Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NoTshirts4Me

Does birth control really help acne?

My doctor perscribed "ortho-tri cyclen" (birth control) for my acne. I have not startred it yet but i am kind of scared to take it. I heard that it can make you break out even worse and makes you fat! thats all i need right now, more acne and to be heavier. Does anyone have advice on this stuff, does it actually work!?!

I would rather have acne than take BC pills. I took the pills at the age of 15. It messed with my hormones. It happened to my best friend as well. Both of us now have a problem with increased facial hair. Neither of us had the problem until we took the pill. Now keep in mind that there are MANY women on the pill who have not had any trouble. I just dont think the risk from the pills is worth it. There are many other treatments for acne.

My doctor perscribed "ortho-tri cyclen" (birth control) for my acne. I have not startred it yet but i am kind of scared to take it. I heard that it can make you break out even worse and makes you fat! thats all i need right now, more acne and to be heavier. Does anyone have advice on this stuff, does it actually work!?!

Give it a shot and try not to be too conscious of perceived side effects in the short-term. Instead, try keeping a daily log of things you're concerned about--skin, weight, moods--and then assess after a few months. If you have concerns, you can also show your dr. the patterns you've observed and that will help her/him make changes if necessary. I know several friends with severe acne problems have had great luck with the pill, and thinking too much about it or being ultra-conscious of changes that might be coincidental could steer you away from something that could help in the long run.

That said, my experience with Ortho-Tricyclen (took it for a year around age 30) was that it gave me more severe mood swings, which were pretty consistent when I kept track over a few months. My dr. suggested taking a B vitamin and then later switched me to a different pill that was a monophasic pill, which was better. I stopped using it for reasons unrelated to any side effects.

i never had any side efects with the pill (dianette) although my acne wasn't improved much. bear in mind i used to have moderate/severe acne. if you have light acne, maybe this will work more in your favour. Dont be scared to take it though- i never suffered any sisde-effects, and there are worse drugs you could be on for acne, eg. accutane

Were you put on Ortho Tricyclen for Acne?

If not I would recommend Ortho Tricyclen LO. Thats the only BC Ive ever used and have never experienced an side effects. And it hasnt caused or helped my acne... but I wasnt prescirbed it for acne so I dont mind (although itd be nice if it did fight my acne). Ive thought about switching to a pill that prevents acne too, but I too am afraid of side effects from pills with more hormones.

A lot of women just have to try several different types to see which works best for themselves.

The best birth control for acne is Diane-35.

Google it yourself to find out just how powerful against acne it is.