Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Heynow

Accutane dosage

Hey I just started accutane 23 days ago. Noticable difference so far is that my skin is no longer oily!! I'm still breaking out as expected. cry.gif My derm seems to think that 40 mg the whole 5 months on accutane will be "more than enough for me." I disagree. I have moderate acne,5-7 cysts and tons of brown spots. I weigh 115-120 pounds. DO you think the dosage my derm gave me is right?!

Guest TylerD

40 mg is a good dosage. Alot of ppl take 60 or 80 because they get boosted up. But i know alot of ppl that have stayed on 40 mg the entire treatment and had excellent results. And they had really bad acne. So just stay with this for the next few months and if you are still unhappy with the results then ask the doc to up your dosage.

The consensus among dermatologists is that optimal remission of acne is best ensured with a cumulative course dosage of about 120-125mg/kg. You weigh 52kg and 40mg/day over 5 months is 6000mg, so in your case that's a cumulative course dosage of 115mg/kg; just a little shy of the ideal, but close enough. 1-2 weeks more than what your derm suggests would be the perfect course, but......... derms know best. wink.gif

Guest TylerD

I didnt understand any of that but ya thats probably right lol biggrin.gif

umm... i have leik super little amount of acne... i only get cysts leik one or two a month... but i have tried 3 other things two topical then diane 35..

so i juss started day 2... 50 mg... i am only 50kg... im scared that is way too high...

I believe you are prescribed mg per kg

so if u weight 50kgs you will be presciebed 50mgs a day or somewhere in that ballpark.