Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay so I wrote a little while back and said that the retin a micro that my DR. gave me was not working - so it might be accutane on my next visit. I went this morning and for the first time gave me accutane as an option - b/c I wasn't responding to other things. I took the option. So I start on 40mg once a day for the first month, then 60 mg. for the rest of teh treatment (if I don't have anything bad happen on 40 mg then he will up it to 60). I did the blood tests- and he said that they only take two days to come back so could start as early as Wed.

Two questions

1) I'm 5'6", 140 lbs. female do you think the dosage of 40mg(the first month) - 60 mg (the last five months) seems right?

2) He is having me take 40 mg. once a day - i read somewhere it's better to take it twice a day - do you think the once a day will still be okay?

It's funny my face looks horrible but I'm happy at the thought I'm doing something that will help!

I was on 60mg for the first month and 80 for the rest and im 5'11 155lbs. So your dosage sounds about right. I don't know why your derm would have you take it once a day as opposed to twice, I'v never heard of that. I always assumed taking it twice a day would be more effective as you get a steady supply of accutane that way. I could be wrong though I haven't done any research into it. Just remember to take it with food as it is fat soluble.

good luck

Okay so I wrote a little while back and said that the retin a micro that my DR. gave me was not working - so it might be accutane on my next visit.  I went this morning and for the first time gave me accutane as an option - b/c I wasn't responding to other things.  I took the option.  So I start on 40mg once a day for the first month, then 60 mg. for the rest of teh treatment (if I don't have anything bad happen on 40 mg then he will up it to 60).  I did the blood tests- and he said that they only take two days to come back so  could start as early as Wed. 

Two questions

1) I'm 5'6", 140 lbs. female do you think the dosage of 40mg(the first month) - 60 mg (the last five months) seems right?

2) He is having me take 40 mg. once a day - i read somewhere it's better to take it twice a day - do you think the once a day will still be okay? 

It's funny my face looks horrible but I'm happy at the thought I'm doing something that will help!

I was on 60mg for the first month and 80 for the rest and im 5'11 155lbs. So your dosage sounds about right. I don't know why your derm would have you take it once a day as opposed to twice, I'v never heard of that. I always assumed taking it twice a day would be more effective as you get a steady supply of accutane that way. I could be wrong though I haven't done any research into it. Just remember to take it with food as it is fat soluble.

good luck

You started at 60 and accutane only comes in 10/20/40 dosages so you you had to take two pills I assume.  He said when I go to 60 we can break it up morning and night but that it's not necessary for this first month at 40.

You only weigh 10lbs more than I weigh and we are on almost the exact same course (40mg for the first month, 60mg for the remaining 4 months rather than 5).

What matters is the cumulative dosage. It should be between 120-160mg/kg. So, for you that's between 7,600mg and 10,000mg all together. Your cumulative dose will actually be more than that (10,200mg), so I wouldn't worry.

I just wanted to add that I am also taking my 40mg pill once/day. I asked my derm about this because I've heard so much about splitting it up and she said that with this low of a dose it's no problem. Most people who are splitting up their doses are taking 40mg at once anyway (40/40 or 40/20 or whatever).

Thank you so much for all your responses. I feel better about the prescription. He said if I was 180 taking 80 mg that he would split it up 40/40, but that where I'm taking 40mg I'm okay - and again that we can split it up when i take 60 (does anyone know if you just do 20/40).

Also he told me (but of course I knew from reading this site) that you take it w/ food (fatty foods). I'm dieting so I'm on a low calorie diet - can anyone tell me what kind of foods are good to take it w/ - but that I won't have to go off the diet.

One more thing - once I go on it (sometime this week just waiting for blood tests), do I stop all topicals. I know to stop my oral medicine, but do I stop all my topicals.

Trust your doctor. I took 40 mg 3 times a week to start with and I had huge improvements with no side affects (dry lips, etc.). Good luck!

well that was fast...my blood tests are in (from yesterday) and I'm good to start the tane. I will go get them today after work and take my first one tonight.