Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tommy_boi

Need to share my thoughts with you!!!

First of all i would like to say sorry if this is in the wrong place,

Ok there is something i need to get of my mind, i was speaking with my mom and dad tonight about my acne, i was trying to get some history on the family acne, you know to see why i have it? if you know what i mean, i asked my dad if he had it, and he said he only had a few spots on his chin, and he did have it on his back and chest like me, but not as bad as me, and he cleared up around 23, but i have it bad on my face, chest, and back, he said he was clear on his face apart from only a couple spots on chin, also my mom, i asked her and she only suffers with spots on her cheek now and again, but again hasn't suffered from acne, my sister too doesn't have acne or spots full stop, so why me?, why do i have it so so bad has it doesn't seem like it was bad with my dad or anyone else, JUST ME! do u think i will ever grow out of it? i'm 20 now and had it since i was 14, i was completely china doll clear upto then.

Thank you

First of all i would like to say sorry if this is in the wrong place,

Ok there is something i need to get of my mind, i was speaking with my mom and dad tonight about my acne, i was trying to get some history on the family acne, you know to see why i have it? if you know what i mean, i asked my dad if he had it, and he said he only had a few spots on his chin, and he did have it on his back and chest like me, but not as bad as me, and he cleared up around 23, but i have it bad on my face, chest, and back, he said he was clear on his face apart from only a couple spots on chin, also my mom, i asked her and she only suffers with spots on her cheek now and again, but again hasn't suffered from acne, my sister too doesn't have acne or spots full stop, so why me?, why do i have it so so bad has it doesn't seem like it was bad with my dad or anyone else, JUST ME! do u think i will ever grow out of it? i'm 20 now and had it since i was 14, i was completely china doll clear upto then.

Thank you

You have to take into consideration things were different when your parents were kids. Their diets weren't necessarily the same as theirs. Over the years American's diets have worseneed, we now eat far more processed food, fast food, and lack of nutritious meals. The air 40 years ago was not nearly as polluted as it is now, if that's even a factor. You also have to take into consideration other factors that may be different between you and your parents, stress, what they used to wash their face, sleep patterns, there's so many factors.

Thanks for the replys, basically all i'm saying is i dont think this acne i have is fully genetic, if thats the right word, and i'm hoping it will go with age, me being 20 now and all that, i never knew puberty or my hormones was still active at 20 years of age, thought it all died down before this? what age is normal for men for all this too have settled down? i'm starting my regimen soon so this should do more good for my skin until i grow out of it hopefully, i also suffer with really greasy/oily skin what do you think that is?.

thanks

According to Dr. Fulton, one of the most popular derms in the world males grow out of acne around 25 on averaga. There are many adults in their 30's and 40's with acne though. Oily skin is due to overactive sebacious glands, which are also causing your acne.

Tom,

I will share a bit of my family's history with you. My dad had 3 brothers and one sister (total of 5 kids in the family). Out of all of them, only my dad and his sister had horrible acne. The other 3 brothers never did. This was back when they did not have much to treat it with. My dad's sister's kids (my cousins), all had horrible acne as teens, and I am not sure when or if they grew out of it, as I never see them anymore. My dad and his sister had acne well into adulthood, in fact, my dad probably had bad acne until his 40's. On his face and back mostly, very bad scarring and pitting. My mom has what I consider pretty normal skin, occasional breakouts, mostly clear.

Now, I have 2 sisters, and neither one of them ended up with an acne problem, but I did. My 2 sisters have the occasional zit like most everyone, but I somehow got "my dad's skin". It started at age 12, and I am 35 now and still have to be very diligent with treating it, else it would be out of control.

I thank God that I live in an age where we have medications and treatments for acne. I have seen the effects of my dad and his sister and her kids (because they were so much older than me), having bad scarring and pitting because back then (in the 1950's and 60's) there wasn't much to treat acne with. So you mostly just lived with it. And yes, for some fortunate people, they do grow out of it, but I have seen first hand that alot of people don't "just grow out of it" whether you treat it or not.

So, treating your skin with appropriate acne medications is not going to stop you from growing out of it, if that is how your life is supposed to go. But if you have acne, and for some reason it is not in your destiny to grow out of it anytime soon, your best bet is to try to keep it under control in the meantime, to minimize possible scarring and permanent skin damage. None of us knows when we will grow out of it.

I know, for my own personal situation, not treating it would have resulted in horrible scarring and pitting and suffering with breakouts well into my 40's, because that is what happened to my father and my aunt. They really didn't have any choice but to take the "wait and see if we grow out of it" stance, simply because there weren't any good effective remedies back then.

And as a result, my skin is so much more healthy looking and smoother, and hardly any scarring, thanks to effective treatments I don't have to look like my dad and aunt did all their lives, either with a face full of painful zits, or a face left with horrible scarring and pitting.

I am thankful I have the medications available to keep this horrible disease under control, if and when I do ever grow out of it. Because right now, I have no idea if I ever will.

So anyway, my point is that while some people like to say that you will eventually grow out of it, does not necessarily mean you have to just deal with it and wait it out, because you just never know WHEN you will grow out of it. And treating it can save your self-esteem, social life, and the structure of your skin. I have seen what NOT treating acne can do to people within my own family. And I feel very fortunate to have been born in an era where we have a choice and are not forced to wait to grow out of it, else I would still be sitting around with horrible acne, and likely sever scarring and pitting like my father and aunt.

So, sometimes there is no obvious reason why some of us within a family get acne, and others don't. My dad and all his siblings were raised in the same house, ate the same stuff, etc. And only 2 out of the 5 had acne. Same with me and my sisters, we all ate the same stuff, lived in the same house, had the exact same parents, and only I ended up with the chronic acne.

I personally don't believe for a second that using appropriate acne medications keeps a person from growing out of it, or prolongs the resolution of acne.

Anyway, I hope this helps you a bit about wondering why you got it and no one else really did. Sometimes I think it is just our own body chemistry and predisposition.

Yea, it sucks bad, but luckily there are effective treatments for those of us who don't want to wait it out and see the damage that acne can leave in it's wake.

Thanks for your reply, basically the only reason why i wrote what i did was to ask others if i should grow out of it by the normal age men grow out of it, around 22-25, my dads acne really wasn't as bad as you say yours was in your post, he said it was completely clear by the time he was 23, and he thinks he only got it due too where he worked at the time, he sweated alot, but he said he only had the odd spot on his chin and that was it for him, he was fine completely clear from 23 onwards, my sis is clear, and my mom only suffers with the odd spot, so i think its not in our family genes at all so i'm hoping mine will go away by 22-25 hopefully earlier with treatment and i just have bad teenage acne, which started when i was 14.

thanks

Tom, with your family history there is an excellent chance you could grow out of it as you approach your mid-20's, and I certainly hope that is the case for you.

But, I just wanted you to know that there is nothing wrong with treating it, while you are waiting to grow out of it. We are luckier than our parents, in that we have effective treatments now, that can keep it all under control until that wonderful day when we do finally grow out of it.

Good luck to you!

Thanks for that post, that was a nice post eusa_clap.gif i know this may sound like a stupid question, but when will we know when we grow out of it, will it be over a period of months or years our acne just naturally gets better.?

thanks

Heck, I don't know. I wish I did! I expect when one grows out of it, it is a gradual thing, the zits just stop coming so frequently until you realize they're just not a problem anymore. I think what Dan does is ever so often, he stops the regimen to see if he still needs it, and so far he still needs it so he keeps on.

Same with me, except I did a round of Accutane about 6 1/2 years ago, and it cleared my skin right up. Ah, it was nice to not be oily and not to have to worry about zits anymore. That lasted about 4 years, then it gradually started getting oilier, then began getting pimples again, etc. So that I had to begin aggressively treating again with otc products to keep it under control. It is nowhere near as bad as before, but still a nuisance. No one would guess I have an acne problem for the most part, I am diligent about treating it. But, as far as growing out of it, I am still waiting.........

Hey, when you DO grow out of it, come back here and tell us all how it happened.

I suppose those who have grown out of it, don't visit this board anymore.

Yeah your right they probably don't visit anymore, but i think if i DO grow out of it i will still come back here and lend a hand too all the people still suffering as i know how they feel as i would of gone through it myself and i might be able to lend some tips. eusa_angel.gif

thanks