Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey ladies

just curious... am starting out on Diane 35, first packet and another 2 weeks before i start the second. BUT was just thinking, does it pay to skip the sugar pills? If im just Diane35 for acne control (am practising abstinence), would it show results to keep on with the 21 hormone pills? Im just wondering if the 7 day break would cause me to break out more? If so, maybe i should just skip them and start the second packet on day 22?

has anyone else done it? what were your results?

Personally I use dianette which I think is english for Diane 35

I did them back to back and I was fine til my next period=broke out worse than usual around period and cramps were bad as was my menstrual related sleeplessness. Your better off having the breaks because you are going to have to have a break sooner or later.

I too take dianette- which as pointed out is prob the British version.

I ALWAYS run my packs back to back and have been doing so the last couple of years.

As the periods arnt actually real (the pill stops the release of eggs) its simply your bodies response to the lack of pill when you break and thus drop in hormones, which happens after youve released an egg normally- so your body sheds womb lining thinking youve released an egg. But you havent. Get me?!!

I asked my doc about this and he agreed its perfectly safe as long as you break every 3 or 4 mnths so that you dont get a build up of womb lining.

I know that my acne is hormonal, which is why this pill works so well for me. Ive taken it for years and my skin was so good I came off. I was fine for bout 6 mnths then my skin went horrible, I was 24 and gutted cos I thought Id grown out of my acne. I just started seeing my boyfriend aswell and felt so bad cos I came out in horrible big sore spots.

I think im nver goin to risk coming off the dianette but obviously thats gonna be a problem cos I will want kids in the next few years. I am not going to know what to do at all, cos Ill come off the pill and have to be all spotty while I try and get pregnant- its going to be awful. The only alternative is to not have kids , but then Ill feel like I never had children cos I WAS TOO VAIN AND ILL END UP A LONELY OLD WOMAN WITH NO FAMILY AROUND ME! AAH SEE WHAT ACNE DOES!!!! eusa_wall.gif

You should discuss this with your gynecologist before you do it, if i understand correctly the best brands to use to skip periods are the kind that have a steady hormonal dose through the whole pack. If you have the type that has a stepped dose, you can sometimes deal with it by taking the first pack normally, then taking the second pack backwards (by starting at the end of the pack and taking the pills in reverse order), third pack forwards, fourth pack backwards, at which point you break and allow the period to happen. Skipping your period with BC pills can cause breakthrough bleeding (mini-period), especially if you aren't religious about taking the pill at the same time every day.

thanks for the replies...

beenthere - i wish i had thought of this before i left NZ (my gynae is there). And the whole backwards and forwards thing sounds a little too complicated for me. I am due back in NZ in the next 6 months so i will have to ask then. Cheers.

womaninwhite - can relate to you. i was on an OCP for 2 years and stopped it in Jan this year (broke up with bf). Worse thing is that i didnt use it for acne at all, but have subsequently discovered that the OCP (loette) can be prescribed for your skin. Funniest thing, i couldnt make the connection betw me stopping the pill and the acne starting cos my skin had always been clear...

Anyways, just curious with how you stopped and restarted, does it work as effectively as it did when you were on it before you stopped? Like, the OCP didnt lose its efficiency 2nd time round did it?

I think im gonna run the first and second packets back to back and then have a period after the second. I just want clear skin so bad.

With the whole getting pregnant thing, at least if we're pregnant and spotty and someone asks "whats up with your face?" we can point to our pregnancy and say "hormones" and know that the person will understand... its kinda hard to pull the same thing off with such confidence when you're not pregnant. Somehow it just doesnt have the same ring does it? smile.gif

beenthere - i wish i had thought of this before i left NZ (my gynae is there). And the whole backwards and forwards thing sounds a little too complicated for me. I am due back in NZ in the next 6 months so i will have to ask then.

wow.. i took Diane 35 for like 4 years

and the EXACT same thing happened for me..

i stopped and then like 5 months later, my face EXPLODED... the worse acne I've had in my entire life.

I have about 5 major scars now from the breakout and I am also on accutane because of it....

And to think I chose Diane 35 to help my acne (which it did while i was on it)... I would have never taken it if i knew it would cause me so much pain...!

I think they should really put a big red warning sign on the Birth control pill package that says,

"WARNING!!!!: DON"T START IF YOU"RE GOING TO STOP TAKING THIS AT ONE POINT IN TIME

CUZ YOUR FACE WILL EXPLODE WITH A MILLION ZITS!!!"

im on roaccutane and not on pill i will never take any pill agian,it what fucked my skin in first place

Well when I restarted the dianette in october last year, it took a few months for my skin to clear up. Probably till february- but know its not too bad, iv not been picking or anything and is pretty good.

Is interesting that 'kel' said she never go on the pill again as was what fucked up her face in the first place. It could be that, I went on the pill at 15 (not dianette) but had acne anyways, which is what made me swap to dianette as thought as was on it anyway, may aswell be on one that suppresses acne. BUT, as I was 15, It may have been 'normal' teenage acne but as am 25 now, the whole pill thing may have caused some abnormal hormonal acne kick off. I do not know, and am open to all schools of thought on the matter. Can you explain what you mean more kel?

Also Jane Doe- do you think that its the coming off the pill that acts as a response to acne?

And pen 7805, as I said, the 2nd time to take the dianette, works just as effectively I found. When I went on it the first and second time, I felt so bad about my skin that I didnt care about any thoughts on the pill, just that I wanted my acne gone, and to a point, with dianette, it has.

womaninwhite,

Absolutely.

Actually about 5 years ago, I was also taking the pill and then suddenly stopped taking it for a couple of months and my face also exploded in many many cystic acne.

After I went back on, the acne was gone... and then I was too afraid to going off for fear i would get the "big explosion of zits".

I talked to my family doctor and he said the acne might be there in the first place and the pill just helps lessen the acne, so once you stop it, you get your acne back..

i beg to differ... before i went on the pill, i never got major cystic acne.. i had zits (like every teenager) but nothing that would scar...

So to all those who are taking birth controll pills now, from my experience, especially Diane 35... watch out if u want to stop.

thats what happend with me, i took the pill for 10 yrs im 24 now,and have always have spotty skin,went on diantte and it got worse,came off pill in nov just gone and now have acne,worse though,and cysts,arghhhh.but i wanted to come off it,as i want kids in few yrs time and i was scared i would break out really badly so i thought ill come off the pill deal with it,give time to settle then have kids,having kids may kick it off again, i no.

im on roaccutane now so hopefully that will help,its my 3rd time on tane,3rd time lucky and all that!!!.

everytime my acne has returned its always less severe,however thsi time round it was bad,or should i say different kind of spots,less than before but more painfull cyst type blemishes.

i will never go back on pill, my derm supports this,as she said the roaccutane willwork regardless of the pill.

yeah i wish that the doc had told me that there was a chance that the pill could escalate my oily but otherwise blemishfree face into pimple city. if she had, i would have used the injection or IUD or anything other than this. hell even absitenence would have been an option.

Funniest thing, the very first pill i went on was Diane 35 and the doc was convinced that this was the one for me... i had no acne, had never been on a pill before, relatively healthy weight. i swear 2 months on this, i had gained about 5kgs, was highly emotional. just the way she was, makes me convinced she must be recieving some kind of payoff for every diane35 she prescribed. i lasted about 2 months before i chucked this in and changed docs.

after 2 years of loette i too decided that i wanted to give my body a break and 'normalise' myself for when i decide to have children and so on. HUGE MISTAKE! should have just stayed on it... when i stopped Loette i had no idea what i was doing to make my face turn against me... i bought new soaps, towels, linen, watched my diet, drank more water, exercised more, wore hats - but nothing stopped the onslaught of acne. Until i was realised that the only thing i was doing different was not taking a pill each morning.. and then it made sense. i tried to hold off on gettin onto another OCP thinking my hormones would come right, and tried Dan's regime. Another HUGE MISTAKE. I wish i had never used BP as i think (for me) it has exacerbated the red marks and scarring i am going to have.

but there is definitely a link between ocp's and aggravated acne and more explanations should be given to girls by the docs before being given the pills.

But so far things are ok with diane 35... i havent had the initial breakout im expecting but then again its only been a week. did everyone here get a huge breakout when they went back on the OCP?

Reading this thread has really frightened me...!

I'm on Dianette and have been for 2 years now. It didn't get rid of my acne so I was prescribed various anti-biotics (which were also useless) and finally Roaccutane, which I've just finished - my skin is now pretty clear.

My doctor is keen for me to change pills now I've been on Dianette for so long, because of the safety aspect (the increased risk of blood clotting etc). My derm recommended I shouldn't change pills while I was still on the 'tane, but after I'd finished my course it'd be fine. Which means, I should be coming off Dianette in the next month or so.

Anyways, after reading this, I'm now petrified that my skin is going to go back to what it was, if not worse... I've finally got nice skin, and the thought of it going back to what I had before... ugh. Guess I'm just having a bit of a post-tane freak out... its quite scary to think about coming off all these treatments after being dependant on them for so long.

confused.gif

its tempting to go back on pill but it wont solve problem for me.besides im on tane now!!!!

and ill only have this problem all over again when i stop to have kids so might as well carry on i have been of pill a year in nov,i was on 10 years so im sure will take a while yet to regulate,meanwhile im on roaccutane,so if i was on pill again then stop at later date i will break out all over agian,and this wil be my last time on tane so im not risking it.

Oh mi god all so scary.

I do think that going on these pills ( they are synthetic hormones after all) is not a good thing for young developing bodies, as we previously were! I wonder if none of us went on the pill at such a young age, whether wed'd be suffering from acne at this age to such an extent? wacko.gif

beenthere - i wish i had thought of this before i left NZ (my gynae is there). And the whole backwards and forwards thing sounds a little too complicated for me. I am due back in NZ in the next 6 months so i will have to ask then.

Yeh, it is complicated, and it sort of defeats the purpose of a triphasic pill. If your pill is monophasic it doesn't matter what order you take the pack in and you are much less likely to experience breakthrough bleeding.

Yes, frightening indeed. If the BC pill you're taking does not have a certain progestin in it, you should not do back-to-back rounds of it. You risk endometrial hyperplasia and uterine cancer, I shit you not. It could happen in as little as three months. It's very serious, don't fuck around with it. I can deal with a little neosporin goofiness (different post), but this? No. Do not mess with your hormones and your health like that.

Conversely, if you're taking a pill that has a progestin in addition to estrogen, you CAN go back to back - you will NOT get hyperplasia or buildup of the lining. The progestin prevents that, and in fact keeps it thin (that's how it prevents pregnancy). It's a total myth that if you're going to go back to back (with the proper hormone balance) that you need to go off every few months to "thin out your lining." That's bunk.

Bottom line is: ask your doctor first. Tell them your suspicion (that the acne worsens the week you're off). Tell them staying on the pill (menstrual supression) worked for my acne. Make sure the progestin component of your pill is okay for going back to back. If they give you a line of crap that is different than the above, find another doctor, because yours is an insecure, lazy asshole who won't consider that medical information changes and develops over time thanks to research, and doesn't bother to stay informed.

But please, don't play doctor yourselves with hormonal medication. I'm serious, and I know about this stuff, okay?

I loves ya and all, but I want to protect you, too! :o)

Yes, frightening indeed.  If the BC pill you're taking does not have a certain progestin in it, you should not do back-to-back rounds of it.  You risk endometrial hyperplasia and uterine cancer, I shit you not.  It could happen in as little as three months.  It's very serious, don't fuck around with it.  I can deal with a little neosporin goofiness (different post), but this? No.  Do not mess with your hormones and your health like that.

Conversely, if you're taking a pill that has a progestin in addition to estrogen, you CAN go back to back - you will NOT get hyperplasia or buildup of the lining.  The progestin prevents that, and in fact keeps it thin (that's how it prevents pregnancy).  It's a total myth that if you're going to go back to back (with the proper hormone balance) that you need to go off every few months to "thin out your lining."  That's bunk.

Bottom line is:  ask your doctor first.  Tell them your suspicion (that the acne worsens the week you're off).  Tell them staying on the pill (menstrual supression) worked for my acne.  Make sure the progestin component of your pill is okay for going back to back.  If they give you a line of crap that is different than the above, find another doctor, because yours is an insecure, lazy asshole who won't consider that medical information changes and develops over time thanks to research, and doesn't bother to stay informed.

But please, don't play doctor yourselves with hormonal medication.  I'm serious, and I know about this stuff, okay?

I loves ya and all, but I want to protect you, too!  :o)