Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MFfan

Face is not consistantly clear..I really want help

Hey everyone...I am a new member to the site.I am 20 yrs old and have been battling acne since age 13.I am VERY self-concious and getting a break-out really depresses me to the point where I want to lock myself out from the whole world and everone in it. About 1 1/2 months ago I came across this site and decided to give it a try. I have never had bad acne...in fact most people(friends and girlfriend) have never noticed that I have a problem. I can't describe how bad this makes me feel because I feel that that is all anyone sees when they look at me. I didn't moisturize for a month and my face stayed somewhat clear...only a few days max without pimples though. Recently..maybe two weeks ago I got the moisturzer that Dan uses and..my face was great at first, but after another week I got the worst break-out I have ever had I think. My skin has always been oily.Any advice? Sometimes I feel that the 2.5% just isnt enough to kick my acne.

Here's my regimen: morning and night

OXY 10% face wash in morning,followed by some vitamin A( I heard this might help)

Dan's BP

Eucerin Moisturizer

Anyone have any tips on what Might be wrong with my routine? I have tried a mild cleanser, but My face is so used to the BP that it does nothing for me. My face isnt really so dry that I haaaave to use a moisturizer, but I would like to because it really makes the skin look healthier-Thanks

Anyone have any tips on what Might be wrong with my routine? I have tried a mild cleanser, but My face is so used to the BP that it does nothing for me. My face isnt really so dry that I haaaave to use a moisturizer, but I would like to because it really makes the skin look healthier-Thanks

do the regimen EXACTLY as stated if you want consistant results. its no surprise that when you screw around with how the regimen is set up it isnt going to work well.

It's true that you want to follow the regimen for best results.

Also, the number 1 mistake people make is they don't use enough bp. It's hard for me to get across emphatically enough how using more bp does the trick.

"I am VERY self-concious and getting a break-out really depresses me to the point where I want to lock myself out from the whole world and everone in it. About 1 1/2 months ago I came across this site and decided to give it a try. I have never had bad acne...in fact most people(friends and girlfriend) have never noticed that I have a problem. I can't describe how bad this makes me feel because I feel that that is all anyone sees when they look at me. "

Have you tried seeing a psycholgist? I'm not saying this to be mean, but it seems that you have greater issues with self-image than with acne. I hope you can take my suggestion seriously.

MF, I totally understand how you feel--I've never had horrible acne but am so self-conscious that sometimes it's excruciating. And incredibly even though I've brought up that and compulsive picking to two therapists, they in no way took it seriously. Go figure. Reading about the acne dysmorphic disorder really hit home with me.

Anyway, it's possible that the moisturizer you picked just wasn't the right one for you. Some folks are really really sensitive to silicones, and unfortunately they're in tons of moisturizers that are marketed for oily-problem skin. Me personally, if I use a skin or hair product that contains any amount of that I immediately start getting bumpy.

Maybe trying a hydrating mist that doesn't have silicone in it would be a good way to ease in? It would be light on the skin. Something with no dimethicone/cyclomethicone/trimethicone? Another alternative is to use a serum-type product, e.g. I use an oil-free vitamin c serum which works very well although pretty pricey. Either that or the mist plan have caused no problems for me. HTH.

The regimen specifically says to use a gentle non-medicated cleanser, perhaps it's the use of the OXY cleanser that is irritating your skin into breaking out.

Thanks everyone for your input. It seems that the thing that might be causing such inconsistant results is my cleanser. Like I said before, I have only had breakouts every once and a while..just enought to annoy the heck out of me. I always thought that the oxy treated me well, but I now think that I may be getting burned by it..(not literally) P.S I am a psychologist, but thanks 4 the suggestions just the same

It's true that you want to follow the regimen for best results.

Also, the number 1 mistake people make is they don't use enough bp.  It's hard for me to get across emphatically enough how using more bp does the trick.

Be careful though man. my skin has never looked this bad before in my life and i'm almost on week 7. it sucks so bad. when week 8 rolls around i'm going to a derm to see if he can give me anything to substitute in to reduce red marks. the stuff he used to have me on didn't make my pimples leave scars or red marks at all, and now it's horrible.