Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
goldengirl

25+ years Accutane is the only last hope drug?

It makes me angry that our dermatologist says Accutane is the last hope for my son with mod to severe cystic acne.

25 yrs ago when I met my husband, his sister was on Accutane for severe acne. When we talked of having kids and when our kids were younger we were not concerned about acne because we figured medical advances were always being made and surely our kids wouldn't have to suffer. And we just assumed a whole arsenal of medications or cures would be out there if they would be needed.

Yes, there are a lot of new medications but not to treat the more severe cases.

When my 17 yr old first started breaking out, I made my first of many visits to the store to find the vast array of products to treat acne. I was surprised and I remember feeling dismayed to see Benzoyl Peroxide in so many products as that is what I used some 30 yrs ago. The thought crossed my mind that not that much had been happening to help the more severe cases of acne.

Thanks for letting me share this and I welcome any thoughts.

Well, pharmaceutical companies mean big business. Diseases require medicine. Medicine equals money to these companies. In many cases, it benefits them to keep the disease around and simply find "better" antibiotics and things to not necessarily cure the acne-but instead, keep it in check.

Think about it. Acne is not directly life-threatening. Most people with it require presrcriptions each month or so. Why would they want to cure it? If it is cured, these large corporations will take a serious loss.

Look at someting like diabetes-what progress has been made on that disease.

.........perhaps I am a little cynical, but I will bet you that there is some truth to this.

Guest delta force operators

post you story in the alternative meds section..youll see a miracle..

Benzoil peroxide and Accutane are the only products that's really been proven that it works against acne. The only difference with accutane today is that is less dangerous to completly harmless at a low dosage of 20 to 40 MG

Well said Deadliftda!

It does really make you wonder don't it.

I know how you feel GoldenGirl. I have a 17 year old daughter who started to break out badly on her back. Her face was never a out of control. For the most part topicals have worked well on her face. We just need to rotate once in a while. Really, the only thing that has completely cleared her back was Blue Lite Therapy. (Omnilite) She finished up her her sessions about a month ago and is still completely clear. She saw her derm last week and he was really happy. He said if the blue lite did not work, the next thing he would have advised would be Accutane. He was concerned about scaring.

Anyway, I know as a parent how you feel. As mothers we try to keep our kids as healthy as possible and I think its good we question any kind of meds that doctors want to prescribe. I know that for myself, if we had tried everything and nothing worked, I would suggest to my daughter to try Accutane. The teen years are hard enough and than to have to suffer thru bad acne, to me is a little bit too stressful. Also, if they are still living at home, we as parents can support them, keep a careful watch and call the derm when we get freaked out about any side effects while their on Accutane.

Take Care

Ro

It makes me angry that our dermatologist says Accutane is the last hope for my son with mod to severe cystic acne.

25 yrs ago when I met my husband, his sister was on Accutane for severe acne. When we talked of having kids and when our kids were younger we were not concerned about acne because we figured medical advances were always being made and surely our kids wouldn't have to suffer. And we just assumed a whole arsenal of medications or cures would be out there if they would be needed.

Yes, there are a lot of new medications but not to treat the more severe cases.

When my 17 yr old first started breaking out, I made my first of many visits to the store to find the vast array of products to treat acne. I was surprised and I remember feeling dismayed to see Benzoyl Peroxide in so many products as that is what I used some 30 yrs ago. The thought crossed my mind that not that much had been happening to help the more severe cases of acne.

Thanks for letting me share this and I welcome any thoughts.

It's important to note than Benzol Peroxide won't really help the cystic acne your son has. I know because I've had it -- and because the source of cystic acne is far out of reach of any topical cream.

In fact, these things dry out the skin, which aggrivates cysts and nodules.

There aren't a "lot of medications to treat the most severe cases" because nothing else has worked. There has been extensive research put into it. Millions upon million of dollars. The vitamin A "overdose" is about all that works.

Cystic/nodular acne is a very serious systemic condition. Accutane is, by definition, a drug of last resort. And, clinically speaking, it works.

(Have you looked into the "Acne Light"?)