Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest OnlyJoe

RoAccutane in the UK

Guest OnlyJoe

Is it easier to get RoAccutane if you go private? i got a feeling as long as you got the £££ they're happy, or is this not the case.

Ive been on minocycline for a year now and i never got completey clear, even though im also using panoxly gel.

My acne is a persistant mild/moderate type and ive had stages of being 95% clear then it just comes back again a month later eusa_doh.gif

Thanks guys!

Joe

I've just bought some Minocycline and Accutane from the net, i'll only take 10mg-20mg accutane a day and these dosages don't need blood tests.

Guest OnlyJoe

I wouldnt buy it from the net.

I've just bought some Minocycline and Accutane from the net, i'll only take 10mg-20mg accutane a day and these dosages don't need blood tests.

Guest OnlyJoe

Thanks kat,

ive been to several NHS derms but they keep bumming me off with something else, im just tired of this persistant acne, its scarring and is still showing know signs of stopping.

At the moment im happy to pay out, but... as long as accutane is almost certain, i dont want to be fobbed off with some other weak stuff again and have to pay for it.

yeah the only way that they will guarentee it is if you have tried every available option

i did plus mine was quite severe so i am not too sure, best bet would be to ask your gp if your ready for accutane and could they refer you to a derm

Roaccutane privately is pretty damn expensive in the UK unless you have private health insurance.

What you can do is make an initial consultation with a dermatologist privately....then arrange to go to his/her NHS clinic for followup. You can get an honest opinion and assessment and then usually would be seen at the NHS clinic within 6 weeks (routine follow up appointment). That is acceptable in most specialities. I'm a doctor but don't work in a hospital with a dermatology dept so couldnt jump the NHS queue so that's what I did.....saw a well known derm for one consultation and thereafter have attended his NHS clinic and had all my roaccutane from there. An initial consultation privately will cost 80-150 pounds.

Of course, if you're minted then it doesn't really matter! I still think it's crazy in the UK to pay private prescription charges when we're so fortunate to get roaccutane free from hospital.

A reputable dermatologist shouldn't be influenced in deciding that you need roaccutane just cos you're a private patient. If you think that is the case then you need another dermatologist!

Is it easier to get  RoAccutane if you go private? i got a feeling as long as you got the £££ they're happy, or is this not the case.

Ive been on minocycline for a year now and i never got completey clear, even though im also using panoxly gel.

My acne is a persistant mild/moderate type and ive had stages of being 95% clear then it just comes back again a month later  eusa_doh.gif

Thanks guys!

Joe

i think nhs derms are more likely to prescribe it as they are less liable for prosicution in the event of things going tits up. not totaly sure on that tho. my nhs derm prescribed it like it was candy. depends where about you are and who you see, rather than the severity of your acne i think (mine was mild'ish at the time).

If you go private then you dont necessarily get the option of queue jumping to the front of NHS waiting lists, some people have had this luck but its quite rare. The area I live in you have to wait around 16 weeks to see a dermatologist on the NHS, but in some areas its less, I think turnergirl only had to wait 4 weeks! If you've got the money and you are desperate to be seen quickly then go private. I see a derm privately and I have enough money sitting about to pay for a course privately if need be, my derm worked out the costs and said it would be around £800 for all the blood tests, consultations and medication. If you've got severe acne then you're more likely to get roaccutane on the NHS than if you've got mild acne. But saying that the first time I went to a derm I had very mild acne and the derm seemed desperate for me to go on it, but i turned it down as I thought I was growing out of my acne. You must have tried several different medicines as well before they'll give you roaccutane. You could lie about that I suppose, but I find its always best to tell the truth with medical things. Its up to you at the end of the day

i took a shortcut to my derm

I went to the doc complaining of a black lump on my toe and he reffered me to the derm about that. you get in quick (i was in within 3 weeks) incase its a malign melanoma or the like.

when there, the toe was fine (just a blood blister lol), but i turned to the topic of accutane for my skin instead, and he put it all in motion there and then.

so if i got a lump on my toe...i could see a derm quicker...who could prescribe me roaccutane quicker...which would clear up my acne quicker...id have my life back quicker...

Now to make that lump on my toe...

And i had a blood blister a few months back

yeah if you need it and have tried all the other options it is not hard, i did only wait 3 weeks to see a derm on the nhs in the uk and i was told it would be much longer, when i got their he could see in my notes i had tried every other option and i was but on roaccutane.

It is not hard to get accutane i think there is just alot of people here who have heard it gets rid of it faster and try to get it without using a less harmful drug that may work for them first

I am considering accutane to control massive sebhorae (oily skin) I have that has resulted in many many blackheads on my nose and forehead.

So the question is do you need to get a referral from your GP to see a dermatologist privately.

I do not want to have to go through my GP as he is very old school and don't want to have to beg or justifu myself, I prefer going straight to the expert.

so if i got a lump on my toe...i could see a derm quicker...who could prescribe me roaccutane quicker...which would clear up my acne quicker...id have my life back quicker...

Now to make that lump on my toe...

And i had a blood blister a few months back

I am considering accutane to control massive sebhorae (oily skin) I have that has resulted in many many blackheads on my nose and forehead.

So the question is do you need to get a referral from your GP to see a dermatologist privately.

Thanks for the reply: to be honest I'm not sure this si the case. you definitely need a GP referal to a private derm if you plan to get insurance to cover the bill, but if you are going all private then I have read in the past that you can skip your GP, not sure though will have to check this out!

I am about to see a derm who I have been told puts all his patients on Accutane - Luckily I have just got a job on the hospital ward suprise surprise on the dermatology ward and they have now offered to bump me up the list so I am being seen Weds!!!!

The thing is I am worried cos I work on reception for this department and I know that my skin is gonna get worse b4 it gets betta!!! But on the up-note I see most of the patients coming in and out and I must say it looks like this derm has good results - Hoepfully I will another - I have prayed and wished so hard for clear skin and now it looks like a possibilty!!! smile.gif

Anotha concern I have is hair loss anyone experienced it?????

I will post sumthin 2 let ya know how I got on!!!

Ps - If u r really desperate to see a derm, go to ur GP and advise that u have a mole and it has changed colour/size etc.... I know it's not the done thing but it'll get u in the derms door quicker (just a bit of insider info there) eusa_hand.gif

l8rs

speaking only from my own experience, I tried to get roaccutane for 4 and a half years on NHS, was told that I wasn't bad enough sooo many times, then told that I would have to wait 7 months, then told I couldn't have it till I was out of school because the depression could mess up my results etc..

a month ago I got referred to a private derm, who said that I definatly warranted roaccutane, should have been given it years ago, and that no one should now suffer acno in the UK for more than a year as we have the means to cure all types.

Am now on 40mg's a day Whoopee!!! (except for now being a cripple)

Guest <*>

So if you go private do you have to pay for the roaccutane awell as the derm???