Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shiningstar790

What if we all had perfect skin?

I know that acne is terrible. I have been suffering for 10 long years with it now but I was thinking. If we didnt have it then we would all be perfect. I would have done anything to not have it. I might have even gave my left arm but if we all didnt have it, would we be happier? Wouldnt we still want for something else. I dont know where i am going with this but I think acne makes you stronger and a better person. I am not shallow and I dont judge others with acne. I would like to know other peoples thoughts on this please. Thanks!!

no.

we would find some other "imperfections" to stress over. i know i'll never be perfect in my own eyes. my face too big, my legs not long enough, my eyes not big enough, my thighs too large, etc etc etc...

Well I'm not sure about giving my left arm to avoid acne but I would be happier without it... who wouldn't??? That's not to say that people can't do certain things just because of a not-so-perfect complexion... Yes skin is important but in the hardest of times we need to remember its the beauty on the inside that counts.

Guest Avian

This morning I woke up and realised what it would be like to live with clear skin. I remembered how open the world used to feel. I realised what it would be like to live again instead of just exist.

Most of us are here because acne has had a huge impact on our lives. If you seperate the impact it's had from what your life was before, you see what could have happened if you had perfect skin. But like eLLe said, everyone has some issues with their appearance. I believe that acne is a bigger issue than most, though.

Guest Zitro

To be happy is to accept that we are not perfect and dismiss our imperfections.

If I had perfect skin it'd take me a while to get used to the thought. I'd probably continue living as if I still had acne for a little while. It'd be nice to get rid of that feeling of people looking at your acne all the time, but rather them looking at you because they thought you were attractive.

I would start focusing on something else wrong with me. I am sure I could find something. I am a perfectionist and acne is killing me. However, with acne, I overlook another's fault, so it is benefited to some degree.

The reason acne is different from all those other imperfections you listed is because it changes. You may not like the way your body looks, but you know what it's going to look like every morning when you wake up. You may not like the shape of your nose or your hair, but you get used to em and accept them. Acne just pops up from nowhere. It makes you obsess over your appearance because you always wonder if you look better or worse. Once you start to obsess over this it's a downward spiral.

I personally believe you can't even begin to fathom the impact acne has on someone's life. Acne pops up during the most important phase of emotional development. Just as we're supposed to begin discovering who we are and start developing ourselves outside of the identity imposed on us by our parents... we suddenly are stricken with an ailment that society tells us makes us ugly and unattractive. Lowered self esteem destroys our desire to participate in every day life. Think about why you post in an emotional support forum. Because we all need to be social, it's just unfortunate that acne drives you to feel so bad about your appearance that you can only feel comfortable in a media where no one can see you.

j

The reason acne is different from all those other imperfections you listed is because it changes.  You may not like the way your body looks, but you know what it's going to look like every morning when you wake up.  You may not like the shape of your nose or your hair, but you get used to em and accept them.  Acne just pops up from nowhere.  It makes you obsess over your appearance because you always wonder if you look better or worse.  Once you start to obsess over this it's a downward spiral.

I personally believe you can't even begin to fathom the impact acne has on someone's life.

continued later, must eat

j

I think I would be a lot happier without acne (more specifically red marks). I hate most of my features, but the thing that really brings me down is acne. It just messes up my whole face, the texture, the color. sad.gif

Perfection is unattainable, but I don't think clear skin is too much to ask for.

Well I'm not sure about giving my left arm to avoid acne but I would be happier without it... who wouldn't???  That's not to say that people can't do certain things just because of a not-so-perfect complexion... Yes skin is important but in the hardest of times we need to remember its the beauty on the inside that counts.

"beauty on the inside that counts"

Sorry to be so harsh but this is something you say to reassure yourself that your apperance is unattractive, so you resort to believing beauty is on the inside. I'd like to agree with you but the society we live in, and it's standards differ greatly.  In the hardest of times, we must remember that life goes on.