Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spotz n dotz

THE SKIN BLEACHING DEBATE

Do you think it's wrong to use skin bleach to lighten your complexion?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it's wrong to use skin bleach to lighten your complexion?

• Yes
    • No
    • Indifferent

Here's the debate:

I replied to the thread entitled "I'm using the papya soap" posted by filipino. It's a long thread, but if you read the whole thing, you'll find that filipino and others refer to to soap and it's lightening effect. They mention becoming pale as their goal, one even mentioned that even though the marks have not gone away, they're still getting paler or whiter (and are happy about that).

I then reply that it's sad to see people still hung up on the white=beauty standard, on and on...

Presrox replies, if people want to whiten their skin let them, it doesn't make them wrong or vein...(and was quite upset at my response I must say)

I don't know about you, but to me my antennas raise up whenever I hear about skin bleaching. So many people of color (African, Asian, Latinos, etc...) destroy themselves, their skin, their esteem because of the social implications that these products claims to achieve.

Anyway, I'm not raising this issue to judge or condemn, but I think it's important that we discuss.

NOTE: I encourage you to read the filipino post fully in order to get the full jist of the debate.

If people want to "bleach" their skin because it makes them happy, then that's fine. It doesn't really matter to me. However, I think people should learn to appreciate what they were born with. Not just skin color, but eye color, hair color, etc.

I have lightly tanned skin, wavy dark brown hair, and dark brown eyes to match. I admit, I was one of those people who was like, "OMG! I want light skin and colored eyes!". But now I really, *really* like the way I am. It makes me different from other people -- a real individual. And I'm not saying that liking my own appearance makes me an individual.

Anyway, light or tan skin... it doesn't really matter. No skin color is "better" than one another. But to some people, they want to change their skin color because they believe it will make them look better.

That's just what I think. I'm not saying anyone is wrong or anything, so yeah... don't get angry with me or anything. Heh.

I see it as no different really to having curly hair and wishing it was straight or having small breasts and wanting them bigger. In an ideal world everyone would be happy with what they have but instead most people seem to have an ideal they don't live up to. In a way it’s fortunate that something easy like a relatively cheap bar of papaya soap can help to make someone happier about their skin.

Edit: I am not against skin bleaching or bleaching one’s hair for that matter if one really desires to, but I am against those pressures in society that can lead towards or encourage feelings of inadequacy.

it seems that darker people want to get lighter and pale people want to get tan. what the hell's going on? anyway, i don't think those things really make your actual skin lighter, i think they fade dark marks. but i don't know for sure.

it seems that darker people want to get lighter and pale people want to get tan. what the hell's going on?  anyway, i don't think those things really make your actual skin lighter, i think they fade dark marks.  but i don't know for sure.

I saw an item on ABC's 20/20 a few weeks back. They did a study in which participants were shown pictures of people of various skin colors and they were asked to rate the "models" on how handsome/beautiful/successful etc. the participants perceived each model to be. The results were that people of lighter skin were seen as being more beautiful, successful in life etc.

BUT the kicker was some of the models had 2 pictures in the study. One picture was digitally enhanced to make them appear darker skinned and others were made more lighter skinned. And the results were the same...the lighter skinned pictures were perceived in a more favorable light than the exact same modelwith darker skin. These conclusions were held by both Caucasian participants and those of various ethnicities.

Further, in some circles (yes, even in the U.S.A), persons of African descent were compared to a brown paper bag. Those whose complexion was lighter than the bag were considerd more socially acceptable.

In certain Asian countries, women who had whiter skin are considered to be more Western and, therefore, more socially acceptable.

For some Caucasians it is difficult to understand and accept these ideals, but as the 20/20 study (and countless others) showed, they are not uncommon. So for certain people of color, in order to "fit in", or to get an appropriate job, to get an appropriate spouse, or just to get ahead in life, etc. skin bleaching is the only option.

The bottom line is that it is not just a simple matter of wanting to "look tanned" or "look white" but, rather, a matter of determining success in life both professionally and personally.

We as humans can all espouse that skin color shouldn't cloud our perceptions, but how many of us unconsciously react otherwise?

Now that I've finished my rant....

For those who are interested in reducing hyperpigmentation or brown acne scarring, the ingredient hydroquinone is very effective. It can be applied all over the skin but it will only target the darker pigments without bleaching your healthy, normal skin. It still takes time to see the results, but it's worth it.

My product of choice is Fading Fluid from Serious Skin Care (www.hsn.com). It is the consistency of water and does not aggravate acne like hydroquinone creams.