Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lunno

Acne caused by androgens..DHT..A pill to stop it

Acne sufferers tend to have increased activity of the enzyme 5 alpha reductase, which is responsible for converting testosterone to dihydrotesterone (DHT). DHT is a potent androgen and the primary culprit in the stimulation of oil gland receptors which, if oversensitive to such hormonal input, consequently overproduce oil and hyperkeratinise dermal cells within the pore, resulting in a comedone. Thus in two individuals with identical testosterone levels one may suffer disfiguringly severe acne while the other enjoys flawless skin. (Quoted from antony)

'deactivation of 5- alpha reductase, testosterone can no longer be converted to dihydrotestosterone - Propecia®'

This pill also stops men from going bald! PROPECIA is the first and only FDA-approved pill demonstrated to treat male pattern hair loss on the vertex (top of head) and anterior mid-scalp area (middle front of head) in men only. There is not sufficient evidence that PROPECIA works for receding hairlines at the temples.

http://www.louisville.edu/~mjwell04/details1.htm

http://www.propecia.com/finasteride/propec...sumer/index.jsp

Are you saying the propecia would help improve a person's acne? Also, are you saying that it's not the amoung of testosterone that gives a person acne, but the way the body handles it? I've seen bodybuilders who are obviously taking synthetic testosterone and have no acne whatsoever. Let me know about the propecia thing. Maybe I can take it for my acne and my dad can take it for his hair loss. haha. thanks biggrin.gif

Acne sufferers tend to have increased activity of the enzyme 5 alpha reductase, which is responsible for converting testosterone to dihydrotesterone (DHT). DHT is a potent androgen and the primary culprit in the stimulation of oil gland receptors which, if oversensitive to such hormonal input, consequently overproduce oil and hyperkeratinise dermal cells within the pore, resulting in a comedone. Thus in two individuals with identical testosterone levels one may suffer disfiguringly severe acne while the other enjoys flawless skin. (Quoted from antony)

'deactivation of 5- alpha reductase, testosterone can no longer be converted to dihydrotestosterone - Propecia®'

This pill also stops men from going bald! PROPECIA is the first and only FDA-approved pill demonstrated to treat male pattern hair loss on the vertex (top of head) and anterior mid-scalp area (middle front of head) in men only. There is not sufficient evidence that PROPECIA works for receding hairlines at the temples.

http://www.louisville.edu/~mjwell04/details1.htm

http://www.propecia.com/finasteride/propec...sumer/index.jsp

so where do you plan on getting propecia. Its not cheap either. I highle dought your doctor will give you a script for it.

This issue has already been discussed a number of times.

First of all, the 5a-reductase in sebaceous glands is the type 1 form, which finasteride (Propecia, Proscar) doesn't affect.

Second of all, even a drug which DOES inhibit the type 1 form was recently shown to be ineffective against acne in a study done by some big-time dermatologists. The reason for the failure is unknown.

Bryan

I was on propecia for a year and it didn't do anything for my acne. I've been on several hair loss message boards where propecia users have commented that their acne worsened or they got acne for the first time.

There is a topical product line called Triaxon that helps regrow hair for those suffering from hair loss. It works by controlling or neutralizing the scalp's production of DHT by up to 90%. However, I'm not about to use it on the face for acne lol.

Propecia or generic finasteride, while in theory should help acne a litttle, physiologically it does not improve acne.

If it had any effect on improving acne believe me considering the desperate financial situation of Merck, they would be all over it in terms of trying to get a second line indication for Acne.

Propecia actually increases testosterone levels by at least 30% if you read the clinical trial results.

Because DHT usually inhibitis the production of testosterone and since Propecia blocks DHT, more testosterone is produced. Bad for acne.