading) this little speech.

I have always thought to myself the worst thing you could ever be would be blind. I mean, what a scary world to live in. It makes acne seem like nothing. Saying that, if i was blind i dont think i would give a damn if i had acne!

Baby blue - thanks for replying. I once again enjoyed your post, and learning more about your nephew.

It will definitely be a challenge for him, and I hope it only makes him stronger.

I think at times it can be easier when born that way (rather than having the ability and then losing it), but still, I think he and others must somehow still feel that it is not natural, but this is not to say they are not 'normal'.

I suppose we all have personal weaknesses and struggles that make us different. They can be either physical, emotional, mental, spiritual - even all four - things we lack that can at times hinder us, but sometimes, do not mean we will be any less able. Sometimes I look at people who are seen as less fortunate, and the things they accomplish are often remarkable, and I also feel selfish at times and even guilty for the things I complain about and for seeming ungrateful.

I truly hope only the best for him. eusa_angel.gif

leopard - I remember I used to wonder what would be worse if I was given a choice, being deaf or blind. I felt being blind would be most difficult, as I would not feel in control or as confident in protecting myself from potential harm. It would be difficult not to be independent and observant in the same way I am presently.

In a way, it must be like living in a dark world.

At the same time, being deaf would be living in a silent world. There can be beauty in silence, but I believe sounds often give life to this world. So do colors, but somehow, for example, when I watch a movie, it often reminds me how important music is. It adds to the mood intended in the movie. It plays such an important part. In general, music is also universal. Nature even provides us with its own music, through birds chirping, water flowing, rain falling...

it's like a beautiful painting. It is no less beautiful, but it is not alive in the same way because it lacks sound.

I think I would be more afraid if I suddenly became blind, but I would be saddened if I could no longer hear, especially because I love music.

I still believe, however, that both have different available ways to manage.

You must have the kindest heart, searching for the solution! I am so frustrated by mean spirited people - not necessarily at this site, but in life. My parents were really awesome because they raised my sisters and I to love and be thankful for everything we had. We were hippies of sorts. My mother is a child psychologist and she thinks everyone needs love. We grew up in a church that accepted everyone - I MEAN EVERYONE! She would take us to homeless shelters to volunteer. She gave our family car away to a family she had help bring over from Laos. After seeing what those people went through; you either become cynical or you become thankful. I choose to be thankful. Don't get me wrong, I have my pitty parties at times, but then I feel guilty. And I won't even go into all the surgeries I have had to correct a birth defect I had that left me, at one time, unable to walk. I went through months of pt to learn to walk again. Now I only have these terrific scars on my legs. smile.gif Anyway, you are too great!!! And I bet that everyone you know absolutely thinks you are such a beautiful person because you seem to have a heart of gold. I wish I came across more people like you in life.

Baby blue... I was truly touched by your post.

I relate to you in terms of feeling frustrated by mean-spirited people. It is very unpleasant, and it is difficult for me not to be affected. Another thing I do not like is hypocrisy, and I sometimes involve myself when maybe I shouldn't to try to defend someone, or at times, when I do not agree with something, I feel the need to stand for my beliefs. I am learning that there are appropriate times to do this. Qualities that are so important to me are sincerity and humility.

Your parents sound so wonderful! What a beautiful attitude...

I don't have the right words to express how it made me feel...

I remember one day, I was waiting for the bus. It had been raining quite heavily but had calmed down and was pretty much just sprinkling. A person with an umbrella was walking in my direction, and when they reached me, said "take my umbrella". I was somewhat surprised, and responded with "no, no, it's yours, it's alright". The person (young woman) said "I have others at home, and by the way, my car is just around the corner", and walked off, leaving me with her umbrella. I know for some, this may seem like nothing, or for some, it may even seem odd or questionable, but it touched me deeply. After a few seconds, I yelled "thank you!", and watched this stranger walk away, covering her head with her hood, and wondered if her car was in fact right around the corner. I will never forget her, and because of it, the umbrella remains dear to me. It is even a little broken, but I don't want to give it up, because it represents a small act of love to me.

I am the first to say, I am far from perfect. I have many faults I need and want to work through to improve upon myself, and find more balance and peace. It is hard sometimes, because certain people are used to me being a certain way, and when I speak out, it is like a shock and though I am still respectful in my choice of words, I feel I am wrong. So it's a struggle, not to hold in my thoughts and feelings, and not to let people walk over me, and not to be too direct. Sometimes I just want to be free to be me, and I wish more people would realize that a person is made up of more than one part. Sometimes I worry and think too much about what others will feel and think.

What the young woman did was the type of thing I could have done myself.

Her generous gesture was so special.

I really really appreciate you seeing something good in me and telling me.

I believe, when we think something positive about someone, it is important to say it.

I have a project I wish I could take on one day to offer assistance to those who are in serious need of help in other countries, and also right at home, but I don't feel I have the means just yet. I know that to me, making a difference is important.

Today I am listening to the Live8 concert on the radio. Have you heard of it? It is to help end poverty in Africa. There are many concerts that have been created to raise money for various causes, but for some reason, this one touches me. I think it's such a great idea and is so important, and it is reminding me how music, which I love, can be used for such a great purpose, and just how people can come together.

I just want to say thank you again for your kindness. It really warmed my heart, and meant a lot.

May I ask where you are from?

searchingforthesolution,

I am soooooo glad that you posted again and I really cannot believe how much we are alike. Your last post especially was like reading something I would have written. So great to know there is someone else like me out there. To answer your question, I am from Oklahoma. How about you? Where are you from?

Yes, I have been watching Live 8 on MTV and MTV2 and I think it is wonderful that these issues are being brought to our attention. I am just like you in that I have a need to go help people. I want to first go to places in America and help there; then I want to go abroad too. Even the poorest American's have the ability to get more help than anyone in other countries. I wanted to go to medical school; just so I could use my education to set up free clinics and help give medicine to those who cannot afford to see a dr. However, I don't think med. school is for me. So, I plan to go to Physician Associate school.

What an experience with the umbrella! I believe that what goes around comes around. That is not why I do the things I do, but when someone does something nice to me or someone else; then I always think - oh, something wonderful will happen to them. Of course, my flaw is that the opposite is true. When someone is mean, I think the meaness will come back to them.

I am with you on the worrying about hurting people. I stay up at night going over conversations some times when I think I might have said something wrong or offensive. If I know the person well enough; I will call and tell them that I feel like I might have flubbed a conversation. Most of the time, if not all the time; my friends will laugh and say I worry too much. I just would hate to think I hurt someone. I hate to be hurt so why would I want someone else to hurt.

I too think music is so special. It is so many emotions in one. I think musicans are special becuase they have to feel what they play; so they are usually more sensitive people. My dad played the guitar and he loved music. He used to play folk songs for my siblings and I in the evening. It was so much fun! He got me hooked on 60's and 70's music. I also appreciate some of what is coming out today. Not all, though.

You are so real and honest and know yourself so well. That is so admirable. Have you ever thought of going into the psychology field because you have the helping heart that all good therapists have. I bet you would be really good.

Thanks again for posting again. I hope to hear from you soon smile.gif

oh, I forgot - I just watched Hotel Rwanda. I think you would be interested in it. I cried and cried, but I only thought I knew the (true) story.

bluelight, that's an interesting way to look at it!

Baby Blue - :)

When I read your previous post, I also seemed to find a part of me within it.

I'm from Canada.

I was wondering, have you seen the movie Patch Adams? It is one of my favorites, and when I read about your interest of opening free clinics (wonderful idea!!!), it reminded me of it. If you haven't seen it, I would suggest you try when you get a chance. It has so many universal emotions and subject matters, I feel, and that is why I love it so much. If you have seen it, did you enjoy it?

oh, I forgot - I just watched Hotel Rwanda. I think you would be interested in it. I cried and cried, but I only thought I knew the (true) story.

You wouldnt know what you looked like though or what other 'normal' people looked like. You could feel the acne though and acne can be quite tender and painful at times, so its an odd situation

just imagine how much we all study and are constantly looking at our faces...that would drive me mad not to be able to see my face and have others look at it

just imagine how much we all study and are constantly looking at our faces...that would drive me mad not to be able to see my face and have others look at it

Hi baby blue!

Wow, what a surprise to learn that you had studied in Early Childhood Education!

At the college I went to, the two programs shared a connection in a way, though they were seperate.

I really hope the Physician's Associate degree will work out for you and that you will enjoy it. How many years of studying would it be?

I'm sorry that Patch Adams was sad for you, but I understand. The first time I ever saw it was at the movie theatre, and I was trying to hold it in but wanted to bawl, and I don't think I was alone. The same part still makes my heart ache.

I will try to watch Hotel Rwanda sometime soon, and will let you know my thoughts on it. I am not extremely knowledgeable about the situation, but somehow, it rings a bell. It sounds sad, but very interesting and important.

Don't worry about being too 'political' or what-not. You are simply expressing yourself, and you are right in saying we are lucky. We really are, and have to remember to be thankful for what we have. It is easy to think of the negative, and allow ourselves to soak in our sorrow but we have many things to be grateful for.

I hope you're doing well! eusa_angel.gif