Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
simply

Accutane after antibiotics

I have been on doxycycline for nearly two months and am just beginning to see significant clearing (knock on wood). However, my acne became significantly worse, deeper, more painful and I started getting cysts for the first time ever in the past month or so. Although I'm finally experiencing some improvement, I'm afraid it's temporary and my skin will get even worse as soon as I stop taking antibiotics.

The last time my dermatologist saw me (I'm at school away from home, but she came to visit-- she's also a family friend), a few weeks ago, she said I should start Accutane. We decided it'd be best for me to start when I get home from school, which is in a few days. Assuming that she still thinks Accutane is the best option, I had a few question for those with experience:

if I start Accutane relatively clear from the doxycycline, should I expect more or less of an initial breakout? Especially considering that my acne has become deeper and more cystic, would it be wise to start Accutane with a topical or with some other oral acne medicine? (Has this helped in y'all's experience?) Of course I'll talk to my derm about this stuff, but I just wanted to hear about some experiences.

well i was on minocin and then i took accutance, haveing antibiotics in my system and then going on accutance was not a problem

i wouldn't apply any topical creams. i'm on accutane currently and i dont even clean my face with anything but water. derms will start you on antibiotics before you start on the accutane so you will have less chance of an initial break out. i did the same, and never had one. with accutane you just have to give the medicine the time it needs to get built up in your system and take out the trash(sebum). it may take a while but have patience and the chances are that it will get better before it gets worse. best of wishes.