Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shineygal

Amy's 'tane odyssey

some background:

i've had mild acne, oily skin since i was in 5th grade. i clearly remember 5th grade picture day and me have a huge embarrasing cyst on the side of my nose.

i've struggled with is for years, using make-up, different oil-control products, pimple products, bcp's for years. oily skin is the worst. at HS i would drive home at lunch just so i could freshin-up (wash face, re-do make-up).

typically i had 1-2 cysts each month. they were painful and embarrassing.

so last yr i went to a pimple dr who accidentally prescribed me tane on my first visit. so instead of admitting his mistake he gave me a 6 month course of tane at 30 mg a day. my skin was flawless, non-oily, it was great. and then just half a week after my course ended, the oil returned. eusa_doh.gif

while i was on tane i had the normal side effects: dry lips, dryer skin and eyes, and sun sensitivity, and weight gain (but that may or may not be related to tane).

so i booked a derm appointment. she was very reluctant to prescribe me tane, and wanted to send me home with tazarac mad.gif. it took 11 months to get an appointment with her (this is canada for ya). so i convinced her to give me tane. she agreed. my first appointment with her was 3 weeks ago, she wanted to see me again yesterday and did blood work. and then next week i'm going to see her (i have to be on my period), and she's going to give me tane.

i'm a bit worried that i'm going to end up with a low, useless dose like last time. but hopefully that wont happen. i dont want to end up needing a 3rd course. i'm also worried about the initial break-out.

i guess this is week 0 or week -1? i have a few small pimples and 1 very persistant white head, large pores and blackheads on my nose. i dont get cysts like i used to, instead i get smaller pimples.

vive la tane.

~Amy

quick update:

i went to my derm appointment. the nurse was like 'oh, your skin looks really clear' and i was like 'it's my make-up!'. i was nervous the derm was going to change her mind about prescribing me tane.

the appointment took 75 minutes, mostly just waiting and waiting. i had a urine and blood test. i'm surprised they didnt want to take my fingerprints and have me biopsied as well. wink.gif

anyhoo, i got 60 mgs a day of tane and she said 4-6 months depending on how things go. that's twice the dose my old pimple dr gave me. biggrin.gif.

i'm happy as heck. im going to start tane on sunday. i'm kinda worried about the intial breakout though. good thing i dont have anything special planned for the next few weeks.

i'm so happy, la la la.. no more oily skin or pimples for me, la la la... (amy starts dancing a jig like ashley simpson). eusa_dance.gif

~Amy

nothign too exciting to report. i been on tane for a week now. i'm suppose to take 60 mg a day but i've only been taking 40mg because of the fear of the initial breakout.

my cheeks look like they may or may not break out. and i have 2 whiteheads on my forehead. nothing too bad. i have bangs anyways so it doesnt matter. i wonder if it's going to be smooth sailing from here? i wish i kept a log the last time i was on tane so i would know what week exactly i had my initial breakout.

the oiliness seems to have decreased. i'd say my skin is maybe 30% less oily. and my face has been somewhat flakey. last night i had to wear moisterizer on my face (that was probably the 1st time in my life that has happened to me). biggrin.gif

i really need to find a better cleanser. right now i'm using clean and clear sensitive skin foaming wash, but it's a bit drying. i've tried other cleansers but didnt like any of them. my favourite was olay foaming face wash, but they discontinued it confused.gif.

eusa_dance.gif

~Amy

week 2 i guess.

im only taking 40 mg a day still (suppose to be on 60). i'd say my skin is a good 50% less oily. even in the morning when i get up, i look pretty darn decent (i used to be a greasier than a mcdonald french fry).

i had quite a few white-heads, especially on my forehead. but they've really cleared up. i dont have any active acne now. whoo-hoo.

my side effects are worse this time around. last time my lips and eyes were slightly dry, now they're really dry. i have to use eye drops 3-4 times a day and my lips look like heck. i'm using lip smackers, but next time i go shopping i'm going to try something else. the corners of my lips are so sore that it hurts to open my mouth. kinda worrisome cause this is only week 2.

my skin is dry and i have to moisterize everyday eusa_dance.gif.

i have some anxiety about this drug, but i have anxiety about everything. i read some pretty scary stories about people going crazy on tane shock.gif. i also probably have OCD, so once i get a paranoid thought in my head it stays there ninja.gif. i should ask my dr if he'll give me some paxil, any thoughts? i was on it in highschool to help my anxiety. biggrin.gif

all in all though i think i'm better off (on tane). my confidence is slowly coming back (i was pretty unconfident to start with, but anyhoo), and i feel better about myself in general.

i'm looking forward to another pasty summer (i'm finnish and tanning on tane is out of the question).

~Amy

week 3 i guess.

i still have quite a few whiteheads, around 8 of them. before the tane i only had one or two. time to get out my good ol' trusty, rusty needle and do some poppin'..

my skin is a lot dryer. i dont even need to shampoo everyday. i can easily just shower and shampoo every other day. i like this new found freedom. i also only need to wash my face 2-3 times a day. at one point before the tane i was washing 5 times a day just to look decent.

i'm experimenting with different lip glosses and face washes to see what works well. i bought a few different products today so i'll report back if any of them are useless.

i feel pretty excited about a shine-free, pimple-free, pasty (im finnish) summer. smile.gif

~Amy

week 4

my skin is normal. zero oil. whoo-hoo. i have about 3 pimples on my forehead.

nothing too exciting to report. i found some nice products: st. ive's apricot radiance moisture rich cream cleanser - i use this in the a.m. for a face scrub and a lip scrub. it makes a great lip scrub if anyone's interested. and the price is cheap as well.

for lip balm i've been using blistex dct and blistix mint lip balm. they are both good and contain an spf. the dct one has cocoa butter and a few other nice ingredients.

for a face wash i'm using olay foaming face wash. i thought it was discontinued but i got lucky and found it at walmart. i find that cetaphil and most other cleansers dotn remove my make up, but the olay one does.

and for very dry skin, a good hand cream is glysomed.

eusa_dance.gif

oh yeah, i had a thought yesterday about tane. it's drying my skin, my eyes, my nose, my butt, everything. what if it's drying my brain? surprised.gif

~Amy

start of week 5:

my skin looks pretty good, except for a few whiteheads along my forehead and one by my mouth. the oil is completely gone. eusa_dance.gif

my lips look decent as well, they aint even slightly dry looking, thanks to that st ives product and blistix.

i had my derm appointment this morning. it took about an hour. i dont know why they are always over-booked. my appointment was for 8 am and the derm didnt see me til about 8:50 or so.

im quite a bit happier and a bit more confident than before my tane treatment. i just hope i dont relapse after my tane treatment. eusa_dance.gif

here are my appointment tips (to help get tane):

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...01entry629301

~Amy

week 6

nothing too exciting to report. my skin looks good, only 2 active pimples on my forehead. and all the blackheads on my nose are just coming out. they are half-way out and i pull them out with tweezers.

other than that: i've been having problems using the can, probably have a dry *bum* hole.

it's really great how the oil has disapeared. even first thing in the morning my skin is matte. whoo-hoo.

biggrin.gif

~Amy

week 8.

nothing new to report. i'm really happy with the tane.

it's sooo nice not having oily skin anymore - especially during the summer. it's like the oil used to trap the heat so i'd be extra miserable during the hot months. this feels so much more comfortable.

i've also lost 4 lbs since the start of my tane treatment eusa_dance.gif. so i guess my weight gain from the last time i was on tane wasnt tane related.

my red marks have faded a lot as well. i could almost go outside without makeup.

tane is my HG.

~Amy

Hey shineygal! I’m rreeeeaaalllllyyyy happy that you are making such great progress. Like you I have that nasty ‘morning oil’ when I wake up, but mine feels more like a Checkers potato fry than McDonalds. I’ve been keeping up with your log these past few days and just have a few questions:

If you had any indented scars (boxscars, icepicks) before taking tane, is it now helping purge them out from all the skin shedding you’re experiencing?

Are you eating a high-fat meal with the tane or just taking it alone (I read that tane absorbs better with a fatty meal)

What else besides the blistex are you doing to help with the side-effects?

And the MOST important, are you experiencing any hair loss or hair thinning?

Because who cares if you have clear skin when your balding! shock.gif To be serious, that’s scary. Dr. Phil has clear skin, but that’s about it. Thanks a bunch for taking the time to write this journal, and don’t worry if you don’t get a lot of replies, we here are all reading along and hoping your story ends well wub.gif

aaawwwwwww…

my scars aren't visable when i wear makeup. they are really superficial, i'm not sure what type they are.

they first few weeks i was on tane, EVERYTHING purged out of my skin. the black heads were half way out so i'd just tweeze them and my skin was flakey so that helped with the red marks.

i always take the tane with a fatty meal.

besides the blistex, i'm just using a lot of eye drops (5x a day), moisterizers, and sunscreen. im also careful to use gentle soaps. for hand soap i was baby body wash.

i havent noticed any hair thinning, amen to that sistah.

i think i am noticing some slight changes in my vision. not sure if it's just my imagination though. i might see an eye dr one of these days. i havent had my eyes checked in 8 yrs or so.

eusa_dance.gif

~Amy

week 9

my skin still looks great. nothing new to report.

and i think the problem w/ my eyes was just because i wasnt using enough drops. now i'm using drops about 10 times a day.

my skin is really fragile though. a few days ago i hit my hand on something and a bunch of skin just peeled. yuk.

i keep forgeting to take my full dose. so i'm probably only getting about 45 mg a day or so. i'm suppose to take 60. but whats the difference? if i'm having results why should i take a higher dose?

j'aime l'accutane. biggrin.gif

~Amy

probably just to keep it working? im really not sure. im going to the derm in a few weeks i think, gonna wear no makeup! harhar i want the tane!

week 10

my skin is clear today but the last week i've had a few really small pimples. i'm not concerned though.

other than that, i need to see an eye dr. we called one place and it was $90. $90?! i'd rather throw myself off a cliff! tee-hee, i'm going to call around next week and find someone cheaper.

i can see pretty much fine, but i get soo drowsy when i read. or could it just be the oprah book club faulkner series that's making me drowsy? eusa_eh.gif

and my throat's been a bit sore, not sure if that's tane related or not. it could just be allergies. we're getting rid of our carpeting so if it's allergy-related that will help. imo, nothing is grosser than carpeting.

eusa_dance.gif

~Amy

week 11

nothing exciting to report. i'm pmsing so usually i'd have a huge cyst to deal with right now, not anymore. biggrin.gif

and i went to an eye dr and do need glasses for reading mostly. i'm going to fill my prescription tomorrow. i hope having glasses will increase my productivity. i'm doing home study courses and not getting much done just due to the drowsiness from reading. i dont think my eye problems are tane related, except the dryness. party much everyone else in my family has glasses. and the dr said it was more the shape of my eyes that were causing problems.

if anyone is thinking about tane, i'd say go for it! it's really improved my life.

~Amy

some background:

i've had mild acne, oily skin since i was in 5th grade. i clearly remember 5th grade picture day and me have a huge embarrasing cyst on the side of my nose.

i've struggled with is for years, using make-up, different oil-control products, pimple products, bcp's for years. oily skin is the worst. at HS i would drive home at lunch just so i could freshin-up (wash face, re-do make-up).

typically i had 1-2 cysts each month. they were painful and embarrassing.

so last yr i went to a pimple dr who accidentally prescribed me tane on my first visit. so instead of admitting his mistake he gave me a 6 month course of tane at 30 mg a day. my skin was flawless, non-oily, it was great. and then just half a week after my course ended, the oil returned.  eusa_doh.gif

while i was on tane i had the normal side effects: dry lips, dryer skin and eyes, and sun sensitivity, and weight gain (but that may or may not be related to tane).

so i booked a derm appointment. she was very reluctant to prescribe me tane, and wanted to send me home with tazarac  mad.gif. it took 11 months to get an appointment with her (this is canada for ya). so i convinced her to give me tane. she agreed. my first appointment with her was 3 weeks ago, she wanted to see me again yesterday and did blood work. and then next week i'm going to see her (i have to be on my period), and she's going to give me tane.

i'm a bit worried that i'm going to end up with a low, useless dose like last time. but hopefully that wont happen. i dont want to end up needing a 3rd course. i'm also worried about the initial break-out.

i guess this is week 0 or week -1? i have a few small pimples and 1 very persistant white head, large pores and blackheads on my nose. i dont get cysts like i used to, instead i get smaller pimples.

vive la tane.

~Amy

i agree with you.. i have recalcitrant nodulocystic acne and when i started reading these forums people think they have horrible skin when they are normal people sad.gif

i agree that accutane is a bit risky, but well worth the risk imo.

i had horribly oily skin. i'm talking wet with oil, make-up sliding off, feel physically uncomfortable (what's worse than oily skin on a hot day?), had anxiety because of it, arranged my schedule around it (making sure i never leaved home for more than a few hours), etc.

if i had hyperhydrosis, instead of oily skin, i'd probably be able to get ETS surgery, which is quite risky. but with oily skin, most dr's are like "have you tried (such and such) oil control product?". just completely insensitive, whoopidity-do-da-day - oily skin.

my confidence is up, i can leave the house for a good 8 hrs without worrying, my social anxiety and general anxiety is down. life is better with tane.

another complaint of mine, is that bcp's are more risky than tane, especially diane-35 and the patch. but they are handed out like candy.

~Amy

week 12:

nothing exciting to report. no pimples or anything. i'm really happy. it kind of sucks that i havent been able to tan this summer cause of tane. i'm finnish so i'm really pale already, without a tan i'm practically albino.

~Amy

week 13

nothing new to report. just that i'm feeling a lot better about myself. i feel somewhat like getting a job or going back to school. but that's a huge step for me (been unemployed forever). my bf has a good paying job, so i dont really need one. but it is nice to have the option to go out and do something.

i need a few more highschool credits to get into the real decent courses at college (dental hygiene and other top-paying health related careers). so maybe i'll do that and sign up for college next yr. the main thing (besides shyness) that was holding me back was my oily skin. i didn't want to leave the house for more than a few hours. a couple yrs ago i ended up taking this crappy program at a pricey college that's close to my house just so i'd be close enough to drive home at lunch and wash my face.

freedom at last!

~Amy