Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thebignosebandit

The Revenge Of The Pimple - 6 Month Post Accutane.

it was glorious. it was a dream come true. it was amazing. no acne. for a long long time. acne had been absent for so long in my life, that for a period of time i stopped facial cleansing all together. no washing, no watching what i eat, touching my face whenever and however i want, and not one single zit.

Then, just this past week. BOOM!!!! 1 small zit sprouting here, 2 there, another 1 there, and all of a sudden, i look in the mirror, and i feel like im looking at the same guy standing in the mirror before taking accutane.

And just as much as i hate the actual pimples, the oil returned. the oil actually returned within 2 or 3 weeks after finishing accutane. i hate oil, it makes you look greasy, dirty, and terrible in all lighting.

I feel defeated. I feel helpless. I took Accutane, the STRONGEST medication available on the planet. The nuclear bomb of all medications. The all or nothing last shot. And it FAILED. It cleared me for nearly a year, but it was short and sweet. The feeling knowing that i went with the best thing available and realizing my acne still prevailed and survived discourages me.

The question now is. Where do i go from here? Should i take accutane again? Is it possible that it takes 2 accutane trials in order to wipe out the acne entirely. Or am i doomed? Is accutane just a temporary cure for the inevitable?

thanks.

The question now is. Where do i go from here? Should i take accutane again? Is it possible that it takes 2 accutane trials in order to wipe out the acne entirely. Or am i doomed? Is accutane just a temporary cure for the inevitable?

Well i'd say to go on another course of accutane as the derms say that if it comes back, then you will need to take another course until your oil glands stop producing oil. The 6 month course u were on obviously wasn't enough to completely stop your oil production. That's my theory anyway, but i could be wrong. Speak to your derm mate. eusa_pray.gif

Many people get an extended or permanent remission after one course. Others need more. Your chances of permanent remission increase with each course, and it's not uncommon to take 2 or 3 courses to acheive results.

However, try the OTC stuff first like Dan's regimen. After Accutane your skin seems to respond better to topicals that didn't work before. If BP doesn't do it, maybe you could get a Retin-A prescription from your derm.

Hey don't feel bad...

I'm still on it.. i've been on it for already 6 months and I'm only 60 - 70% clear. I have been like this for the past 3 - 4 months... at least you got to enjoy clear skin while on it...

things can be worse...

tho i feel sorry that your acne came back with vengeance! You could try some topicals or go on accutane again to kill this bitch...biggrin.gif