Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
balloonhead

Definitive UK Cleanser

We need a thread that lets people discuss the best ever UK cleanser they have bought. I'm on a mission to find the best possible one for my skin - then i can concentrate on other factors that might be causing acne

I use Avene soapless gel cleanser. It is expensive, yes, but easily the best i have ever used. You can buy it in boots, but like i said, its about £7.99 where i live. Im also a fan of good 'ol johnsosns baby soap!

Ok thanks very much thats a start. Could you please say what is good and bad about your chosen product. (I.e. drying? gentle? antibacterial? prevents breakouts?)

i dont know why we didnt think of this before! wicked idea balloonhead.

ok, im using at the moment burts bees tomato soap.

Pros - cleans skin beatifully, makes skin feel soft and clean, smells wonderful! razz.gif

Cons - very drying, doesnt do much by itself

eusa_angel.gif

i'll put in my input put i don't think i have really found a cleanser that i have thought - wow!

C&C advantage daily treatment cleanser (2%SA)

Pros - does great job at preventing pimples everywhere

Cons - WAY TOO DRYING!! I only use it once a day and that is still too much.

I really want to find a cleanser with the benefits of 2%SA but at the same time being gentle.

From my experience, the cleanser you describe that has the "wow" factor is non-existent. I have oily skin, but my skin gets increddibly dry after I use cleansers. I have finally stopped using cleansers and just steam my face after work at night and a quick splash of water in the morning and so far so good. My spots heal much faster, It saves a lot of time in the morning and my skin isnt that dry at all which means I dont have to bother with moisturiser.

surely you need to remove the build up of dead skin cells and p.acnes bacteria somehow? Maybe just washing once a day or once every 2 days

Maybe. But I'm starting to increasingly think that my acne wouldnt have been as bad as it was if I didnt interfere with it and start putting crap on my face sad.gif

I think when it comes down to it, this approach can work for those who believe diet/stress affect their acne and then change their suuroundings apropriately so the main cause is resolved and ergo external cleansing is not necessary.

For hormonal acne this approach isn't going to work unless you focus on solving this problem which is difficult and near impossible for men.

What causes your acne rockdamike? (I have the silliest urge to put right after your name)

To be honest, I'm not really sure what causes my acne. All I know is that I never used to have it this bad, but when I starting using face washes, taking antibiotics, applying topical gels (i.e. Isotrex) that my condition has gotten considerably worse. My older brother has the same skin type as me (oily skin), but I only remember him having mild acne at the age of 16 and now he is 100% clear without using any products (now 18). Isn't it possible that by using these cleansing products on our skin that we are wiping out the "good bacteria" along with the bad, which is making our condition worse. I mean, I was just watching the news today and apparantly someone has produced an anti-bacterial hand-wash product designed to eliminate the MRSA bug in hospitals. And even health professionals were against using this product as it was feared to potentially lower immunity and could lead to the production of super-bugs. What do you think?

u have a decent theory about the good and bad bacteria...but i still recommend washing at least once a day - even if its just with a gentle non antibacterial cleanser.

I think what it comes down to is how severe your acne was originally. If it was originally quite mild and you buggered it up using topicals then o cors your acne will improve with the elimination of the products.

But if your acne was originally moderate to severe such a laid back approach is not viable.

I think the biggest problem with kids my age is they think it is worse than it is and so use the strongest topicals and so as a result bugger it up.

And because it constantly gets worse they use more and more harsh products resulting in moderate acne (or worse) which was only 3 to 4 spots to begin with - really very mild.

Anyway back to the topic on hand...

Baby cleanser using cotton pads to wipe on NO WATER INVOLVED

Pros: Feels so good, moisturises so don't have to spend out on moisturiser, very gentle, soothing, removes make up effectively, even cheapo asda brands work well as expensive

Cons: when sweat you feel weird, not really fighting acne, possibly comedogenic (sp?), can be gloopy and difficult for first time users

Ok thanks very much thats a start. Could you please say what is good and bad about your chosen product. (I.e. drying? gentle? antibacterial? prevents breakouts?)

just get a nice non irritant cleanser like cetaphil or olay daily cleanser. they are the two best i can recommend. The olay if a lot cheaper then cetaphil.

surely you need to remove the build up of dead skin cells and p.acnes bacteria somehow? Maybe just washing once a day or once every 2 days

I use Avene soapless gel cleanser. It is expensive, yes, but easily the best i have ever used. You can buy it in boots, but like i said, its about £7.99 where i live. Im also a fan of good 'ol johnsosns baby soap!

hey good to see someone else uses this stuff! I forgot about the fragrance thing though- i personally like it, but i guess it may be irratant to some.

Nivea cleansing milk

Pros - Very very very gentle, non drying + moisturises.

Cons - Doesn't kill bacteria - but that's what bp is for!

Given that most people with acne will be using another product that makes their skin sensitive (e.g. Roaccutane, Differin, Retin-A, Benzoyl Peroxide), the best thing to use is something very gentle, so I use Johnson & Johnson Extra Mild Facial Wash (Boots sell it BTW), which is unperfuned, PH neutral and very mild.

hope this helps

Overall, i would rate this cleanser to most people unless you have really dry skin. When i finish my current bottle of it then i might try spectro jel as that contains no fragrance or any unnessasary ingrediants and is rated highly by alot of members on this board.

Overall, i would rate this cleanser to most people unless you have really dry skin. When i finish my current bottle of it then i might try spectro jel as that contains no fragrance or any unnessasary ingrediants and is rated highly by alot of members on this board.

I've not found anywhere to get this in the UK, nor from an online place that will ship to the UK, I think Spectrogel is a Canadian product. If you find somewhere selling it, though, let me know!

Thanks

Hey everyone just thought id update on the Johnssons baby soap- i had to throw it out because it irritated me sooo much! My eyes would be burning and my nose would feel like it was on fire after using it!

Ive now switched to dove's sensitive moisturising and exfoliating soap bar. Its really good as its not like normal soaps witch dry you out, this one is creamy and leaves your skin soft afetrwards!

ive been using this clean and clear for the past week, does exactly what it says on the tin, its actually quite amazing:

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details....oductid=1046815

i use it morning and evening and have cut down to using BP only in the morning.

at night i use the wash and neutrogena pore refining moisturiser:

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details....oductid=1022399

this is such an amazing regimen! in the morning my skin looks great and refreshed! eusa_dance.gif

I was starting to think i was the only person who uses the clean and clear advanage daily treatment wash. I've been reading the forums and it seems everyone who tries it is immediately put off of it because its very drying.

I really think its worth trying, in conjunction with bp once a day - headturner it seems as if we have almost identical regimens. (however i use bp at night not morning)

Its got loadsa stuff in it thats meant to be good-

"It contains a special spot-fighting ingredient, which unblocks pores by removing trapped dirt and dead skin cells. Plus a brand new combination of natural ingredients - cedarwood, cinnamon oil and moss rose, which are known to act on redness and spot size. The formula also helps reduce the levels of oil on your skin where bacteria can grow and cause spots."

Try massaging it in for at least a minute - it seems to make a difference. It also lathers really well. hmm... i sound as if i work for clean and clear...lol

anyway i just think its worth getting over the dryness (maybe with jojoba oil like what i use) and trying this its 2.99 from wilko - cheaper than boots.

user posted image