Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello!

I was looking at Sephora to add something to my regular everyday Bare Minerals makeup routine, and I bought a Smashbox Primer.

I know absolutely nothing about primer though! Has primer helped anyone? What does it do exactly, does it just like make your makeup stay longer? Is it worn under or over makeup? Can it be worn with mineral makeup or does it have to be actual foundation?

If anyone has had any experiences with primer that they could share with me, I'd really appreciate it! Thank you in advance!

The silicone in the primer will fill in the microscopic peaks and valleys on the skin's surface so when makeup is applied, it will look smoother, lessening the appearance of fine lines and will produce a slightly matte finish. It also provides a better surface for the makeup to adhere to so the color product doesn't just sink into your skin. I've heard some people say primer will help their makeup stay all day. I have very oily skin so nothing helps my makeup (except copper peptides, but that's a whole different story).

It should work just as well regardless of what type of foundation you are using.

To apply, put a small drop in one hand. Using the opposite hand, take a small amount and smooth it over an area of your face in a thin layer. Repeat until your entire face is covered. You will notice that the primer has a very smooth texture and great slippage so a little will go a long way. When the primer is dry, you can apply your makeup on top of it.

Note: If you apply the primer too thickly, you will notice it will kind of roll off and not adhere to your skin.

Tip: When I have a scar/scab from a pimple and its texture is rough, I apply several very thin layers of primer on it (letting it dry between applications). This will help to give a smoother surface over which the concealer can be applied. Sometimes it still doesn't look perfectly natural, but it's better than not using any primer.

The silicone in the primer will fill in the microscopic peaks and valleys on the skin's surface so when makeup is applied, it will look smoother, lessening the appearance of fine lines and will produce a slightly matte finish.  It also provides a better surface for the makeup to adhere to so the color product doesn't just sink into your skin.  I've heard some people say primer will help their makeup stay all day.  I have very oily skin so nothing helps my makeup (except copper peptides, but that's a whole different story).

It should work just as well regardless of what type of foundation you are using.

To apply, put a small drop in one hand.  Using the opposite hand, take a small amount and smooth it over an area of your face in a thin layer.  Repeat until your entire face is covered.  You will notice that the primer has a very smooth texture and great slippage so a little will go a long way.  When the primer is dry, you can apply your makeup on top of it.

Note:  If you apply the primer too thickly, you will notice it will kind of roll off and not adhere to your skin. 

Tip:  When I have a scar/scab from a pimple and its texture is rough, I apply several very thin layers of primer on it (letting it dry between applications).  This will help to give a smoother surface over which the concealer can be applied.  Sometimes it still doesn't look perfectly natural, but it's better than not using any primer.

Smashbox is the best, those guys are well renowned for making-up people like Paris Hilton and Madonna. I own EVERYTHING in that range.

That primer is probably way more suitable for mature women who have wrinkles, it's like a polyfiller. I've heard some pretty good raves about it but, I don't really think that you'd need it if you're under 30.

I don't really use foundation, but, I think the Eyelights compact is absolutely AWESOME, the colors in "Smashing Flash" are almost peacock-like and I always get compliments when I'm wearing them. You can use them dry, with the lightest shade as a base, and the darker color in the eye socket. Or you can use them wet as an eyeliner, and that looks pretty sexy.

user posted image

The mascaras are great, though. They give you super wet-looking glossy eyelashes, and not that horrible dry look that you can often get with high street brands.

OMG! and the lip-glosses are fucking incredible. My favorites are "Smashing Sassy" which is kinda pinkish and "Smashing Shoot" which is a peach and one for a hot date would be "Smashing Blaze" 'cause that's a nice yummy red.

Who wears lipstick these days, anyway?

Wow! You've gotta be pretty daring to carry off that one. That shade is so sinful it's practically INCESTUAL. lol.gif

Yeah, MAC's just famous for their lipsticks. Freddy and Konstantine hold a make-up brush like a gun, but, that's not really surprising when they've been known to draw inspiration from Kevyn Aucoin, which I think is cool.

A lot of my friends like the "Russian Red", too, (and I've gotta say that it looks smack-tastic on blondes), but, they've just switched over to the lip-glass version because it's summer.

But, right now, I'm totally obsessed with Diane Von Furstenberg and with Daniel Chavez ever since he ROCKED Imitation of Christ. Timber is the best though, he's the one who did my make-up for me for my 21st birthday bash, he's just a really nice guy.

Did you watch Mercedes Benz Fashion Week? It was held right at Smashbox studio LA, some people don't know that.

Kashou and his love of lots and lots of layered chiffon, metallic blazers and ruffle skirts, has rubbed off on Timber and we know how crazy Timber is, so I have a feeling that we're gonna be seeing that come through in Smashbox cosmetics this fall, even though that was so last season.

Wow! You've gotta be pretty daring to carry off that one. That shade is so sinful it's practically INCESTUALlol.gif

Yeah, MAC's just famous for their lipsticks. Freddy and Konstantine hold a make-up brush like a gun, but, that's not really surprising when they've been known to draw inspiration from Kevyn Aucoin, which I think is cool.

A lot of my friends like the "Russian Red", too, (and I've gotta say that it looks smack-tastic on blondes), but, they've just switched over to the lip-glass version because it's summer.

But, right now, I'm totally obsessed with Diane Von Furstenberg and with Daniel Chavez ever since he ROCKED Imitation of Christ. Timber is the best though, he's the one who did my make-up for me for my 21st birthday bash, he's just a really nice guy.

Did you watch Mercedes Benz Fashion Week? It was held right at Smashbox studio LA, some people don't know that.

Kashou and his love of lots and lots of layered chiffon, metallic blazers and ruffle skirts, has rubbed off on Timber and we know how crazy Timber is, so I have a feeling that we're gonna be seeing that come through in Smashbox cosmetics this fall, even though that was so last season.

So Eva, Tracy, what happend to your old accounts?

As you can see I still have mine because I am special!

Oh shit, I just realised what forum section I posted in, I don't wear makeup I swear! redface.gif I was just searching through someones recent posts and it happend to be in this section, I should have checked before posting. eusa_doh.gif

Edited by Animal
Guest Babyblue
Hello!

I was looking at Sephora to add something to my regular everyday Bare Minerals makeup routine, and I bought a Smashbox Primer.

I know absolutely nothing about primer though! Has primer helped anyone? What does it do exactly, does it just like make your makeup stay longer? Is it worn under or over makeup? Can it be worn with mineral makeup or does it have to be actual foundation?

If anyone has had any experiences with primer that they could share with me, I'd really appreciate it! Thank you in advance!