Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stantheman9

Stans accutane log..

Greetings,

Most of you don't know me. I have moderate acne, and have taken every medication in the book for it. Finally my derm decided to proceed to the final step, accutane. I only weigh 160 lbs, so ill be maxing out at about 80mg a day. Wish me luck, and give me all the tips possible. I will try to post several times a week, maybe even get some pics to record the progess. Accutane starts next tuesday, june 14th, so ill be picking up some cetaphil moisurizer and cleanser. Also some blistex or aquaphor. If you guys have experimented with other models of moisturizer or lip balm you prefer, plzz inform me. Thanx a lot~

stan

Guest Avian

I'll reply.

Four things:

1. 80mg will give you a moderate initial breakout, watch out!

2. Drink plenty of water to minimize the risks of getting a long term side effects.

3. Ditto for having a good diet.

2. Good luck!

hey,

the day has finally arrived. just ingested my first pill with dinner eusa_dance.gif . I'm starting out with 40mg ( day 1 ) , 80 mg ( day 2). The fucking suppliers didn't even give me my months supply, so i have to contact my doctor to get a sooner appointment. They said they couldn't give uneven amounts or something of the sort, has this happened to any of you guys? I was supposed to take 45 pills this week, and they wouldnt give me the fifth pack because extra accutane is " illegal " ? HMMMMM...

Anyways i was also supplied with aquaphor, and have cetaphil moisturizer + soap. Just waiting for some positive or negative side effects, something to indicate the accutane is flowing through my system eusa_shifty.gif .

And for the guys, any recommendations on shaving, and perphaps things to watch out for when weightlifting ( only lift light weights ) ? I've heard shaving sucks, and that some people get muscle/joint aches. Anyways, ill be updating every now and then, and hopefully get some pics up.

Hey dude, i started June 2nd so we will be finishing around the same time, im on 60mg atm, and next week i will up it to 80mg (my max).. Start moisturizing STRAIGHT away, and put the lip stuff on. I found shaving to be ok, just be careful.... After you have a shower make sure you apply moisturizer or you will flake to death !! When i wake up i get bits of flakeyness and i just have a shower apply moisturizer and im good to go. Goodluck mate, i also lift weights ! (what you doing lifting light bro) LIFT HEAVY OR GO HOME biggrin.gif Anyway mate goodluck, drink lots of water.

okay,

2nd day... nothing new.. but i didn't expect anything. Good policy about the lifting bro, I can't stand lifting light. Good luck on accutane, nice to have someone to chat with while taking the medicine. How long are you on it, and whats your max dose? I'm gonna be on tane for about 6 months topping out at 80mg a day. My doctor believes in longer cycles with smaller doses. It equals out to about 1mg/kg a day for 6 months though.. ~ and to hotdamn, *hope you get your accutane on your first attempt, because antibiotics suck*.

No one had trouble picking up uneven amounts of pills? I was supposed to accumulate 45 pills before my next appointment, and the pharmacy would only give me four boxes. They said they couldn't give me extra accutane pills, it's against the law or something. Were the policy people stupid, or is this actually a law. I assume they were stupid, because my friend had no troubles with this..

~ill keep updating.. my digi cam is broken, so no pictures as of now.

~ thanks for the replies and support.

good morning,

please reply.... i'm on the beginning of the 3rd day and 4 of my 10 knuckles are somewhat inflamed and itchy, what could this be a sign of? They itched a little last night, and overnight became more swollen. I am feeling no other effects.. hmmm?

Plz tell me what this could mean.

well,

end of day 3, the rash / reaction on my knuckles caught me off guard this morning. I woke up to my first side effect at the day 3 ticker, seems kind of early. Everyone said it's not anything of harm though, good. Well no new side effects, just fell like postin that uncase anyone cared..

Day 6~~

Not much new to report. First signs of dry lips appeared, at least i know the accutane is in my blood cool.gif. My skin seems to have a better tone to it for some reason, maybe discontinuation of the topicals or accutane is working already..

~ accutane tends to make me go to sleep about an hour earlier than usual, which is kind of odd.

~ haven't had to shave yet, hope it doesnt suck eusa_pray.gif .

day 11~ ( iS anyone here? no ones replying eusa_doh.gif )

Today i have about 35 active acne on my face!!!!! god damnit. the initial breakout has begun. I also have 2 symmetric broken blood vessels in each eye, im assuming from the dryness of eyes on accutane? I work on computers, so maybe its dryness + concentration?

recap of side effects

dry lips

broken blood vessels

fatigue

noticing more hairs coming out

minor dry skin

BREAKOUT

day 11~ ( iS anyone here? no ones replying  eusa_doh.gif )

Today i have about 35 active acne on my face!!!!! god damnit. the initial breakout has begun. I also have 2 symmetric broken blood vessels in each eye, im assuming from the dryness of eyes on accutane? I work on computers, so maybe its dryness + concentration?

recap of side effects

dry lips

broken blood vessels

fatigue

noticing more hairs coming out

minor dry skin

BREAKOUT

Day 12-

Well there are a couple good and bad things to report today. My broken blood vessels are fading, which is great. But... the nosebleeds have begun. I had one this morning, only to cause another one tonight when i picked the scab of the previous nosebleed eusa_snooty.gif. Can anyone explain why these occur more while on accutane?

Always, good luck with your accutane(claravis) course. We should be experiencing the same side effects, and it will be good to have someone supportive/knows what you're going through. Thanks for replying.

Hey... I had the same deal with nosebleeds in the beginning. It is because the inside of your nose gets really dry and the blood vessels can break really easy. They go away though. Im just over 2 and a half months on the tane now, and I am like 97 percent clear. Just keep taking it and it will all work out for you.....

Hey

great encouraging words, thanks! Just got my new computer today eusa_dance.gif.

~ okay well another new side effect.. today after doing squats ( for you weight-lifters) i encountered some pretty bad back pain. I had slight, almost non existant back pain previously from the accutane i assume, and after lifting it hurts like shittt, shock.gif. Any suggestions on how to prevent this? or should i just stop doing squats for the remainder of my accutane treatment?

Thanks lots,

stan

ah yeah, ive just started lifting cuz my soccer coach said i needed to, but yeah it hurts my joints and back a lot more and the soreness stays around for a lot long...blahh i load up on the ibprofin

cant comment much to these side affects because ive only beein on it for 4 days but heres a tip for the nose bleeds.

Rub whatever moisturizer you use on the inside of your nose. Sounds disgusting but its what my doctor told me to do.

Also i use, this stuff by Vichys laboratories for a moisturizer. Im quite in love with it.

Its really nice, leaves your skin feeling nice and soft and normal. And most importantly its oil free!

Day 15~

Nosebleeds have subsided, biggrin.gif. I have no new side effects besides damn lower back pain ( from squats ), and fatigue. The sun beat down on me yesterday when i went out fishing with my dad ( it was mandatory ). I covered my face up and put on sunblock, because i was exposed to sunlight at 12 o clock when it's at its worst. I live to tell the story, so it's not too bad. Surprisingly, my skin still has not begun to peel. mmmm.... need to up the dosage?

-stan

hey,

the day has finally arrived. just ingested my first pill with dinner  eusa_dance.gif . I'm starting out with 40mg ( day 1 ) , 80 mg ( day 2).

Day 15~

Nosebleeds have subsided,  biggrin.gif. I have no new side effects besides damn lower back pain ( from squats ), and fatigue. The sun beat down on me yesterday when i went out fishing with my dad ( it was mandatory ). I covered my face up and put on sunblock, because i was exposed to sunlight at 12 o clock when it's at its worst. I live to tell the story, so it's not too bad. Surprisingly, my skin still has not begun to peel. mmmm.... need to up the dosage?

Day 18~~~

I haven't updated in a whlie, eusa_liar.gif. Nothing new... didn't even think about going near squats when i worked out yesterday night. Thanks for the comments/knowledge UK guy, i know my face wont peel... but its kind of exaggeration. I haven't really begun to see anything on my face besides the initial breakout. Lips are chapped, but aquaphor manages to control that. I guess the cetaphil i use at nice is mousturizing well?

I too am a little sketchy on why my derm would put me on 60**** mg a day. It's an alternating schedule, 40mg (day1), 80mg (day2). I will be upped to 80mg in about 2 weeks.

~ the initial breakout has begun to fade, but lots of new zits are appearing. Just not in the large quantities they had been in the inital breakout. My face is less tender to the touch, meaning less "bad" acne. eusa_dance.gif

Day 23,

Acne is slowly improving. Blackheads are still surfacing, and the same with the whiteheads. My initial breakout has passed, and hopefully my acne continues to improve. No horrible side effects, just dry lips, hot flashes, and fatigue. Other than that, im A- okay.

hey,

the day has finally arrived. just ingested my first pill with dinner  eusa_dance.gif . I'm starting out with 40mg ( day 1 ) , 80 mg ( day 2).

I'm perplexed why you've been put onto 80mg almost from the off, if you build up the dosage gradually the initial breakout is likely to be much less, and you will have more time to adjust to the other side effects. e.g. I've been on Roaccutane for the last month (I weight about 66Kg, so max dose will be 60mg/day) and my derm suggested this pattern of dosage:

20mg every other day for first 10 days

20mg/day for next 10 days

40mg/day for next 10 days (or longer if more time needed to adjust -

60mg/day for remainder of course

BTW I use Johnson & Johnson Extra Mild Face Wash, which is great, and Apaisac lip balm (in a tube) and moisturiser.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------FOR STANTHEMAN (please read) from FRIENDLYFACE

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The doctor my son saw also put him on this kind of a regimin, but he had to have a blood test every two weeks before he could renew the perscription - to check his cholesterol levels and his liver functions. I think the doctor was very thorough - and if there had been elevations - he would have taken him off immediately. I just don't understand how some doctors could not be aware of these risks and feel responsible for their patients safety - 80 mgs from the get go is not a responsible dermatologist. Maybe the person you responded to should look for a more responsible dermatologist.

Friendlyface

Day 23,

Acne is slowly improving. Blackheads are still surfacing, and the same with the whiteheads. My initial breakout has passed, and hopefully my acne continues to improve. No horrible side effects, just dry lips, hot flashes, and fatigue. Other than that, im A- okay.