Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KK

Pros/Cons of Salicylic Acid?

If Salicylic acid is bad,why would a huge company like Neutrogena (dermatologist recommended and all that) use salicylic acid in most of their products?You would think they did a lot of research and testing.

They do make that BP on the spot thing.They said it was ok to use BP over salicylic acid.

personally i like the acid. i think works well with bp, its just not as affective as bp. the reason they use it so often is because out of all acne fighting ingredients out there salic acid is the least irritating, does not scare people away like bp and its initial irritation.

If Salicylic acid is bad,why would a huge company like Neutrogena (dermatologist recommended and all that) use salicylic acid in most of their products?You would think they did a lot of research and testing.

They do make that BP on the spot thing.They said it was ok to use BP over salicylic acid.

I use salycic acid. It's alot better for your skin in terms of safety and side effects. The only real bad thing about it is it's not as effective as BP. But it treats mild to moderate acne great. Salycic acid is better than BP in many different ways: such as it doesnt dry out your skin, doesnt make it irritated, wont make your skin highly sensitive to the sun unlike BP and it wont have a bleaching effect on eyebrows like BP sometimes does. I've used salycic acid medication for the past 6 months and im completely clear now.

I think s/acid is effective as long as its not used morning and night everyday.washing with it morning and night can ruin the natural balance of your skin. Or if you like to wash morning and night, instead of rubbing it (neutrogena acne wash)straight on to your face, rub some into your hands, fill your hands up with water and then splash this on to your face. You still feel clean but dosnt dry your skin at all.

Salicylic acid makes my skin break out and my whole face looks sun burned....also it burns really bad so i dont use it....is there anything else that will work for me to clear up my acne

Lucas

I bought salyicil acid about a month ago and tried it and I broke out along my forehead. Thankfully its gone and didnt scar but it was scary to see all that work with dans regimen go away. Ill stick with the regimen even though it's hard on my skin it's the only thing stopping my acne.

I think s/acid is effective as long as its not used morning and night everyday.washing with it morning and night can ruin the natural balance of your skin. Or if you like to wash morning and night, instead of rubbing it (neutrogena acne wash)straight on to your face, rub some into your hands, fill your hands up with water and then splash this on to your face. You still feel clean but dosnt dry your skin at all.

I use this product called Dermafina. www.dermafina.com if you're interested. It's got salycic acid and its made together with other ingredients real well. And it makes sure it doesnt strip your skin of its natural moisture balance. The moisturizer there helps blotchiness and skin cell renewal and minimizes pore size. The medication is an exfoliator along with acne medication. It's a great product that cleared me up. It's quite new and is the only over the counter product up to date that fights all 5 causes of acne. Check it out, I really reccommend it. It uses salycic acid very well.

Also for those of you worrying with acne scars. That moisturizer helps minimize the appearance of acne scars.

While on Dan's regimen, I use Neutrogena's Oil-Free Wash (w/s-acid) once a week in the shower. I have always liked it, and it leaves my skin smooth, helping slough off a lot of the dead skin. I also use the tape method twice a week. This combination is really helping to remove my red blotchy marks, and Dan's regimen is keeping me acne free!