Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Amy Lee

Do you have CLEAR relatives, friends, etc.

Guest Amy Lee

If yes, have you asked them:

1.) What they are doing to their complexions?

2.) What products they're using for their skins?

They don't use anything.

That's also why people are so ignorant about acne. They think you have poor hygiene just because they manage to "stay clear" by washing their face. What they don't know is that they probably don't need to do anything and remain clear.

I believe that everyone at some point in their life must suffer through something like acne.

yeah man. plenty of relatives who have clear skin. but it's not coz they've done something to their skin to make it that way. they're just lucky.

a few years ago i didn't do anything to my skin except wash it with cleanser...and it was fine. then i broke out and nothing i did helped it out.

what clear skinned ppl do will not work for ppl with acne. and i can say that with experience, coz i had clear skin just 3 years ago and now i don't. doubt.gif

Agree with everything above.

People with acne see people with perfect skin and think that they must have some secret. They don't do anything in particular-- they don't HAVE TO do anything because they don't have acne to worry about. They are simply not acnegenic, whether because they do not overproduce sebum or because their keratinization is normalized or both. Both traits are regulated by the sensitivity of their sebaceous gland and hair follicle receptors to androgenic stimulation; this sensitivity is a totally genetic trait. Diet, toxicity, liver health, 5 alpha reductase conversion of testosterone to DHT and so many other factors DO affect the underlying acnegenic factors in a person's body, but this simply will NOT result in acne in someone who does not have the abovementioned receptor sensitivity.

This accounts for the perceived unfairness in that where two people wash in the exact same way and eat the exact same food, one may have flawless skin while the other has severe nodlocystic acne. In exceptional cases however, such as persistent adult acne and adult onset acne, it is possible that excess androgens rather than oil gland receptor oversensitivity may play the primary role, in which case anti-androgens or oral contraceptives are the best course of treatment (alas not a desirable option for a male).

In general those with acne who OVER-treat their skin would do well to imitate their clearer complexioned counterparts who do so little, by opting for a less invasive, milder and gentler cleansing routine. something simple and natural is generally best, with post-shower non-comedogenic moisturization seeming to be especially crucial for regulating sebaceous secreetion.

Very often those who are not "destined" to have any worse than seldom mild acne get into a pattern over years of self-treatment whereby they use overdrying (ie breakout triggering), harsh, inflammatory, irritating, chemical-laden, abrasive products that mostly serve to promote inflammation and worsen acne.

But as it happens those with perfect skin can mislead those with acne into thinking that whatever they do will work for those with acne. This can be dangerous: for example LadyMacbeth's sister who uses soap on her face has flawless skin IN SPITE OF and not because of using soap-- anyone with acne who uses soap (pH 8) on their skin (pH 5.5) is overdrying their skin and routinely running a high risk of triggering breakouts.

The very idea of using soap on acne skin dates back to the notion that acne is caused by poor hygiene, when in fact soap dries out skin which in the case of the face with its high concentration of sebaceous glands means stepping up sebum production, ergo breakout. This is why not only is a non-drying mild cleanser important (though water alone is fine for milder acne) but moisturizing after showers is CRUCIAL.

My daughter is a SLOB, to my disgust, she doesnt wash her face everyday..when she does, she uses Suave Body wash, she has Radiant, CLEAR skin and has NEVER had one zit...oh, and I forgot to mention, she eats all kinds of junk.. eusa_doh.gif

Me on the other hand, always ate healthy.. am a clean freak, always was...my face broke out so bad.. when I was her age, I had to go on accutane... cry.gif

Naaaw...I dont think.. I will follow my daughters clear skin "tips"...lol

Guest Amy Lee
But as it happens those with perfect skin can mislead those with acne into thinking that whatever they do will work for those with acne. This can be dangerous: for example LadyMacbeth's sister who uses soap on her face has flawless skin IN SPITE OF and not because of using soap-- anyone with acne who uses soap (pH 8) on their skin (pH 5.5) is overdrying their skin and routinely running a high risk of triggering breakouts.

The very idea of using soap on acne skin dates back to the notion that acne is caused by poor hygiene, when in fact soap dries out skin which in the case of the face with its high concentration of sebaceous glands means stepping up sebum production, ergo breakout. This is why not only is a non-drying mild cleanser important (though water alone is fine for milder acne) but moisturizing after showers is CRUCIAL.

Amy Lee: I've stated why the "clear-skins" (LOL sounds like a racial slur or something doesn't it?) can do virtually ANYTHING to their skin and simply will not get acne (even if you put something pore-blocking on their face they keratinize ie shed their dermal cells properly so this won't affect them nearly as significantly as it would you or me); it is wrong to infer that the same applies equally to someone who IS acnegenic. If you seem to be improving or maintaining good results with soap then by all means listen to your own skin and not to me! However I and many, many I know cleared substantially SIMPLY by stopping using soap. It may take a few weeks, but almost everyone with acne who does use soap, when they stop, does improve at least somewhat. On the upside it dissolves dirt and grease in the pores, which is good, but on the downside it dries the skin while disrupting the skin's delicate acid mantle, the presence and balance of which plays a role in regulating sebum secretion. At any rate what matters most of all is that you moisturize after showering because even just water actually dries out your skin! And the fact that this all doesn't affect someone with effortlessly clear skin doesn't mean it won't affect you! They have effortlessly clear skin because of the physiological factors discussed above, and something which might result in your exploding in pimples would not affect them at all. But if something seems to work for you by all means stick with it!