Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wantperfectskin

I might cancel my dermabrasion!

Hey everyone,

I might cancel my dermabrasion that is scheduled for 4/11/05. My reason is because I am afraid of pigmentation problems. I live in South CA. and it can get quite hot and sunny.

Dr. Y. said it is very important that I stay/avoid the sun the 3 months (May, June, July) after the dermabrasion. I do not think I can do that because I am sometimes out in the sun because of work.

Has avoiding the sun been a problem for those who had dermabrasion? Any pigmentation problems?

Should I wait until winter to get this done?

Any suggestions/comments?

I had laser resurfacin a month ago. Now I have to wear a SPF 100 sunscreen for 6 months whenever I go out, just to be on the safe side. When in the sun I have to reapply it every 2 hours but it's ok..

I had laser resurfacin a month ago. Now I have to wear a SPF 100 sunscreen for 6 months whenever I go out, just to be on the safe side. When in the sun I have to reapply it every 2 hours but it's ok..

Any SPF higher than 15 or 20 is essentially overkill and won't do anything more than SPF 15 or 20 to protect you from harmful UVA and UVB rays.

Seriously, I can't quote the exact source, but I read in several places that SPF's of 30 and 45 don't do a damn thing more than 15 or 20, and I've never heard of 100, but if it's any more expensive than SPF 15 or 20 sunscreen, you're getting ripped off.

The only thing better than wearing sunscreen is to get yourself a wide-brimmed hat, like a big straw sunhat, and wear that every time you're out in the sun.

Any SPF higher than 15 or 20 is essentially overkill and won't do anything more than SPF 15 or 20 to protect you from harmful UVA and UVB rays.

Seriously, I can't quote the exact source, but I read in several places that SPF's of 30 and 45 don't do a damn thing more than 15 or 20, and I've never heard of 100, but if it's any more expensive than SPF 15 or 20 sunscreen, you're getting ripped off.

The only thing better than wearing sunscreen is to get yourself a wide-brimmed hat, like a big straw sunhat, and wear that every time you're out in the sun.

Hey everyone,

I might cancel my dermabrasion that is scheduled for 4/11/05.  My reason is because I am afraid of pigmentation problems.  I live in South CA. and it can get quite hot and sunny. 

Dr. Y. said it is very important that I stay/avoid the sun the 3 months (May, June, July) after the dermabrasion.  I do not think I can do that because I am sometimes out in the sun because of work. 

Has avoiding the sun been a problem for those who had dermabrasion?  Any pigmentation problems? 

Should I wait until winter to get this done?

Any suggestions/comments?

hi there !! thanks for posting all that info about sunscreen. im really re thinking my spf 15 i been wearing i think im going to look into getting something stronger.

i agree with you that SPF 100 is really a lot (befor i didn't know it existed) but after the laser resurfacing my doctor wrote me a list of things i have to do, and i am following it. the cream i have is Photoderm from Bioderma and it says that it has two types of protection in it the normal protection against sun on the surface of the skin and in addition it works inside the skin cells offering "cellular protection"..or something like that, i threw away the box of the cream, i don't remember exactly anymore.

Hi wantperfectskin,

Sounds like an added risk to me if you have to work outside a lot. The heat and sweat will require you to clean and reapply sunscreen frequently. Wearing a hat will give some additional protection.

Do you have to look presentable in your job too? If you wear makeup, it will melt a lot faster in the heat too.

Regards,

Sword

Yes, I do have to look presentable. Depending on what the day brings, I could be out in the sun for a few hours.

Well from talking to other people, I have decided to cancel it and wait until winter time. Lately, my scars have not been bothering me too much so it it not really that big of a deal.

I saw a Dr in UK and he stated that he only does dermadrasion in winter.

I am from uk and uk isn't that hot in summer,so there is a reason for him to do it in winter and this is because of hyperpigmentation.

I had dermadrasion done in 1996 but i can't remember if it was done in winter or not,but i didn't get any hyperpigmentation,i only got it from when i had laser done in 2001.

Hi Sam

I presume your laser in 2001 was ablative (CO2 or Erbium YAG). In your opinion, which was more effective (dermabrasion or laser) and which had the fewest complications/downsides. If you had it to do all over again, which would you choose or would you pass?

PS. I am also from sunny CA and love to be outside, so I have many of the same reservations as WantPerfectSkin.

Thanks

To be safe, it sounds like a good choice to wait. Does it matter if you wait since you already had the floats? How are they looking now? Are they easily covered with makeup?

I thought after getting punch floats you had to get dermabrasion done within 4-6 weeks. No sooner or later.

Yes, in my area, I think Thanksgiving break would be perfect [because I wouldn't dream of going outside for a good 3 weeks anyway.] You've then got those 4 months to recover well [March isn't too bright until it's end, here in Chicago.]

Well, I cancelled my dermabrasion. I am going to have it done during the winter time instead.

As far as my punch floats, on one of the scars I could still see the circular scar that was left by the instrument used. It does not bother me though.

I do still have the ice picks but they look a lot better than before. One scar was pretty deep to the point where it looked like a big deep hole. Now, the hole has been almost filled in. It no longer has that "stabbed in look".

Since, I am not going to be having my dermabrasion until winter time, I am going to start looking for a doctor to TCA cross the ice pick scars.

Anyone know a doctor in the Los Angeles area that does TCA cross?

As far as my punch floats, on one of the scars I could still see the circular scar that was left by the instrument used.  It does not bother me though.