Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well, I have had acne since I was about 10 years old. I got my first scar around that time, which has never gone away. It's right between my eyebrows. I am 18 now and my acne is obviously much worse than it was when I was 10. I get cysts on my scalp. They take forever to go away. I basically have to just scratch them open and pray they'll go away. I get them on my back also. These are very big and very painful. I can't wear an open back dress or anything like that due to scars I have.

I have seen about four different doctors trying to treat my acne... no one could help. First my pediatrician gave me Differin, when I was 13 or 14. It didn't help. It made me worse. I went and saw a dermatologist who took care of me when I had staph infection as a kid and took care of my much older sister's acne. I was pretty bad then. She tried all different kinds of antibotics and I used lots of different creams. All of this helped me for a while, but then it didn't anymore. My mom was sick of me not being helped, so we stopped seeing her. We soon went to another dermatologist, who we soon found out specialized in skin cancer, not acne. I got there and he asked me what I was there for. At the time, I was not badly broken out, but I was a bit. I told him for my acne and he looked at me like I was crazy. Needless to say, we didn't go back and see him again.

Now this finally gets me to my current dermatologist. He is very thorough. He checked out what was going on with my scalp and with my back. He tried some of the antibotics my other dermatologists didn't prescribe. I tried Duricef. It helped me for a while, but in the end, it was like everything else and just stopped working for me. So he kept adding more skin creams and just kept me on the Duricef. I tried Retina, but it dried my skin out too badly. I tried Clinadamyicin (sp, I'm sure) and then Benzaclin. Benzaclin worked well at first, but stopped. I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and I have been on Yasmin for a year and a half now. The only reason we found that out is because of my abdominal pain (which earlier on, I was also diagnosed with Inflammatory Bowel Disease, which I will get to later) and my hormones were super out of whack. He was thinking that maybe it was due to my hormones still being out of wack, even though I am on Yasmin. He told me to try this drug called Aldactone, which is normally used for high blood pressure and a diaretic. It helped me quite well at first and I lost weight. I continued using Benzaclin. I started breaking out again. He said he was going to up the dose of the Aldactone and wanted me to try Retina again. March, my face broke out to the worst it has ever been. I was getting new pimples on my face every day. My back acne went psycho and so did my scalp. I saw my gyne before I saw him again and she told me that Aldactone would make me break out more before it helped, so to give it time. I tried. I really did. It got worse. I looked in the mirror one day and I burst into tears. My face was full of pimples. My chin and forehead looked like hell. If it wasn't pimples, it was red spots, everywhere. I was so depressed I almost didn't even want to leave the house. I was so embarrassed by how my face looked. The next day, I went downstairs and my mom looked at my face. I started crying. I couldn't take the acne anymore. My acne had never been so bad. I wished that my face went back to what it was when I had first seen this last dermatologist. I called him and I told him that I was very upset with how my face looked, that it wasn't helping me anymore. He told me that he wanted me to seriously consider taking Accutane, because nothing ever helps. He said until I go see him, he was going to prescribe me a Z-pac and hope it helped. I stopped using the Benzaclin. My mom and my sister had a better idea, to kill the pimples and the red spots, Hydrogen Peroxide. I went and I saw my dermatologist this Tuesday. He told me it was time to consider Accutane. I said yes, that I couldn't take this anymore. He warned me about the depression/suicide. What makes me depressed is my acne. Then he said what he was most worried about with me is the fact that I have Inflammatory Bowel Disease. People with it are not supposed to take Accutane. We had talked to my gastroentrologist and he said I could take it. My dermatologist was a bit weary still, but he gave me the script. I could take 60 mg a day, but he wants to start me off slow so my stomach doesn't get messed up. I am currently taking 20 mg a day. I had to have a pregnancy test (like anyone would want me with the way my face looks right now), the triglycerides, and something else. I have to go back every month to get the script and have a pregnancy test. I just hope this helps. I am so sick of stuff that doesn't help.

To make things even better, I work at a hospital, so we have our own little pharmacy. I was going to start taking it Wednesday night, but the idiots ordered the wrong drug. Needless to say, I was a bit pissed. My mom and I go in to get it on Thursday, give them some time to get it together and everything. We go and the guy tells me he lost my script. eusa_wall.gif You have no clue how pissed off I was. I wanted to cry and strangle this guy. My dermatologist isn't in the office on Thursdays, so it's not like he could call and tell him to give it to me. So the guy apologizes and asks me if I remembered how I was supposed to take it. I did and I told him how I take it. He thankfully gave me the pills, but he has to get a new script from my doctor now since he lost it.

I woke up on Saturday morning to see that my lips were a bit red and swollen. Nothing major, I just put some Aquaphor on them and I didn't have any trouble after that. I am starting to break out a bit (well, more than usual) it seems like. I am wondering if it's from the Accutane or from being on such a low dose. I wonder when the doctor ups the dose if my face will break out again, because it seems like he's going to do it in three steps.

My cheeks are starting to get a bit red. I am breaking out more and more quickly. Not very pretty at all. All the blackheads on my nose are coming up. Pretty gross. I've gained 5 pounds, apparently. I think it's from being off the Aldactone, because I lost 5 pounds when I started it and now I gained it back. Damn it. Does anyone know if this drug causes weight gain or loss? I am hoping loss... I can't believe I magically gained 5 pounds. I was 133, then I got my period and was 135, and now I'm 138. Crazy. I guess I need to work out. Damn weight gain.

I put some cortaid on my cheeks and the redness went down right away. I wasn't sure if it was my cheeks being stupid (they turn red sometimes) or dryness. Either way, they're better now. The silly sore on my nose is healing quicker than before. Once it is done, I plan on using a Biore on it, to rip those blackheads out... hopefully I'm allowed to do that, but if not, ehh, too bad? Heh... I'm too scared of getting another pimple on my nose like I just had. That was aweful. I don't think I have any new pimples today, but I have all the old red spots and the old pimples still up, so I'm still not all that happy.

Hi there , Good luck with Accutane eusa_angel.gif

I finally got my derm to prescribe Accutane (40mg a day)but I'm a little bit concerned about the side effects and also the initial breakout (I red that it gets worse before it gets better). How bad was your acne? do u have any pic? is it getting any better? any side effect besides redness and dryness?

My problem is my left cheek ,the rest of my face is pretty much clear now, but I'm scared of getting new pimples all over my face if I take accutane.

btw I used Retin A for 2 months and I noticed that it helped a Lot with my blackheads and white heads, though it didnt do much with my cysts. (yeah my face was a mess .... Cysts, black heads, white heads, pimples, big Cysts, etc)

My acne isn't too bad. Mine just won't respond to anything. It's not like I have barely any, I get lots of cysts and whiteheads and blackheads all over, I just don't have the really deep acne that makes nodules. ::Knocks on wood.:: My main problem areas recently have been my forehead and chin, also my back and scalp. I don't have any pictures because I avoid the camera in general, especially when I'm broken out. My initial breakout hasn't been too bad, but it's only been a week today. It seems like it always has, to me at least. I am on a low dose though. Today my lips cracked rather badly though and bled. Not fun. My hands have become all cut up from work and my hands being dry. My cheeks turned red again too and my skin is starting to become really dry, not my face just yet (I have too much grease in my skin, lol), just my body.

Well, after the sore on my nose healed, I got a very badly swollen cyst on my forehead... it hurt so bad and it still does. I had to have my mom pop it. I couldn't take it. It's still swollen now and is another damn sore. I am aggravated. My lips are very chapped and the cracks are taking a bit too long to heal for my taste... I have a guy that I'm interested in, so I don't want to lather on Aquaphor incase we kiss. That would not be fun. I don't know. I just want my stupid acne to go away!

Everyone says it gets bad at first, but then of coarse gets better, so we have to hang in there. And btw, hows your diet? It seems eating really heathy makes acne heal very fast while on accutane. Seriously, I remember some days I would get a small breakout, and it would be completely gone the next morning, while when I eat poorly, I wake up the next morning and its worse. I cant explain that very well, but I think you get the idea. So good luck, you might want to give changing your diet a try, if you havnt already.

My diet is... not so good. I can't diet at all, I am way more of an exercise person... What kind of a diet or what kind of foods are good to eat for healing? I have another very large sore on my forehead that I want gone ASAP. I am really starting to break out. eusa_wall.gif

Problem with that is I can't drink plain water, even with lemon and whatnot, I can't stand it. I have GERD and I get this thing called water brash and whenever I drink water, because of it, I get very nauseous. It's not the water brash itself making me nauseous... well, yeah, it is, but when I get nauseous, I get water brash and then it makes me nauseous when I drink water. I do drink a lot of pop though and I know I need to start eating more fruits, because I haven't been. I also have noticed that I do eat a good amount of diary and I don't believe I'm allergic to any foods because I had some testing done to see if I was allergic to rye, etc, and I believe it came back negative. I just want to know what kinds of foods will help out with healing quicker and then once this coarse is done, I will work on eating right to keep my skin clear, but now I'm just more worried about healing faster. Is it all fruits in general? I have some pears upstairs... hmm... Does anyone know of some good concealers that help with healing? It would be much appreciated!

Well, this is now my second week. My sister said today I look "a bit clearer". I don't see where she's coming from, but okay. At least I am not getting a new white in the center pimple every morning when I wake up. I guess that's something to be happy about. Apparently the cysts on my back just come right off with a light rub and one of the pimples on my chin did the same. I feel a lot of little bumps on my chin and they itch a bit. My chest seems like it's starting to break out. Side effects... my lips are very dry, my face is starting to get dry, my skin in general is dry, yet sometimes my skin gets super greasy out of nowhere. It's very strange.

Hey babe, you sound like a trooper. You're going to rid yourself of this disease, I promise. Don't get down while on the accutane. Just remember that in the end, it will all be worth it when you're all clear. I'm currently on my second month of tane and I haven't seen much results yet, but I'm confident that this will work. My side effects have simmered down since my body got used to it, so now I'm just waiting for the medicine to store up in my system and start to suck up this stupid sebum. Stay strong and let's keep each other posted on our road to clear skin. eusa_boohoo.gif And remember, no matter how bad you think you have something, someone always has it worse. You should read my tane journal. Cya later

Thank you! I really hope I can rid myself of this stupid acne. I have put up with it for far too long. I was thinking of Accutane many years ago, but I wish I was as clear as I was then. It sucks. I have avoided looking into mirrors lately because... I just don't want to see it. I'm more self-conscious because I used to get made fun of it as a young kid, because my friends often tell me they don't think I have that bad of acne (I do wear make-up though too). Maybe I don't... no, I know I do. Mine isn't really super severe, but mine is getting there and it won't respond to anything else. My mom said that my acne is getting a bit better and the pimples come out more easily. I have noticed the problem with redness taking a long time to go down though and it is aggravating. What's weird is, on the tops of my wrists, I got a super dry skin thing going on. It came on randomly and it's taking a while to go away. Also... has anyone noticed like, little bumps forming on their face? No one else notices them but me. When I look closely I can see them and I can feel them too. I just noticed this yesterday or Friday. They are super tiny, but I'm just curious as to what they are. Are they dried up pimples or what? I am getting pimples on my chest too... it must be like the super initial breakout I am getting now. It isn't too bad, I am going to have to say. I just want to be "cured" already though. My mom told me that though, that someone always has it worse when I would start crying... when I was crying, it didn't help, but I know a few of my friends who have it worse than I do.

Thank you!  I really hope I can rid myself of this stupid acne.  I have put up with it for far too long.  I was thinking of Accutane many years ago, but I wish I was as clear as I was then.  It sucks.  I have avoided looking into mirrors lately because... I just don't want to see it.  I'm more self-conscious because I used to get made fun of it as a young kid, because my friends often tell me they don't think I have that bad of acne (I do wear make-up though too).  Maybe I don't... no, I know I do.  Mine isn't really super severe, but mine is getting there and it won't respond to anything else.  My mom said that my acne is getting a bit better and the pimples come out more easily.  I have noticed the problem with redness taking a long time to go down though and it is aggravating.  What's weird is, on the tops of my wrists, I got a super dry skin thing going on.  It came on randomly and it's taking a while to go away.  Also... has anyone noticed like, little bumps forming on their face?  No one else notices them but me.  When I look closely I can see them and I can feel them too. I just noticed this yesterday or Friday.  They are super tiny, but I'm just curious as to what they are.  Are they dried up pimples or what?  I am getting pimples on my chest too... it must be like the super initial breakout I am getting now.  It isn't too bad, I am going to have to say.  I just want to be "cured" already though.  My mom told me that though, that someone always has it worse when I would start crying... when I was crying, it didn't help, but I know a few of my friends who have it worse than I do.

I just realized this, I am doing better, initial breakout or not. I do not wake up every morning with one or two large pimples with huge white centers. I do have my share of red spots and I am getting pimples, but they aren't as horrible? I have two now. One on the side of my chin and one by my hairline. The little bumps on my cheek and chin are SLOWLY going away. I figure they are dried up pimples. I do have red spots, a good amount of them... not really going away too much or if they are, very slowly. I put Cortaid on them and I think it is helping with the redness. I did get a really big, painful pimple on my chest though. sad.gif I have a few tiny ones on my chest too. Hopefully those will just go away. I have been depressed (no suidical thoughts or anything like that), but just as much as usual. I'm under a LOT of stress right now, so I'm not too worried about it being from the drug. In fact, I know it's not from the drug, it's just all the stupid stress. I would be less depressed too if those red marks would go away and the pimples would just stop coming up all together, but I know I have to be patient, it is helping. I'm just angry with the drug for the dry lips and the fact that I have to wait like a year from now to get my eyebrows waxed. I wanted to go and get them waxed for the first time right before I went on Accutane, but noooooo, then I got put on it and found out I can't do that. Damn it. I haven't had too much of a problem with dry skin, surprisingly. Just a bit on and off, it's more my lips being dry. I'm a very greasy person. Lol.

I have to see my dermatologist on Tuesday to get my blood drawn and tell him what's been going on with my stomach (which has been nothing! ::knocks on wood!:smile.gif . I figure he will probably up my dose to 40 mg a day. Will I probably get a break out again when he ups my dose? If I do... I may cry. sad.gif

hey there, stay tough. i seem to be at the same place you are on your road to clear skin with accutane. these side affects are nothing, so we must make this sacrifice to better ourselves for the long run.

i went and got my eyebrows waxxed while i was on tane and i didn't know. it hurt so bad. i had red marks for like 3 days afterwards. i was extremely depressed then. i was so glad when they faded away. there's some thing you can do to get your eyebrows done that will be ok. just ask the salon if they do eyebrows with a thread. there's no wax involved. and it will take care of that problem. other than that you seem to be doing great! eusa_clap.gif keep us posted...

I spoke way too soon. I woke up this morning with two new pimples. One that was there got very white in the center and some of the little bumps on my chin turned into white centers. Ahhhhhhhhhhh! eusa_wall.gif

I spoke way too soon.  I woke up this morning with two new pimples.  One that was there got very white in the center and some of the little bumps on my chin turned into white centers.  Ahhhhhhhhhhh!  eusa_wall.gif

I'm still in week three, Thursday will be the start of four... I think. Lol. I go see my dermatologist today. He's probably going to up me to 40 mg. Wish me luck! Oh and also, does anyone think Accutane maybe makes them a bit more anxious than usual? It's probably not Accutane, because I am under a super big amount of stress, but I'm just curious. Thanks!

My dermatologist is still keeping me on 20 mg a day. He said that because I am already experiencing dry skin issues (he said the stuff on my wrist is a form of eczema, that should go away once the weather stops being so crazy). He's having me use this old cream for my acne he gave me a while back (actually, it was more for my cheeks randomly turning very warm and very red, but yeah). LOL. He also said he still wants to be careful because of my inflammatory bowel disease, even though Accutane has not caused me any problems in that area. My joints have been hurting a LOT though (I always did have a problem with joint pains, but not as often as I have been getting them). My knees and ankles mostly, sometimes my wrists though. He told me that the red spots on my face should start fading away soon. Yay! He said the next time I see him, he will more than likely up my dose to 40 mg a day. Oh and he said my blood work is perfect.

I have noticed that now that I take Accutane, I am a LOT less greasy. If I didn't shower within 24 hours, sometimes even less, my hair and skin would get very greasy. Now I can wait longer than a day if I don't feel like taking a shower right away and I'm not greasy at all. It's so nice! Also, one of the bad parts, my skin is scratching very easily. It's mainly my hands and arms, because of the work I do. At the same time though, the new pimples that come up come out VERY easily. I didn't realize how many tiny deep whiteheads I had in my chin. It's soooo gross. They keep coming up one by one, but at a lot slower pace now. They're finally almost gone.

Problem with that is I can't drink plain water, even with lemon and whatnot, I can't stand it.  I have GERD and I get this thing called water brash and whenever I drink water, because of it, I get very nauseous.  It's not the water brash itself making me nauseous... well, yeah, it is, but when I get nauseous, I get water brash and then it makes me nauseous when I drink water.  I do drink a lot of pop though and I know I need to start eating more fruits, because I haven't been.  I also have noticed that I do eat a good amount of diary and I don't believe I'm allergic to any foods because I had some testing done to see if I was allergic to rye, etc, and I believe it came back negative.  I just want to know what kinds of foods will help out with healing quicker and then once this coarse is done, I will work on eating right to keep my skin clear, but now I'm just more worried about healing faster.  Is it all fruits in general?  I have some pears upstairs... hmm...  Does anyone know of some good concealers that help with healing?  It would be much appreciated!

Hey, I have a couple questions. My mom really wants me to go on accutane... and Ive been resistant, but nothing is working against my acne.

Do you wear contacts? If so... did you have to stop wearing them?

Has your face become dry and pealy at all?

I totally didnt pay attention during your bio... are you m or f? if Female... do you wear makeup while on accutane?

If you cant tell... im so concerned about my appearance, lol.

I am a female. I do wear make-up, more so in the past months because of how bad my acne has been, but I still have been wearing it while on Accutane, definitely. I wear contacts, but honestly... I haven't put them in since November of last year and I just stick to glasses. My skin has not become very dry while on it, but I always put lotion on my face before applying make-up (which is about... three or more times a week). You have to wear an SPF while you are on it, because you become more sensitive to the sun. The only problem I have really had is the dry lips, but they haven't even been that bad. My skin used to be very greasy, but now it's nice and smooth, not greasy at all.